List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this format on the West Coast board and thought it might help understand our current list position

1665798571288.png

Last edited:

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
A lot of the players you listed are not big bodied mids
Compared to McHenry they are :)
True and I only mentioned the ones I liked and thought we're options.
There's many more and I didn't want to be seen as cherry picking.

They are over 185cm so 2 inches taller than many we selected.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Berry, SPP, Worpel, Cadwell, Hately, Duursma, Rivers, Stevens, O'Driscoll, Poulter, Draper are some I liked.

Rivers I feel was a gift at 32.

We could have taken Ash a bit like a Dangerfield pick and that wouldnt have been without risk.

Kemp and Holland's due to knees slid but were options if we choose to trade down
Bytel another slider due to injuries.

I personally would have thought it logical to keep taking a chance on bigger body midfielder who slid than hang on to the likes of Davis, Knights, etc and even retiring Douglas, Mckay and Thompson a year earlier.
Ned Long is another that comes to mind.

What I'm banging on about is it hasn't been had to get some balance but it's obvious it's not important by those in charge.

It's not as if we haven't had many picks lately.
There's a couple there, but nothing outstanding.

We picked up Nankervis which goes to your theory of late picks, and obviously got Hately in, but Cook is one that could move into the midfield, we know he can play wing. And we moved back into the first round to pick him up, albeit a very late first round.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I presume he means Dylan Stephens there not "Stevens" who is definitely not a big bodied mid by definition.

Hindsight is great hey and not one player there that looks like making it to the elite category, several really good players there though.
I don't think hindsight is actually fair.
There are records of opinions at the time.
I'm a amateur looking from a far so I would expect the professionals to get it better.

I do try and correlate trends and the Norm Smith Medalist is pretty interesting.
The recruiting by Melbourne, Richmond, Dogs has shown clear patterns in the past 5-7 years.

While the list isn't full of superstars I tried to be realistic. Theres many I didn't mention.

Right now I would love to have Berry, Rivers and Draper.
None top 15 picks but very different to what we have picked. Cook would be the closest

I did forget about Coopers injury and I'm less adverse to them now than 5 years ago.

I was very pro W.A. lads in 2019 and noticed how W.A. guys slid from there projected draft range. Robertson, Sharp, Rivers

On another note look at our ruck list management has been over the last decade.
O'Brien, Strachan. Hunter all rookies.

Surely we could have risked 1 or 2 picks on someone between pick 40 and 70.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a amateur looking from a far so I would expect the professionals to get it better.

I do try and correlate trends and the Norm Smith Medalist is pretty interesting.
The recruiting by Melbourne, Richmond, Dogs has shown clear patterns in the past 5-7 years.

While the list isn't full of superstars I tried to be realistic. Theres many I didn't mention.

None top 15 picks but very different to what we have picked. Cook would be the closest

I did forget about Coopers injury and I'm less adverse to them now than 5 years ago.

I was very pro W.A. lads in 2019 and noticed how W.A. guys slid from there projected draft range. Robertson, Sharp, Rivers

When it boils down to it we’ve drafted a s**t midfield and it’s Hamish’s job to build us one. Hindsight is something posters bring out when trying to let him off.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's a couple there, but nothing outstanding.

We picked up Nankervis which goes to your theory of late picks, and obviously got Hately in, but Cook is one that could move into the midfield, we know he can play wing. And we moved back into the first round to pick him up, albeit a very late first round.

Lets put it context to our current midfield.
The majority have been in the system 3 years or less.

Berry shut-down Dawson in the 2nd have this year and its competing with Neale, McCluggage, Lyon, Rayner etc.

Rivers in his second season played every game in a premiership side and has Petracca, Oliver, Viney ahead of him in the midfield.

Worpel averaged 26 disposals in his 2nd year a pick in the 50's

We aren't comparing this list to brownlow favourites but Gallucci, Poholke, Jones, McHenry, etc

I agree that Cook is the closest to a Berry, Rivers type skill wise, composure and smarts.

One also has to consider the picks we have had which are much higher than most of the players I mentioned and we still have guys off rookie list starting in centre square.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

I agree with the ruck bit, I can't work out why we don't at least rookie an 18 year old that's showing enough to be a chance down the track.

As most know I was very bullish about Rowan Marshall in his overage year for the Ballarat Rebels and even when he was overlooked again after moving onto the now defunct Ballarat Roosters in the VFL and being more than competitive with AFL listed rucks as well as playing the swingman Half Forward/Half Back, a big man that can kick like him are so rare.

Same with Sean Darcy anyone that saw him play for the Geekong Falcons knew that once he got in AFL system and lost his puppy fat, got fit and seasoned he was going to be a real top line ruck, one of the few rucks that is top shelf with both hands when it comes to his tap work.

Will Verrall given his groin issues during the pre-season and flare ups since has started a long way back and may struggle to get drafted but I'd still be ecstatic to grab him late/rookie as a development project, unreal athleticism and follow up work is exceptional, plays like a mid once the ball hits the ground.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lets put it context to our current midfield.
The majority have been in the system 3 years or less.

Berry shut-down Dawson in the 2nd have this year and its competing with Neale, McCluggage, Lyon, Rayner etc.

Rivers in his second season played every game in a premiership side and has Petracca, Oliver, Viney ahead of him in the midfield.

Worpel averaged 26 disposals in his 2nd year a pick in the 50's

We aren't comparing this list to brownlow favourites but Gallucci, Poholke, Jones, McHenry, etc

I agree that Cook is the closest to a Berry, Rivers type skill wise, composure and smarts.

One also has to consider the picks we have had which are much higher than most of the players I mentioned and we still have guys off rookie list starting in centre square.

Galluci instead of Berry was a miss, and Worpel just kept sliding on draft night, not performing quite as well now after his impressive first few years.

You mentioned Duursma who may have been more astute than Jones, both in and out of their teams now though.

Both those picks were us seeking speed, Pyke's vision of pace was never realised though.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
It was Jeremy Sharp I was really interested in, he was in the 2019 AFL draft he was taken by Gold Coast the pick before we took Worrall Gold Coast gave up their mid round compensation pick the next year for him which was about pick 13 everyone at the time thought it was crazy but you know what I reckon they'd do it again.

He was super quick, skilled and 189cm

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Both, but you can’t put it all down to development, especially when you’ve got newbies coming in like Soligo who have just got it. We just haven’t drafted many of those.
Yep, in a number of cases, the cream simply rises to the top

We've messed around with where we play quite a few of our young guys, which never helps with development, but sometimes draftees need to show a reason not to be messed around with in the first place

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
The worry is the 2nd year blues. Soligo might still go the same way sholl and shoenberg have and flatline
Hopefully, this past week gone was the start of a return to the Schoenberg of last year, but I need to see an extended run of form

All one can do is hope. I'm optimistic about Soligo at this point in time, at least

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nope not you this was in Collier-Dawkins' draft year...
I was more interested after he came out of his rookie contract, I watched him recently when they gave him a run in the AFL, hasn't come on like I thought he would.

I think the appeal was Collier-Dawkins was supposed to be big with pace.

I think addressing the lack of pace through our midfield is a big issues atm.

Laird has a bit of pace but not outstanding, up and coming mids Berry is similar to Laird, Hately looks slow, Soligo (new favourite) only weakness I can see is his pace, keays average paced.

Jones, Rachelle, Pedlar midfield minutes would address this to an extent. Jones getting a run through the middle in a half SANFL, has given me a bit more confidence he may be able to become a midfielder, but with Hamil out I think he takes that role to the end of the year and hopefully we see him train with the midfield in preseason.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
The worry is the 2nd year blues. Soligo might still go the same way sholl and shoenberg have and flatline
sholl’s problem is he is soft as butter.. and, like the bloke who’s spot he took, he pretty much refuses to tackle.. he’s Rory Atkins with slightly better foot skills.

don’t see anything soft about soligo.. he goes in hard.

shoey has apparently dropped his bundle this year by laking discipline and going out on the piss instead of knuckling down (this is the rumour anyways)..

hopefully Soligo doesnt do anything like that but, if Nicksy is to be believed, he sounds like he’s a bloody hard worker on and off the track and is extremely highly rated by the coaching staff at the club… so thats a good sign.

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
sholl’s problem is he is soft as butter.. and, like the bloke who’s spot he took, he pretty much refuses to tackle.. he’s Rory Atkins with slightly better foot skills.

don’t see anything soft about soligo.. he goes in hard.

shoey has apparently dropped his bundle this year by laking discipline and going out on the piss instead of knuckling down (this is the rumour anyways)..

hopefully Soligo doesnt do anything like that but, if Nicksy is to be believed, he sounds like he’s a bloody hard worker on and off the track and is extremely highly rated by the coaching staff at the club… so thats a good sign.
I reckon sholl is behind Soligo and Cook now.
High chance he's gone the end of the year. I was hoping the contested work would get better and his body would fill out a little more.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I reckon sholl is behind Soligo and Cook now.
High chance he's gone the end of the year. I was hoping the contested work would get better and his body would fill out a little more.

I get the feeling the rumours are true and scholl, the crows and carlton have already half agreed to a trade come the end of year..

Wont be a bad thing even if we didnt get a lot in return.

I get the feeling the rumours are true and scholl, the crows and carlton have already half agreed to a trade come the end of year..

I doubt either club has agreed to a trade, however we've seemingly reached a point where it'd be beneficial to move on a few kids. Sholl and Worrell stand out in that regard.

I'm just concerned about the other side of that coin. Where we overcorrect on how inexperienced we are and go crazy with recruiting experienced spuds to try to push upwards (copying what screwed over Melbourne and Carlton).

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Well we need to create some list spots, got to keep Sloane.

Reckon we will have another with Crouch.

Plus we need some more draft picks.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Tanner Bruhn wants to go to back to a Melbourne club

Could we see in the preseason draft:

1. Bruhn to North
2. Luke Jackson to West Coast
3 or later. Rankine to Crows.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Couple of interesting bits of info, Bruhn you would think is gone.

But for all the talk of Keath wanting 4 years and we couldn't possibly do that, he got 3 with triggers for a 4th. How we didn't offer that contract to him beggers belief.

May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hypothetically if at the End of the Season the AFL said we are stripping North and Stkilda of their licences and all the players from those two clubs went into a mini draft

Pick 1 West Coast - Max King
Pick 2 Essendon - JHF
Pick 3 GWS - Marshall
Pick 4 Hawthorn - Steele

Who would we then Pick?
Pick 5 Adelaide
Also hilarious how we’ve played ourselves out of the top 4 of a made up draft and have pick 5 where there are 4 clear elite picks and the next half dozen are debatable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back