List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we really need MORE developing key forwards? Amiss, Treacy, Kuek is more than enough to develop. We need a mature KPF who will slot in and fill a role perfectly not another 18yo who will develop over the next 3 years. If we're drafting fwds I would like a dynamic small.
You can make a forward line out of David Hales but if you have more dips into the draft you'll be more likely to snag a Franklin or Roughead or both.

There's a big step between elite key forwards and the serviceable ones. We can win a flag with serviceable ones, but an elite one or two can drag the side over the line for a win if the rest of the team is off.

How many mature key forwards that came from the state comps are currently doing anything at AFL level? Podsiadly was one I can think of in the past but not many anymore. The best ones also get picked out mid season so it's slim pickings. You need to develop your own and another ticket in the raffle might suit if the candidate is right, especially if they are a swingman.
Wilson from WC. Mihocek.

More difficult now.

How many mature key forwards that came from the state comps are currently doing anything at AFL level? Podsiadly was one I can think of in the past but not many anymore. The best ones also get picked out mid season so it's slim pickings. You need to develop your own and another ticket in the raffle might suit if the candidate is right, especially if they are a swingman.
Let me clarify. I don't believe we should DRAFT mature KPFs. I think the only KPFs we should be bringing in are mature ones from other clubs via trade or FA. Poor wording on my part.

You can make a forward line out of David Hales but if you have more dips into the draft you'll be more likely to snag a Franklin or Roughead or both.

There's a big step between elite key forwards and the serviceable ones. We can win a flag with serviceable ones, but an elite one or two can drag the side over the line for a win if the rest of the team is off.
Yeah but we don't have a pick until 30. Highly unlikely we get an elite KPF from there. Top 10 fwds are different.

Let me clarify. I don't believe we should DRAFT mature KPFs. I think the only KPFs we should be bringing in are mature ones from other clubs via trade or FA. Poor wording on my part.

Yeah but we don't have a pick until 30. Highly unlikely we get an elite KPF from there. Top 10 fwds are different.
We do have Amiss, but I think we need to become better about our forward play generally before thinking the problem is that we don't have Franklin and Roughead.

I also look at who we do have and think there are more goals if we get hings right.

I think Keeler is some chance to be available to to us and he has the talent.

We could draft Isaac Keeler this year and achieve both. But you're spot on. Talls this draft are special because they've had a window in their training where they were on the couch and will fall well behind their smaller team mates, if we can measure their work rate outside of a beep test or 2km time trial then we could pinch some real talent later while other clubs are using more traditional measures of effort - drafting smalls at the top of the table.

If Gold Coast are lining up Ginbey with their pick, don't be surprised to see WC trade up to get it off them. The idea that WC could have swapped #2 to get #8 and #12 expecting to pick up Ginbey and Hewett with them and then having to trade #8 and #12 to GC to get #5 and let's say a future second from GC.

But should he be drafted to GC we should be trying to get him back in four years.

The only club they could trade up to is Essendon who would apparently ask for a lot for pick 4. Not sure they'd be willing to trade back to 8

There is a real chance Ginbey and Allen could both be gone by the time the Eagles pick

The only club they could trade up to is Essendon who would apparently ask for a lot for pick 4. Not sure they'd be willing to trade back to 8

There is a real chance Ginbey and Allen could both be gone by the time the Eagles pick
GC flew all the way over to Margaret River on Tue to meet with Ginbey and his family. You don’t do this unless you have a very strong interest.

I think he will end up at GC. They have been keen for a while.

As for Allan i think he will end up between 10-17. A very good chance for West Coast at their second pick 13. They have reportedly put a lot of time into Allan. Geelong at pick 8 some interest but there will be better options available at pick 8.

Fremantle has the 7th last pick in the draft currently. Two of those are Melbourne picks.
These are the selections:
#30, #43, #44, #65, #70, #77

I count 36 players, 5 rookies (Schultz, Treacy, Worner, Banfield, Kuek) = 31 primary listed players = 5 to 7 primary list picks
Given we have six picks on the AFL list, one of our rookies is elevated.

If we use #30, #43, #44 and #65 to bring us up to the minimum 36 primary list players we then have room for 2 rookie selections.

We can pass our pick #70 and if our NGA players are bid on right at the end of the draft we can still match it otherwise they will be available for Category B listing.

So I suspect it will be:
#30 Jones/Hagan
#43 SA Tall/Phillips
#44 Broadbent/SA Tall
#65 Small forward

Cat-B Draper
Cat-B Scaife

Rookie: Scully/Lemmey
Rookie: Running mid
I thought the rules changed and if we pass on our nga then they now have to make it through the pre season draft before they are cat b?

That was direct from Freo about Benning last year

GC flew all the way over to Margaret River on Tue to meet with Ginbey and his family. You don’t do this unless you have a very strong interest.

I think he will end up at GC. They have been keen for a while.

As for Allan i think he will end up between 10-17. A very good chance for West Coast at their second pick 13. They have reportedly put a lot of time into Allan. Geelong at pick 8 some interest but there will be better options available at pick 8.

I liked the bit where they said

“"In terms of the drafting, the volume of the work is done, it's just an opportunity to take our welfare manager over and meet with the family and discuss what it could look like."

That’s pretty serious commitment by the Suns and suggests more than a little interested.

Or they just came over to sample the wine, and book holiday accom.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Allan is being looked at by Geelong at the pick before West Coast, Busslinger is about the only area of ground that they aren't in need.

I suspect the narrative will be that the players at the top of the draft were all flight risks so they needed to move that pick #2 out anyway.

Ginbey is the player they need.

OK here stuff about Grizzly Adams.

If Twitter's Chris Read is on here then thank you.

And thank you to Lee Trevino for reminding me that Grizzly Adams has a beard.

I like Ready on Twitter and he’s obviously a bit of a superfan.
But when it comes to the draft, I can’t take him seriously. He literally only rates WA talent and nothing else.
If Ready had his way in 2019, we would have let Hayden young and Caleb Serong slide to Carlton and Melbourne respectively and instead used pick 7 & 8 on Deven Robertson and Jeremy Sharp.
Yep, that’s how ridiculous only drafting Western Australian players looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is
30 Gilbey
43 Adams
44 Some vic/Sa forward/mid we've never heard of even though Hagan and Cole are still there
67 Some ruck

Rookie
That mature dude who's already been delisted twice
B Draper
B Scaife

I'm actually ok with Gilbey if it means either he or Chappy etc can move up the ground in time. He honestly sounds like the most Freo player in the whole pool outside of Allen.

I like Ready on Twitter and he’s obviously a bit of a superfan.
But when it comes to the draft, I can’t take him seriously. He literally only rates WA talent and nothing else.
If Ready had his way in 2019, we would have let Hayden young and Caleb Serong slide to Carlton and Melbourne respectively and instead used pick 7 & 8 on Deven Robertson and Jeremy Sharp.
Yep, that’s how ridiculous only drafting Western Australian players looks.

There'll be a Sth Oz flavour to our draft I reckon.

Allan potentially going top 10... He was missing from most top 30s prior to the combine!
I really like the thought of AllAn - but, his kicking needs a fair bit of work, same with his hurt factor.
Look, the combine results don’t lie, but I want a little more exposure than what we have seen if I’m spending a top 15 or even a top 20 pick on him.
Not our problem as we currently only have our first pick at 30, has massive potential based on physical attributes- but I would rather see someone take the risk, hopefully he develops and we can poach back to Freo in the future.
If we could trade up to a pick around 20 - absolutely I would do that - just can’t see it happening.
Also, just saw Darcy Jones is a West Coast fanboi - stuff that, send me Keeler at pick 30ish

I thought the rules changed and if we pass on our nga then they now have to make it through the pre season draft before they are cat b?

That was direct from Freo about Benning last year
Someone might be able to confirm but my understanding is:
If pick 70 comes up and no one has bid on our academy players we can pass. We still have that later pick 77. There is only a handful of clubs after pick 77 and many of those will prob Pass.

Personally I think we’ll get four picks in before any bids. Reportedly Richmond have some interest in Conrad Williams. We can match if we want with our fourth pick 65. I think we’ll run the gauntlet with the other two getting through after 77 to Cat-B rookie.

There is a small opportunity for a couple of clubs to pick up Scaife/Draper with one of the last couple of picks in the draft.

We ended up selecting Benning with our last pick after passing on an earlier one because we got wind that Essendon would pick him after our last ND selection.

I wonder whether any thought went into trading up ie our last pick in the 50’s for the very last pick around 65 to call out Essendon’s bluff. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Someone might be able to confirm but my understanding is:
If pick 70 comes up and no one has bid on our academy players we can pass. We still have that later pick 77. There is only a handful of clubs after pick 77 and many of those will prob Pass.

Personally I think we’ll get four picks in before any bids. Reportedly Richmond have some interest in Conrad Williams. We can match if we want with our fourth pick 65. I think we’ll run the gauntlet with the other two getting through after 77 to Cat-B rookie.

There is a small opportunity for a couple of clubs to pick up Scaife/Draper with one of the last couple of picks in the draft.

We ended up selecting Benning with our last pick after passing on an earlier one because we got wind that Essendon would pick him after our last ND selection.

I wonder whether any thought went into trading up ie our last pick in the 50’s for the very last pick around 65 to call out Essendon’s bluff. Just a thought.
I think if they take him in the ND then we just get a pick at the end of the draft anyway as clubs can have unlimited picks at the end of the draft

The new rule was if he makes it through the draft but another team leaves a spot open then they can take him in the PSD and we can't match a PSD pick, meaning we don't get them as a cat B

This is all laid out in the "behind the draft" thing that freo did last year, either part 3 or part 4

edit: Behind the draft part 3: A 196cm forward/ruck from the country

But there was one new twist in the draft rules that could catch Fremantle out, and it meant that every time Essendon had a selection on the second day of the NAB AFL Draft, Freo’s recruiters paid close attention.

But the worst-case scenario could happen if Freo tried to walk Benning through as a Category B rookie.

In previous years, as what occurred with the likes of Leno Thomas and Isaiah Butters, Fremantle’s NGA nominees would automatically become Category B rookies if they went unselected at the National Draft.

But under these new rules, clubs with selections in the pre-season draft could take these players and there would be no opportunity for Freo to match with a bid.

“Essendon had a pick in the pre-season draft and had interviewed Roy twice, had they picked him in that pre-season draft, we would have had no ability to match,” Walls said.

“We just wanted to take any risk out of him going to another club and just pick him ourselves.

I think if they take him in the ND then we just get a pick at the end of the draft anyway as clubs can have unlimited picks at the end of the draft

The new rule was if he makes it through the draft but another team leaves a spot open then they can take him in the PSD and we can't match a PSD pick, meaning we don't get them as a cat B

This is all laid out in the "behind the draft" thing that freo did last year, either part 3 or part 4

edit: Behind the draft part 3: A 196cm forward/ruck from the country

But there was one new twist in the draft rules that could catch Fremantle out, and it meant that every time Essendon had a selection on the second day of the NAB AFL Draft, Freo’s recruiters paid close attention.

But the worst-case scenario could happen if Freo tried to walk Benning through as a Category B rookie.

In previous years, as what occurred with the likes of Leno Thomas and Isaiah Butters, Fremantle’s NGA nominees would automatically become Category B rookies if they went unselected at the National Draft.

But under these new rules, clubs with selections in the pre-season draft could take these players and there would be no opportunity for Freo to match with a bid.

“Essendon had a pick in the pre-season draft and had interviewed Roy twice, had they picked him in that pre-season draft, we would have had no ability to match,” Walls said.

“We just wanted to take any risk out of him going to another club and just pick him ourselves.
Thanks forgot about the ole PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back