• Angus
  • Johnson and Meek for WC 1st round
OR
Erasmus for WC 1st and 2nd
  • WC 1st for Horne-Francis
  • our 1st (plus something/WC 2nd) for Jackson
  • Lobb for Zurhaar
  • Treacy for Shannon Neale

Unrealistic and unpopular, but as Hawthorn did with us, we need to give something to get something.
Some of these trade suggestions are totally unrealistic.
Erasmus for pick 1 and pick 19? I mean, I like Neil and all but he’s not Chris Judd or Wayne Carey!
Likewise - a reserve ruck taken with pick 70 a few years ago and a promising but unproven pick 21 from last year who is yet to play in the AFL for pick 1?
The eagles fans would Burn Lathlain to the ground if that happened and I couldn’t blame them!

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Look at those trades the other way around, why would we trade players with three years contracted for less than far overs.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Let’s see:

Angus - maybe if we have the cap space.
Johnson and Meek - West Coast won’t do that for Pick 1/2.
Erasmus - As above, let alone the extra pick as well.
Horne-Francis - North won’t trade him
Jackson - Maybe if the something else is next year’s first
Lobb/Zurhaar - North have forward/rucks on their list. Lobb is too old. They’ll want a draft pick.
Treacy/Neale - Way in Geelong’s favour at this stage.

I think we lack balance in our list, and also have too many players in development. The best opportunity we have to win a premiership is when Fyfe, and to a lesser extent Mundy and Walters are on our list. That's the next 2 seasons.

What we don't need is more players in development. We don't need development depth, we need playing depth.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Some of these trade suggestions are totally unrealistic.
Erasmus for pick 1 and pick 19? I mean, I like Neil and all but he’s not Chris Judd or Wayne Carey!
Likewise - a reserve ruck taken with pick 70 a few years ago and a promising but unproven pick 21 from last year who is yet to play in the AFL for pick 1?
The eagles fans would Burn Lathlain to the ground if that happened and I couldn’t blame them!
Assuming Johnson debuts and plays well he will be a very attractive player for them. Meek seems to be the best listed AFL ruck not in a best 22. Pretty common for rucks to be taken with late picks isn't it?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If you even dream of trading Erasmus and Johnson to West Coast, you better wake up and apologise.
OR

What I dream about is winning a premiership. That's the only point for debate. I think those trades would make that more likely. The same debate Hawthorn had when we grabbed at Croad.

Ge3ks

In Cars Getting Coffee
Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
What I dream about is winning a premiership

I would consider those two players essential pieces to winning multiple premierships.

I'll give you Meek, Lobb, Tucker and our future draft currency to play with, but not Ras and Johno. That's self immolation territory.

And the thought of us helping West Coast get better is not ok.

Superkoops

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you even dream of trading Erasmus and Johnson to West Coast, you better wake up and apologise.
Agreed. Neither are going anywhere. We are in a good position where we can let them do the majority of their developing at WAFL. As has been the case Erasmus has played a few games and Johnson might get a look in later in the year but they will be playing a fair bit at Peel. Henry is warming slowly to the Wing position with more games at Peel. NOD played a full season at WAFL in 2021 and looked good when he came into the side this year. At times last year some were saying NOD won’t make it. Give them time at Peel. Same goes for Treacy and Amiss.

We don’t need to be trading out these youngsters for even younger draftees just because a brand new shiny present looks more appealing. Freo were apparently line ball between picking Erasmus or Johnson at 10. They are good friends and played a lot of juniors together at Subiaco.

West Coast will end up with pick 1 or 2. Good chance if they end up with pick 2 that will drop a spot with Marcus Ashcroft prob in that top 3 mix. They have to hold this pick and go to the draft. It would be a big mistake for them trade out pick 1-3 and they would get crucified if they did so.

Some of the trades put forward by the likes of Adelaide and Richmond to get a hold of North’s pick one were much much more appealing than the proposed.

Absolutely pointless even discussing Eagles trading their early pick in my opinion.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
OR

What I dream about is winning a premiership. That's the only point for debate. I think those trades would make that more likely. The same debate Hawthorn had when we grabbed at Croad.

Of course they would… as would the following trades:

Connor Blakely for Clayton Oliver
Bailey Banfield for Bayley Fritsch
Darcy Tucker for Max King
Mitch Crowden for Jason Horne-Francis
Nathan Wilson for Luke Jackson
Future Fourth Rounder for Charlie Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad