List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing that happened that week was kind of a bigger story wasn't it? As in the very first thing that came out of the AFL news in WA on the Monday after that game was huge news that deserved it's own time.

So if we lose to GWS and they announce Logue's extension next week we'll all go in to finals feeling good?? Nonsense.

Wilson played a brilliant game this year.
Why wouldn't you pay out Hamling first and keep willow around for another year. He has still got it going on .. and he bleed purps

Both are handy depth, personally I'd keep both. If Logue stays and we se him as a forward then we're an injury to Cox/Pearce away from needing Hamling.

I'd like to see Sturt's gym numbers because although I see plenty of players who are slight and stringy with incredible strength (Paul Bowers comes to mind) Sturt appears to have been overtaken in physical development by Erasmus and Johnson in 10 months.

Less than 8% body fat or GTFO?

:cool:

There is zero chance that Will Brodie takes one penny less than what he’s paid this year. Why would he?
After the season he’s had, he would be close to the AA squad of 40. Just because Gold Coast overpaid him in early seasons, doesn’t mean freo get to underpay him now. He’s performing at the level a $550-600k player is expected to perform at, so he will look to be rewarded accordingly.
If anything I would imagine his agent will be looking for a pay rise, and a deal of at least 3 years in length.

In terms of why would he - who else will pay him 550-600K a year? North Melbourne? Eagles? Adelaide (Adelaide feels the biggest potential maybe)? Don't get me wrong, he has been really good this year but he is not so important to our team / list that if he went we would lose sleep over it. In the short term if he went Fyfe would probably take his place, whilst in the medium term Erasmus plays an almost carbon copy of him with some better aspects like better fitness/endurance and a better defensive game.

There is zero chance that Will Brodie takes one penny less than what he’s paid this year. Why would he?
After the season he’s had, he would be close to the AA squad of 40. Just because Gold Coast overpaid him in early seasons, doesn’t mean freo get to underpay him now. He’s performing at the level a $550-600k player is expected to perform at, so he will look to be rewarded accordingly.
If anything I would imagine his agent will be looking for a pay rise, and a deal of at least 3 years in length.
He deserves it
Would be interested to see where he sits in the hard ball gets list .
The boy does it tough every week.
He’s becoming one of my favourite players.

In terms of why would he - who else will pay him 550-600K a year? North Melbourne? Eagles? Adelaide (Adelaide feels the biggest potential maybe)? Don't get me wrong, he has been really good this year but he is not so important to our team / list that if he went we would lose sleep over it. In the short term if he went Fyfe would probably take his place, whilst in the medium term Erasmus plays an almost carbon copy of him with some better aspects like better fitness/endurance and a better defensive game.
Adelaide are have too many inside mids already. Keays plays his role. Plus they have crouch.

Agree with the rest.

Because he signed for three years when he moved across from Gold Coast for $400,000 a season with GC paying an extra $200,000 for the first year here, prior to his performance this season.

I'm not expecting any contract news on Brodie this off season and for him to be at preseason.

What else can JL say? We have no forwards but I think Sturt is s**t so he'll play for Peel.

Lets see if he gets picked. If he's not good enough to be in the 23 this week I think he'll be de-listed.

You're right but JL mentioned Sturt with out any prompting. Didn't have to bring him up but did.
I thought it was interesting and a message to Sturt that do the right thing and we will back you in.

He deserves it
Would be interested to see where he sits in the hard ball gets list .
The boy does it tough every week.
He’s becoming one of my favourite players.
All the credit just doesn’t go to Brodie though. He was on his last chance at AFL.
It works because he is a good fit with our other mids, the chemistry is right.
He was embraced by the club, when the reality is we wanted that second
rounder.
Fyfe’s injury opened the door, I’d think he would be thankful that he ended up at
a club going places.
The correlation with Barlow is obvious.

All the credit just doesn’t go to Brodie though. He was on his last chance at AFL.
It works because he is a good fit with our other mids, the chemistry is right.
He was embraced by the club, when the reality is we wanted that second
rounder.
Fyfe’s injury opened the door, I’d think he would be thankful that he ended up at
a club going places.
The correlation with Barlow is obvious.
We were looking at recruiting Brodie before that deal came about when MacPherson to North Melbourne fell through.

You're right but JL mentioned Sturt with out any prompting. Didn't have to bring him up but did.
I thought it was interesting and a message to Sturt that do the right thing and we will back you in.

I'd like to know exactly what Sturt has been told he needs to do or work on.

I don't think he's the type who will ever dominate at the lower level, so if we're waiting for that than it may never happen. I think he's the type who will step up at the top level with better players around him and better service. But that needs us to be creative at the selection table - like Collingwood were with Ash Johnson. He was promoted off one good game after a few weeks of quiet ones, then steps up and looks at home with AFL level ball movement.

Given how conservative we've been this year, it seems unlikely we'll suddenly take a chance in round 23. But I think it'll be worth it...and I'm not willing to give up on my praise of Sturt in his draft year.

Gary Rohan has been signing one year deals with Geelong for a while and I think Sturt will slip right into that position with the Cats should they decide not to renew Gary's deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sitting next to Brodie at the barbers last week. Bloke doesn’t even have a boot sponsor 🤯 wasn’t happy about it.

What else can JL say? We have no forwards but I think Sturt is s**t so he'll play for Peel.

Lets see if he gets picked. If he's not good enough to be in the 23 this week I think he'll be de-listed.
Nah, I still can’t see him getting delisted. He has talent but a busted body. It’s finally been coming good but he’s lost confidence. 1 more year, even on the rookie list would be worth it for Freo in case it all clicks over the off season. Someone trumping a 1 year offer with more years is more likely in my opinion than a delisting.

Just interjecting because there seems like some confusion but footywire is almost definitely wrong and Brodie is signed up for another 2 years after this one. It is generally understood that his prior contract of 600k for this year was extended for another two years. Brodie could be on as little as 200k this year and two years after that.

If that sounds ridiculous, remember he was essentially delisted by GC, so we gave a delisted dude 3 years. That was the price we paid for getting paid to take him, just turns out the whole package was an absolute steal, not just the draft picks

Just interjecting because there seems like some confusion but footywire is almost definitely wrong and Brodie is signed up for another 2 years after this one. It is generally understood that his prior contract of 600k for this year was extended for another two years. Brodie could be on as little as 200k this year and two years after that.

If that sounds ridiculous, remember he was essentially delisted by GC, so we gave a delisted dude 3 years. That was the price we paid for getting paid to take him, just turns out the whole package was an absolute steal, not just the draft picks
I do tee we reading he came over on a 3 year deal or that his contract was re worked.

Yeah Brodie has a 3 year deal and it was reported at the time, only problem is that noone can ever find that article again, whether it was wiped from the net for some reason is interesting but you'd think that the info isn't wrong.

Brodie's output is brilliant compared to his price, an absolute steal, but I don't think he's best 6 or 7 inside midfielders in the comp good.

1660615294470.png
These are bloody good numbers, but compare them to say Petracca who is having a moderate year by his standards and likely to not make the final AA (unless it's on the forward flank):
1660615537235.png
Or Rory Laird:
1660615629635.png

These guys aren't getting selected ahead of Neale, Oliver, Brayshaw, Walsh etc.

My (small) problem with Brodie is that, while agains he is a steal, scrapheap to top 20 inside mid trade of the year story, he is playing for us as effectively the number 1 inside only mid, and whilst he's good, he's just not that good compared to the the other top number 1 inside mids in the comp.

I suppose we've been spoiled by the luxury of having pretty much the number 1 of those players of the last 7 or 8 years out there every week until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back