List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were trading Lobb for Neale, I would be expecting a second rounder to come back our way as well, Lobb is a known quality while Neale is very speculative at this stage, seems like a better forward than Meek and has a couple of years in development on Benning but have no idea how he is going as VIC had few VFL games this year.

Let’s see Neale is:
- Out of Contract in 2022
- Hasn’t played an AFL game.

If those two things stay the same he’s truly worth **** all. Lobb wouldn’t form part of the equation.

The question is apart from being from WA and being a forward/ruck, what’s he done for this board to be keen on him?

Let’s see Neale is:
- Out of Contract in 2022
- Hasn’t played an AFL game.

If those two things stay the same he’s truly worth **** all. Lobb wouldn’t form part of the equation.

The question is apart from being from WA and being a forward/ruck, what’s he done for this board to be keen on him?

Neale is out of contract in 2023. The fact he had 2 years to run was one of the primary reasons a trade wasn't going to get done

List management hasn't been a strength for them for a long, long time.
they went all in with accumulating b graders after their rebuild failed frankly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every year at least 7 or 8 players are delisted. It’s ruthless but that’s pro sport I guess.
For this season I would say the following are under the most pressure, basically facing career saving seasons:
Mitch Crowden - lucky to be re-rookied when he was OOC. I quite like some of what he brings the team, particularly his ball use by foot but he doesn’t get enough of it, simple as that. Will be surprised if he’s there in 2023.
Connor Blakely - being delisted and rerookied as a 25 yo in contract is not a good sign for him. I get the sense he’s not Jlo’s type of player, can’t see him being extended at this stage beyond this year. Free agent in 2022 so if he joined another club we would get a compensation pick I believe?
Blake Acres - final year of his contract. On thin ice I reckon, doesn’t really have any standout traits at AFL level. Needs a massive season to earn a new deal
Bailey Banfield - a perennial candidate to be delisted, he seems to just do enough each year to hang around. Would surely need to play at least 10 AFL games to have a chance of staying - if he spends most of the year at Peel he’s surely on the way out.
Luke Valente - 4th year on the list and yet to play a game. Surely he’s got to play some AFL games this year to stay around? Would be nearly unprecedented for a midfielder to spend 5 seasons on an AFL list without playing a game I’d say. Faces stiff competition for a spot from Brodie, Blakely, Tucker, Banfield, Johnson and even Erasmus.
Trav Colyer - would have probably been number one on this list last year but an excellent season earned him a new one year deal. Age not on his side and will need an equally good season this year to stay around.
David Mundy - at 36 he’s always going to be on this list. For me, if he stays fit he’s clearly in the best 10 players at the club, probably even best 5. So I think he’s going to play every game again this year and get a new deal in 2023 to bring 400 games within striking range. What a legend.
The reality is that 40 more games from Mundy is more valuable to freo that probably the output of everyone else on this list put together.
Karl Worner - the last 19 year old we rookied lasted one season (Pina). Hopefully Karl will be different, but the odds of his draft position suggest he’ll be going well to still be here in 2023.
Sam Sturt - of course he’s got talent. But he’s just has to get on the park and play a decent stretch of footy this year. One of the most injury prone players ever to be listed by freo, so far in his career anyway. Even if it doesn’t go well for him again this year I can see them keeping him around on a rookie list as he’s too talented and plays a position of real need for us, unlike some others on this list.
Joel Western & Nathan o Driscoll - both OOC next year I believe. They have youth on their side though so even if they can each play a few games they should be extended I’d say.
I haven’t included any potential traded out players. Lobb is the obvious candidate. Hopefully no one else wants to leave that’s good, unlike Cerra last year.
Anyone else I’ve missed on this list?
Who is most likely to lift themselves off the canvas and away from the trap door, earning themselves a new deal through good performances like Colyer and Schultz did last year?
EDIT: I forgot Nathan Wilson! Definitely in the last chance saloon too I reckon. A lot of competition for his position too doesn’t help his cause either.

Last edited:
Current out of contract players for 2023:
Sturt
Logue
Acres
Walters
Aish
Crowden
Wilson
Mundy
Blakely
Pearce
Valente
O'Driscoll
Walker
Colyer
Western
Banfield
Worner

Priority signings (Group A):
Sturt, Logue, Pearce

Group B:
Walters, Aish, Mundy

Group C:
O'Driscoll, Walker, Colyer

Group D:
Western, Worner, Blakely, Wilson, Banfield, Valente, Acres, Crowden

Current out of contract players for 2023:
Sturt
Logue
Acres
Walters
Aish
Crowden
Wilson
Mundy
Blakely
Pearce
Valente
O'Driscoll
Walker
Colyer
Western
Banfield
Worner

Priority signings (Group A):
Sturt, Logue, Pearce

Group B:
Walters, Aish, Mundy

Group C:
O'Driscoll, Walker, Colyer

Group D:
Western, Worner, Blakely, Wilson, Banfield, Valente, Acres, Crowden
Walker should be Group B

Every year at least 7 or 8 players are delisted. It’s ruthless but that’s pro sport I guess.
For this season I would say the following are under the most pressure, basically facing career saving seasons:
Mitch Crowden - lucky to be re-rookied when he was OOC. I quite like some of what he brings the team, particularly his ball use by foot but he doesn’t get enough of it, simple as that. Will be surprised if he’s there in 2023.
Connor Blakely - being delisted and rerookied as a 25 yo in contract is not a good sign for him. I get the sense he’s not Jlo’s type of player, can’t see him being extended at this stage beyond this year. Free agent in 2022 so if he joined another club we would get a compensation pick I believe?
Blake Acres - final year of his contract. On thin ice I reckon, doesn’t really have any standout traits at AFL level. Needs a massive season to earn a new deal
Bailey Banfield - a perennial candidate to be delisted, he seems to just do enough each year to hang around. Would surely need to play at least 10 AFL games to have a chance of staying - if he spends most of the year at Peel he’s surely on the way out.
Luke Valente - 4th year on the list and yet to play a game. Surely he’s got to play some AFL games this year to stay around? Would be nearly unprecedented for a midfielder to spend 5 seasons on an AFL list without playing a game I’d say. Faces stiff competition for a spot from Brodie, Blakely, Tucker, Banfield, Johnson and even Erasmus.
Trav Colyer - would have probably been number one on this list last year but an excellent season earned him a new one year deal. Age not on his side and will need an equally good season this year to stay around.
David Mundy - at 36 he’s always going to be on this list. For me, if he stays fit he’s clearly in the best 10 players at the club, probably even best 5. So I think he’s going to play every game again this year and get a new deal in 2023 to bring 400 games within striking range. What a legend.
The reality is that 40 more games from Mundy is more valuable to freo that probably the output of everyone else on this list put together.
Karl Worner - the last 19 year old we rookied lasted one season (Pina). Hopefully Karl will be different, but the odds of his draft position suggest he’ll be going well to still be here in 2023.
Sam Sturt - of course he’s got talent. But he’s just has to get on the park and play a decent stretch of footy this year. One of the most injury prone players ever to be listed by freo, so far in his career anyway. Even if it doesn’t go well for him again this year I can see them keeping him around on a rookie list as he’s too talented and plays a position of real need for us, unlike some others on this list.
Joel Western & Nathan o Driscoll - both OOC next year I believe. They have youth on their side though so even if they can each play a few games they should be extended I’d say.
I haven’t included any potential traded out players. Lobb is the obvious candidate. Hopefully no one else wants to leave that’s good, unlike Cerra last year.
Anyone else I’ve missed on this list?
Who is most likely to lift themselves off the canvas and away from the trap door, earning themselves a new deal through good performances like Colyer and Schultz did last year?
EDIT: I forgot Nathan Wilson! Definitely in the last chance saloon too I reckon. A lot of competition for his position too doesn’t help his cause either.

I’d say that there’s very few Freo rookies that don’t last into a second season. Worner would have to be very average or have a poor attitude to get cut after one season.

Wouldn’t read too much into Pina or Butters who were cut in a year where we had to cut our list. Outside of those I’m not sure it’s happened in the last decade at Freo tbh.

Actually Alex Howson was one year but the guy told the club not to renew his contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back