List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m more thinking what are our weakness area’s, that we need to cover.

If people thing, nope we got it all covered, don’t you worry about that. Well I feel different.

Sure some of the new recruits may plug some of the holes, but to be honest the NGA has a bit of turnover, so expecting Benning to replace Lobb when Lobb has 10cm on him is a hard ask.

Re scham’s Pearce reference.., gee if he was injured again or retired soon, then who will play against the > 198cm monster forwards…

Put that on the want list as well. a tall >198cm Athletic Defender to handle the Hawkins/Dixon’s who regularly tear us new ass#£+¥%} .

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

If people thing, nope we got it all covered, don’t you worry about that. Well I feel different.

Sure some of the new recruits may plug some of the holes, but to be honest the NGA has a bit of turnover, so expecting Benning to replace Lobb when Lobb has 10cm on him is a hard ask.

Re scham’s Pearce reference.., gee if he was injured again or retired soon, then who will play against the > 198cm monster forwards…

Put that on the want list as well. a tall >198cm Athletic Defender to handle the Hawkins/Dixon’s who regularly tear us new ass#£+¥%} .
You mean someone like a Sam Collins?

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You mean someone like a Sam Collins?
Collins isn’t really that player either, we tried to make him, put weight on.
All it did was make him slower, and then delist
I’d like to think Benning could be played in several positions.
As with most forwards playing defence teaches them the negating tactics.
But if you are losing the midfield battle, enough supply can’t stop the great forwards getting the edge.
Hamling has proved you don’t need to be a giant to be effective.
We have great readers of the play it’s why Chapman should be best 22.
I’d prefer one of the backs to play forward if we need balance.
But the only two that could are Cox or Chapman.
Logue? Pearce and Hamling have shown little forward before.
As always injury will have its say, Pearce and Hamling have played very little together.
The future is Chapman, Cox, Logue, Ryan on the talls
A true small forward is what’s really missing, a player like Pickett, Dees really nailed their targets.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Dees have Lever and May at roughly the 194cm mark.
Harrison Petty was drafted at 195cm and is now listed at 197cm.
Benning is the only player that could be a comparison?
I like the idea of how Oscar Allen was developed early on.
Having Benning play all along the spine to me is smart insurance against injury, could debut earlier than expected.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Dees have Lever and May at roughly the 194cm mark.
Harrison Petty was drafted at 195cm and is now listed at 197cm.
Benning is the only player that could be a comparison?
I like the idea of how Oscar Allen was developed early on.
Having Benning play all along the spine to me is smart insurance against injury, could debut earlier than expected.
Surely the only way he is plays early is multiple injuries? Or perhaps season over, play some rookies?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given where we stand list wise, what are we in need of, to balance our list and provide development opportunity as a team in 2-3 years time.

Retiring or just getting old!

Mundy
Walters
Lobb
Tabs got maybe 3 left
Hamling is he ever getting back
Fyfe
Colyer
Wilson

I’m thinking

FWD/Ruck
Key Forward
Sneaky pick pocket forward, with goal sense

I’m somewhat hesitant to have too many tall forwards and/or forward/rucks on the list tbh.

At this stage there’s Taberner, Lobb, Treacy, Amiss and Benning. Even drafting one more is borderline too many to play at Freo and Peel seniors. Not sure being smashed by 60-100 points down at Peel reserves or being the fourth key forward in Peel’s forward fifty are great ways to develop key forwards. Without proper opportunity it would be much harder for these players to develop. It’s quite clear we have other needs (like small forward) so let’s not put all our eggs in one basket.

Given the situation of Lobb and Taberner getting older I’d be inclined to draft one more and leave it at that. It’d give us Treacy, Amiss, Benning and one more developing which is plenty imo.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m somewhat hesitant to have too many tall forwards and/or forward/rucks on the list tbh.

……..

Given the situation of Lobb and Taberner getting older I’d be inclined to draft one more and leave it at that. It’d give us Treacy, Amiss, Benning and one more developing which is plenty imo.

I think you dismissed and then agreed that we need another developing forward… slap my head, but when people look at it, it makes sense!

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you dismissed and then agreed that we need another developing forward… slap my head, but when people look at it, it makes sense!

My point was a key forward AND a forward/ruck may be too much for the club to develop properly with the limited spots we have available in the senior teams at Freo and Peel.

It’s all about opportunity to develop and I don’t see how we achieve that with too many talls on the list. I fear a similar situation we had 3-4 years ago when we had 5-6 rucks on the list and now we sit here and two of them are left. At least we got one good one I guess but he was always the most talented and the only one actually given the right opportunities at the right time for him to develop.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

At this stage there’s Taberner, Lobb, Treacy, Amiss and Benning. Even drafting one more is borderline too many to play at Freo and Peel seniors. Not sure being smashed by 60-100 points down at Peel reserves or being the fourth key forward in Peel’s forward fifty are great ways to develop key forwards. Without proper opportunity it would be much harder for these players to develop. It’s quite clear we have other needs (like small forward) so let’s not put all our eggs in one basket.

Treacy and Benning are pretty speculative and Lobb may leave. I'm OK with adding another tall, especially a forward. I tend to agree with the idea that forwards can transition to defenders if needed.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Treacy and Benning are pretty speculative and Lobb may leave. I'm OK with adding another tall, especially a forward. I tend to agree with the idea that forwards can transition to defenders if needed.

If Treacy is speculative than I don’t know which young tall isn’t? Just because he is a rookie doesn’t make him speculative. That first season was pretty bloody impressive.

Agree on Benning but when he reaches the stage where he’s ready to play WAFL seniors we shouldn’t be playing him in the WAFL reserves because we have too many talls. It was this type of list management that ****ed Strnadica. He might benefit from WAFL reserves this year but is less likely to next season.

If Lobb leaves and we have a half decent season they’ll be almost no option other than to trade for another forward/ruck imo. As scary as that is given our trading history, it’d be a step back at the wrong time if we just drafted an 18 year old to replace him.

There’s already plenty of options down back. Not every player can simply swing back. Taberner played there a few games early in his career and he was rubbish. There’s far more potential on our list for key defenders to go the other way.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If Treacy is speculative than I don’t know which young tall isn’t? Just because he is a rookie doesn’t make him speculative. That first season was pretty bloody impressive.

Agree on Benning but when he reaches the stage where he’s ready to play WAFL seniors we shouldn’t be playing him in the WAFL reserves because we have too many talls. It was this type of list management that ****ed Strnadica. He might benefit from WAFL reserves this year but is less likely to next season.

If Lobb leaves and we have a half decent season they’ll be almost no option other than to trade for another forward/ruck imo. As scary as that is given our trading history, it’d be a step back at the wrong time if we just drafted an 18 year old to replace him.

There’s already plenty of options down back. Not every player can simply swing back. Taberner played there a few games early in his career and he was rubbish. There’s far more potential on our list for key defenders to go the other way.
For sure young tall forwards are speculative. I'm not highlighting it as a particular issue with Treacy. Amiss as well.

I struggle to think of a KPD who has successfully transitioned to a KPF. I'm sure it has happened.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
For sure young tall forwards are speculative. I'm not highlighting it as a particular issue with Treacy. Amiss as well.

I struggle to think of a KPD who has successfully transitioned to a KPF. I'm sure it has happened.
Naughton. Plenty have been swung forward and got the win as a shock tactic.
McDonald at the Dees is ok in their structure.
Pavlich was great in defence, I think dual position players are gold, Elvis?
I’ve seen a few since the inception of AFL. Fletcher, Silvagni.
Carey against us at CHF and CHB.
WC had a few, even remember Jason Ball starting in the backline.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo

Lobb has 10cm on most of his opponents forward so why doesnt he destroy them?

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lobb has 10cm on most of his opponents forward so why doesnt he destroy them?
It’s the total parts, and now we actually have an experienced forwards coach.
Structurally we have been fixing a leaking boat on the run.
Lobb isn’t a once in a generation forward, sure he is tall but compared to Paul Salmon, etc, doesn’t have the physical size, game to dominate.
Even he would acknowledge that staying at Freo he will have to take a pay reduction. Not a marquee player, but an important cog.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It’s the total parts, and now we actually have an experienced forwards coach.
Structurally we have been fixing a leaking boat on the run.
Lobb isn’t a once in a generation forward, sure he is tall but compared to Paul Salmon, etc, doesn’t have the physical size, game to dominate.
Even he would acknowledge that staying at Freo he will have to take a pay reduction. Not a marquee player, but an important cog.
I understand the flak throw Lobb's way, but I think he has been poorly used and our forward line poorly structured. He isn't a power forward, he is a giant third tall or something along those lines.

It has also suffered by missing personnel. If we have Erasmus and Sturt in the mix I think our forward coach will have a dream job.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is playing the position. I'd give that one a tick for sure. Until he fixes his kicking he still looks like a defender to me.
Still kicked 47 goals for the year. Bulldogs looked good with him and Bruce playing.
They had a great year, but I’m still confused why they didn’t go to a taller forward line.
Wasted JUH, and once Bruce was injured didn’t have the firepower.
With Darcy added. Could have the best talls in the league?

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still kicked 47 goals for the year. Bulldogs looked good with him and Bruce playing.
They had a great year, but I’m still confused why they didn’t go to a taller forward line.
Wasted JUH, and once Bruce was injured didn’t have the firepower.
With Darcy added. Could have the best talls in the league?
Darcy adds what they are missing which is a genuine FWD/Ruck, English is not performing as either at the moment. It will take a few years for Darcy and JUH to develop but once they do it will be a very formidable trio.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is playing the position. I'd give that one a tick for sure. Until he fixes his kicking he still looks like a defender to me.
Takes a contested grab like a key forward - which then puts his set shots reasonably proximate. But yes - can put in a Tabs howler every now and then.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Takes a contested grab like a key forward - which then puts his set shots reasonably proximate. But yes - can put in a Tabs howler every now and then.
it was interesting in the recent draft with Alleer who has a lot of similar traits, especially a game that is going to see him play as a jumping, marking machine, but also an unreliable kick. I doubt he'll ever become a forward. He just projects as too valuable as a defender. Naughton likely the better kick, but their marking ability makes them real weapons.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

The Luke Jackson rumours are heating up. His family is very keen for him to come home with everything going on around Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back