theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Also I think people may need to get used to our salary cap being a bit tighter going forward.

Jackson would be first priority if available. Acquiring him probably puts our cap just about at bursting point. If it happens there’s no way we can afford Bolton and/or Brayshaw. Zurhaar may be different- it’d just be finding the picks to get that done that’d be the issue.
The immediate salary for Jackson would come from Lobb being traded.

Tucker for Zurhaar?

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Dustin Martin does move they will have two years of his salary to throw around, potentially front a contract for Bolton with a spare couple of million dollars and secure that player for their rebuild.
Very true but I reckon Bolton was definitely sniffing around last year. I will see if I can pull any info out.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We might be between a rock and a hard place with Logue tbh.

To those saying we need to keep him for depth, I say it again - The system is designed so clubs cannot keep players as good as Logue for depth purposes.

I’m not sure whether his motivation is around money or game time, however whatever it is the club needs to come to the party. It’s unlikely he’ll sign on as ‘depth’ for two reasons:
  • 1. Most other clubs in the league could basically guarantee him a game every week.
  • 2. Clubs willing to play him every week will offer him best 22 level money. From a salary cap perspective it makes little sense for us to do the same unless he’s best 22.
I think him being best 22 can work but I also think Cox and Pearce are far more important to our best 22 and if any of the three KPDs needs to sit out a week due to match ups it’s Logue.

Ultimately I think he ends up re-signing but both him and the club need to come to an understanding on what his role is before they start talking about contracts.
He’s not depth though.
He’s playing every game the last couple of weeks and I don’t see him being dropped at all given his form in the last 3 or 4 games.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Following on from the draft thread and trying to keep it purely on draft, Zurhaar is a bit of a priority for me. If we could get Gus and Zurhaar, I think that's a lot better for us than just Jackson.

I'd really love to bring Zurhaar in
Have been harping on about Zurhaar in purple for years now. He’d be brilliant for us.

He’s not depth though.
He’s playing every game the last couple of weeks and I don’t see him being dropped at all given his form in the last 3 or 4 games.
We're in a really awkward situation where Logue is best 22 on talent and performance to date but team balance is better with 1 of Ryan, Pearce, Cox and Logue not play9ing.

Pearce has the added benefit of being the only one of the lot that can play on the 197cm+ monsters

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
We're in a really awkward situation where Logue is best 22 on talent and performance to date but team balance is better with 1 of Ryan, Pearce, Cox and Logue not play9ing.

Pearce has the added benefit of being the only one of the lot that can play on the 197cm+ monsters

Cox needs to play up forward more, especially when Tabs is out.

No not really, they're quite close though and he has been homesick a bit. Would obviously prefer to be in a side on the up etc. So there's definitely a chance.
Now you've gone and done it, now I have hope

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Now you've gone and done it, now I have hope
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s not depth though.

The last couple of weeks? So have the players that were dropped this week.

My point is he’s too good to be depth at an AFL club whether that’s here or somewhere else. He’s a best 22 level player who’ll be offered that level of money, maybe better, by other clubs.

My point was that the argument that we need to keep all of our KPDs so we have enough depth is slightly flawed. The system is designed so it’s very difficult to keep players good enough to be best 22 but aren’t best 22 on your list. This applies to any team that has an abundance of quality in any area tbh. Logue, if he’s behind Pearce and Cox would be the best player in the league that is the third best KPD on their list.

He’s been dropped twice this season which is likely a large reason why he’s not considering offers right at this moment. Either he plays every week from now on or he’ll probably leave imo.

Last edited:

Kings of the State

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a duckin parasite

The last couple of weeks? So has Josh Treacy.

My point is he’s too good to be depth at an AFL club whether that’s here or somewhere else. He’s a best 22 level player who’ll be offered that level of money, maybe better, by other clubs.

The argument he needs to be kept for depth is flawed. The system is designed so it’s very difficult to keep depth players that are good enough to play in other clubs best 22s (this could apply to a number of our defenders on our list - not just Logue). Either we give him best 22 money and opportunity like he deserves or he leaves.
Treacy reminds me of my doberman. Goes very hard when someone is his backyard but isn't a footballer.... Yet.

Trading Lobb would do nothing for the salary cap 2024 onwards when it is more likely to be a problem.

We only have 11 players contracted for 2024 and beyond.
4 players 2025.

The longer the deal the easier it is to fit. Don't forget Fyfe's $1,300,000 comes off at the end of 2023.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We only have 11 players contracted for 2024 and beyond.
4 players 2025.

The longer the deal the easier it is to fit. Don't forget Fyfe's $1,300,000 comes off at the end of 2023.

Those four players signed for 2025 would be Johnson, Erasmus, Brayshaw and ????

There’s some really big names for us out of contract in 2023 and 2024. It’s going to be hard to fit everyone in imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back