List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure he's so highly rated by the players? From what I understand, someone overheard Hamling and Hughes at Cicerellos recently, discussing their thoughts on the best back 6, and neither gave Logue much consideration.
Why, for the love of all that is sacred, would two players go out into a public place to discuss the dynamics of the team and the merit of including particular players in our defence? That's what mobile phones and the privacy of your own home is for!! I call bs.

Why, for the love of all that is sacred, would two players go out into a public place to discuss the dynamics of the team and the merit of including particular players in our defence? That's what mobile phones and the privacy of your own home is for!! I call bs.

Mobile phones aren't private

Are you sure he's so highly rated by the players? From what I understand, someone overheard Hamling and Hughes at Cicerellos recently, discussing their thoughts on the best back 6, and neither gave Logue much consideration.

Mmm so 2 guys not in the best 22 talking about whose spot could they see as gettable..

Logue shuts down mobile forwards ( Curnow) and small forwards (Charlie Cameron) regularly and has done so whilst providing intercept marks and rebounding.

I don’t get the whipping boy effect on here.

The number of KPDs we have and the depth on our list has nothing to do with whether we keep Logue imo. I see it as a flawed argument when talking about a player that clearly thinks (and should think) he’s best 22. As I keep saying it’d be his decision to leave not the club’s.

He’d be best 22 at most clubs so it’s up to the club to show that’s how they see him.

Pearce, Cox and Logue can and will play in the same side imo.

It’s not quite like the KPFs at Melbourne. They can’t all play in the same side and two of the three KPFs have come very very close to leaving in the last two trade periods. The salary cap system is designed to make it hard to keep good players that are not best 22 and it was.

I think we keep Logue and hope we do but the salary cap system and market demand imo will make it much harder to keep Logue than a lot of you think it’s going to be.
I understand what you are saying Docker82, but it’s not like every team has just 22 quality player and then only developing fringe players from 23-41 on their lists.
Top sides in the AFL have 28-30 players that can easily play in a flag winning side in my opinion and can all be called best 22.
The Dees are a good example of this scenario. Probably the Lions too at the moment.
An example of the type you refer to who was pushed out would be Patrick Lipinski at the Dogs, who only played 5 or 6 games for the dogs last year and moved to the pies for that reason because he was clearly behind the other dogs midfielders.
If Logue spends 7 or 8 weeks in a row in the WAFL your point stands.
But he won’t. He’s going to play at least 18 games this year if he stays fit. More if we add a couple of finals.
That not a depth player.

Overheard Hamling and Hughes…..
Hamling is a lock down KPD with very average disposal and can’t get o. The park for the past 2-3 years.
Hughes, tries hard - always has but he has zero game sense and is prone to massive brain farts.
If either of these two didn’t rate Logue- I wouldn’t be bothered if I was Griffin Logue.

My take on Logue, he is absolutely required and after Cox our most flexible defender, he has accountability to a big name player every game.
Pearce is subject to injury over his career and Chapman has played the loose defender in his career thus far.
Logue is grunt and solid as, sure he has the odd disposal fcuk up but so do all of the others- I reckon Luke Ryan has had mor flangers this year than Logue - no one talking about him as being average…

Overheard Hamling and Hughes…..
Hamling is a lock down KPD with very average disposal and can’t get o. The park for the past 2-3 years.
Hughes, tries hard - always has but he has zero game sense and is prone to massive brain farts.
If either of these two didn’t rate Logue- I wouldn’t be bothered if I was Griffin Logue.

My take on Logue, he is absolutely required and after Cox our most flexible defender, he has accountability to a big name player every game.
Pearce is subject to injury over his career and Chapman has played the loose defender in his career thus far.
Logue is grunt and solid as, sure he has the odd disposal fcuk up but so do all of the others- I reckon Luke Ryan has had mor flangers this year than Logue - no one talking about him as being average…
Rumour has wings and takes off. 🤪The cicerellos story was a piss take on another poster (can remember who) supposedly having overheard our current back six talking about Logue.
Gawd I love big footy.

Don't equate conjecture about a yet-to-sign player with wanting to trade them.

Logue works in the part of the ground where we have the most list depth. That he may be traded is a topic for discussion, not just here but in other boards and I'm the media.

Also, we have thrown up trade targets who would require a significant cache of picks or players to bring in. If you want to discuss Jackson coming, it inevitably leads to discussion of someone like Logue going.

I understand what you are saying Docker82, but it’s not like every team has just 22 quality player and then only developing fringe players from 23-41 on their lists.
Top sides in the AFL have 28-30 players that can easily play in a flag winning side in my opinion and can all be called best 22.
The Dees are a good example of this scenario. Probably the Lions too at the moment.
An example of the type you refer to who was pushed out would be Patrick Lipinski at the Dogs, who only played 5 or 6 games for the dogs last year and moved to the pies for that reason because he was clearly behind the other dogs midfielders.
If Logue spends 7 or 8 weeks in a row in the WAFL your point stands.
But he won’t. He’s going to play at least 18 games this year if he stays fit. More if we add a couple of finals.
That not a depth player.

How many players on our list are guaranteed best 22? In other words who would never not be in the side if they’re 100% fit. It’s far less than 22 players. Probably more like 15-16 at most.

There’s a difference between being guaranteed best 22 and being in the next 10-15 on a good list that are constantly fighting for their chance every week. Logue so far this season is clearly in the second group.

For someone like Logue playing every single week and earning an extra 50-100k might by a greater opportunity too good to refuse. If he plays every game left this season he’s available I expect him to stay and if the club considers Logue a required player (I believe they do) I expect them to make that happen.

Richmond lost plenty of players at their best that weren’t ironed on best 22. Until recently though they always had enough kids coming through from underneath that depth wasn’t a problem the next season.

Last edited:
How many players on our list are guaranteed best 22? In other words who would never not be in the side if they’re 100% fit. It’s far less than 22 players. Probably more like 15-16 at most.

There’s a difference between being guaranteed best 22 and being in the next 10-15 on a good list that are constantly fighting for their chance every week. Logue so far this season is clearly in the second group.

For someone like Logue playing every single week and earning an extra 50-100k might by a greater opportunity too good to refuse. If he plays every game this season I expect him to stay and if the club considers Logue a required player (I believe they do) I expect them to make that happen.

Richmond lost plenty of players at their best that weren’t ironed on best 22. Until recently though they always had enough kids coming through from underneath that depth wasn’t a problem the next season.
The players Richmond lost are not comparable to Logue.
Relatively speaking, Logue is a better and more talented player than guys like Conca, Brandon Ellis, Jacob Townsend, Callum Coleman Jones, who were all pushed out the door at Richmond due to better offers elsewhere.
The only decent player I can think of that left the tigers in recent years is Chol and he’s still probably a bit unproven.
I think freo will pay Logue what he’s worth and it will be pretty similar to what others are offering. His stocks have also risen since the season started. I’d argue he’s in career best form right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside - how the * did Richmond con North into giving what will be a top 20 pick for bloody coleman Jones??
Jeez that deal stinks in hindsight. Richmond must be laughing

The players Richmond lost are not comparable to Logue.
Relatively speaking, Logue is a better and more talented player than guys like Conca, Brandon Ellis, Jacob Townsend, Callum Coleman Jones, who were all pushed out the door at Richmond due to better offers elsewhere.
The only decent player I can think of that left the tigers in recent years is Chol and he’s still probably a bit unproven.
I think freo will pay Logue what he’s worth and it will be pretty similar to what others are offering. His stocks have also risen since the season started. I’d argue he’s in career best form right now.

Ellis is a pretty decent player to let go but otherwise agree.

We’ve also got to look at retirements and delistings. I’m sure Melbourne would’ve loved to have given Jones and Vendenberg another year but the salary cap made that too difficult.

For us Nathan Wilson is someone that probably won’t get another deal. Mundy won’t play forever either - he might play next year but every season he plays on the less likely he is going to the season after. Doubt Hamling gets another deal at the end of 2023 either. There’s a bit of salary cap space right there.

Isn't he a little undersized for a KPF

Undersized with poor athleticism.

From what I saw last year though he’s a smart footballer so there’s a chance he makes it. He does not however possess anywhere near the level of skill and athleticism Amiss has. Amiss has a few cms on him as well.

Shannon Neale is also kicking a few goals in the VFL. Let’s wait to see it more consistently for both. I’ve been wrong about players in the past.

Undersized with poor athleticism.

He’s a natural footballer so there’s still a chance he makes it imo. I haven’t seen him since last year but given what I saw last year Amiss is a far better prospect.
I will have to tune and have a look at him on the VFL live stream. He’s in the Melbourne system so his S&C will be excellent.
The debate on our board between the 2 players was robust. I was pleased we picked up Amiss but would have loved JVR also. If we can get JVR back to Freo end of next season than let’s do it. I think however Melbourne will be to astute for that.
Who’s JVRs manager

I don’t trust players who have their best year in contract years , plus we’ve put a lot of games into him and carried him through plenty of injuries and now he wants to duck off because he’s left out a couple of times for team balance

duck him

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
I don't trust people with upside-down eagles players as their avatar.

Duck you.

JL realised that playing 3 KPD wasn't working for us so decided on playing 2 instead. Pearce is taller and a better lock down defender than logue and Cox is a better interceptor and distributor than him. Has got coaches votes in three games this year though.

Thanks for the response that's really interesting. I think there'd be a lot of clubs across the league watching Logue closely. A top talent who hasn't cemented his spot in the team.

I read the Fox article where he was pretty categorical about wanting to stay in Perth which has to be good news for Freo.

It makes you wonder if he doesn't cement his spot in the 22 what his contract is worth? I'd expect a few clubs may offer more than Freo would be willing to in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back