Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
That was last weekend wasnt it? They also said they would be meeting with him during this week gone by to discuss things ... So has anyone heard anything from these meetings?

The story was reported in yesterday's Sunday Mail and there does not appear to have been any change. I am puzzled that it has taken Jase so long to commit to a Club that his father played 240 AFL games for and where both his father and uncle played in a Premiership. He has also indicated that he would like to stay in Adelaide but still has not committed to Port.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The story was reported in yesterday's Sunday Mail and there does not appear to have been any change. I am puzzled that it has taken Jase so long to commit to a Club that his father played 240 AFL games for and where both his father and uncle played in a Premiership. He has also indicated that he would like to stay in Adelaide but still has not committed to Port.
I wonder if he is trying to save face in case Port don’t commit to him?

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
So did I, but this article in the Tsier / News Corp papers the other day, going thru every sides list, was the first time I had read/ heard Motlop hasn't resigned and that Frederick was elevated onto the main list. Its why I am assuming Fredrick's elevation is accurate, until I hear otherwise.

Given the number of slots we have and the number of low Draft picks we have I will not be surprised if we have elevated a Rookie to the main list and Frederick showed enough to warrant a closer look. As you post there has been no official announcement about the elevation only sketchy media reports. The PAFC website is full of farewells and a welcome to Jeremy Finlayson but no mention of Frederick's elevation.

As for Steven Motlop he will be 31 at the beginning of 2022 so I would not think he would be offered more than a 2 year deal if that.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder if he is trying to save face in case Port don’t commit to him?
I have a theory players try and hold out now to try and leverage a better initial deal/commitment than the standard 2 year deal.

It's a unique situation where draftees have some leverage.

Last edited:

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know, but it's word for word repeating of what was reported last week, just recycled news because they actually have nothing new to add.

What we do know is that, subsequent to this, during this last week the club has met with Jase and his management. As yet nothing has been reported by either party on the outcome. I reckon he was a bit miffed last week knowing his bro was about to be cut, but I also reckon he would be silly to reject a FS nomination and throw himself to the open draft. He will not get any better development elsewhere, he gets to remain in Adelaide, and he furthers the Burgoyne/Port relationship & history. To chuck that in would be petty IMO, and I dont think the Burgoyne clan are that.

People have short memories. The Burgoyne stuff is the same bullshit dance we did with Lachie Jones 12 months ago.

Don't talk it up in the media, so that other clubs don't bid too high for him. Remember Lachie Jones talked about being happy being drafted by other clubs? We said we are interested, but will have to wait to draft night. That was just media bs spin to not play our hand in public.

Jase wouldn't have played 4 quality games for the Maggies mid season, didn't get dropped, if we weren't interested.

Last edited:
People have short memories. the Burgoyne stuff is the same bullshit dance we did with Lachie Jones 12 months.

Dont talk it up in the media, so that other clubs dont bid tko high for him. Remember Lachie Jones talked about being happy being drafted by other clubs? We said we are interested but will have to wait ti draft night. That was just media bs spin to mot play our hand in public.

Jase wouldnt have played 4 quality games for the Maggies mid season, didnt get dropped, if we werent interested.
We expecting him to develop in the back pocket like in the few games he played last year for us at SANFL level?

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I have warmed to Dumont. He would come in having to earn a first team spot and knowing he starts as depth in the SANFL. He is a role player and could be very useful playing a role in September.

I also want Dudley as a late pick. He is a class small forward with pace, goal sense and very good tackle numbers. The Cows have passed on him as an academy player meaning they won’t match a bid even in the late 70’s. Of course he is 166 cm, so even shorter than Caleb Daniel but his size is not so important in the position he plays.

We expecting him to develop in the back pocket like in the few games he played last year for us at SANFL level?
I think we were protecting him by playing HBF/BP in those 4 games. He's only about 64kgs. He's a midfielder and that's how we should develop him as he stacks on the weight over the next 3 or 4 years.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
On the Jase Burgoyne issue, I think REH is correct and this is the same dance we did last year with Jones. Also, I don’t think we have done our interviews yet. I understand we have not spoken to Draper who you would expect us to. He may not be in our top 14, but he could slide and there might be an opportunity to grab him later. Due diligence would have us chat to him at some stage.

So maybe we are doing our interviews late this year.

Other thing about not talking too often and too much to F-S or NGA prospects, is that the club can't be 100% certain what they say in public. You don't want them to say - I have had 10 interviews with Port over the last 18 months - and give the game away to other teams so that they can bid early and we go into a huge deficit or lose a bargain buy. If he has a manager, Port would be talking to him, and Jase and Peter get a filtered message from him.

Its all like playing a hand in poker and bluffing your way thru a game.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Sure but I don’t want to miss out on Jase. We’ve waited a quarter of a century to get a rated father/son prospect and I don’t want this opportunity to slip by. Jase could be our first (legitimate) ND father/son in 25 years. Our draft picks are lined up so that it is inconceivable we have to use our first on him and we should have enough points to get him, or take a points deficit.

These opportunities don’t grow on trees.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other thing about not talking too often and too much to F-S or NGA prospects, is that the club can't be 100% certain what they say in public. You don't want them to say - I have had 10 interviews with Port over the last 18 months - and give the game away to other teams so that they can bid early and we go into a huge deficit or lose a bargain buy. If he has a manager, Port would be talking to him, and Jase and Peter get a filtered message from him.

Its all like playing a hand in poker and bluffing your way thru a game.
Yeah, unless it's a clear cut future gun like Daicos if clubs don't plaster everything in the media in advance, it's tended to be they'll get a bit of a discount on where you'd expect the player to otherwise have been selected, before another club decides to 'keep them honest'. Jase is far enough back (30-50 range) that we'll have no issue matching bids. Given they bid on Jones, Collingwood with all those picks in the late 30's and 40's are the one's who may bid early in that 30-50 range. Adelaide at 33 would probably be too early for them to be their usual dicks. If they get a pick in the 40's through some pick swaps prior to the draft I wouldn't be surprised for them to make a bid with it, if no one else has by then.

Last edited:
Given the number of slots we have and the number of low Draft picks we have I will not be surprised if we have elevated a Rookie to the main list and Frederick showed enough to warrant a closer look. As you post there has been no official announcement about the elevation only sketchy media reports. The PAFC website is full of farewells and a welcome to Jeremy Finlayson but no mention of Frederick's elevation.

As for Steven Motlop he will be 31 at the beginning of 2022 so I would not think he would be offered more than a 2 year deal if that.

I'd prefer we offer a contract to Motlop, one week at a time

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I didn’t want to post this in the Skinner thread because I really hope Sam makes it and becomes a premiership player with us and I don’t want to discourage the lad but how many AFL players have shone after 3 recons? Serious question.

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I didn’t want to post this in the Skinner thread because I really hope Sam makes it and becomes a premiership player with us and I don’t want to discourage the lad but how many AFL players have shone after 3 recons? Serious question.

I am not sure there are too many that have gone 3+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motlop and Port are really playing the long game with the contract decision.
Still waiting on official announcements for Motlop, Schofield, Mead and McEntee.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely Mead gets a contract?
Either way, not great signs that both Mead and Schofield have been left on the backburner for so long.

Reaffirms my suspicion that we drafted them as we had cheap access to them, and really just hoped they would have a late growth spurt to get to more standard midfielder size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back