List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

It's understood St Kilda, Geelong and Richmond – all clubs that need to conduct deals during the sign and trade period – have asked about trading their first-round selections back in moves that would see them secure multiple later Hawthorn picks.

So we are trying to split pick 16. Probably a necessary move considering the players to trade in, and hopefully leaves us without too much damage to our draft haul.

Hopefully pick 37 will get Stevens done which they will use in their other deals. We really need to keep that first pick.
Do you mean McKinnon? I have my doubts as to whether 37 will get that one done. I definitely agree the priority should be keeping the first pick, even if it means promises we've made to experienced players can't be kept.

Given how quick the trade happened and how that pick was essentially our 3rd round pick, I wonder if it was upgraded to that pick by the AFL always with the intention of always being traded to Carlton as some extra compo for how hard the expansion sides hit them. Or I might be too much of a conspiracy theorist here.
The league has form on that front, given they basically had GWS overpay Carlton for Dalton last year, which looked super-suspicious on the back of Tayla Harris going to Melbourne for a couple of blah picks. Given how quickly things went down with the Stevens trade post draft announcement, I'm totally on board with your conspiracy theory and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or give you my preferences in your next senate run.

Last edited:
So we are trying to split pick 16. Probably a necessary move considering the players to trade in, and hopefully leaves us without too much damage to our draft haul.
I hate it, I hate it, kill it with fire. Hawthorn's first tradeable picks are currently 15 and 17 in the Vic order and likely to move down at least one once the Huntington trade goes down. I just cannot see how landing McKinnon could possibly be worth giving up a shot at one of the top-end NAB Leaguers in this draft.

Do you mean McKinnon? I have my doubts as to whether 37 will get that one done. I definitely agree the priority should be keeping the first pick, even if it means promises we've made to experienced players can't be kept.

The league has form on that front, given they basically had GWS overpay Carlton for Dalton last year, which looked super-suspicious on the back of Tayla Harris going to Melbourne for a couple of blah picks. Given how quickly things went down the Stevens trade post draft announcement, I'm totally on board with your conspiracy theory and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or give you my preferences in your next senate run.
Sorry, I meant McKinnon. I agree, we need to keep that first pick. Given GWS will likely be on trading what we give them to the Dogs, I'd also try that 2nd rounder with and first in exchange for their first. We keep a first rounder but it would give the Dogs the first non-expansion pick of the Vic draft.

But now with that information of us trying to trade future picks to get the deals done, the above scenario is not likely to occur.

The AFL also have form on the mens side - Geelong mysteriously getting a higher FA compo pick than expected to give Gold Coast is the most blatant example of it.

Sorry, I meant McKinnon. I agree, we need to keep that first pick. Given GWS will likely be on trading what we give them to the Dogs, I'd also try that 2nd rounder with and first in exchange for their first. We keep a first rounder but it would give the Dogs the first non-expansion pick of the Vic draft.
I still hate trading down, but I like this a lot more than trading for Hawthorn's late firsts.

But now with that information of us trying to trade future picks to get the deals done, the above scenario is not likely to occur.
Like trading 2023 picks? I missed that one. Not sure how I feel about, TBH. There would need to be restrictions. I don't trust that current AFLW teams all are putting the same attention to detail as each other. I'm a little worried that the Saints are getting a little into the mode of we have to get everybody who wants to play for us, damn the costs. I think pick 16 is better than it looks or sounds and I'd be very wary of trading 2023 picks ahead of this season. I'm hoping they know better than I do.

The AFL also have form on the mens side - Geelong mysteriously getting a higher FA compo pick than expected to give Gold Coast is the most blatant example of it.
Motlop, was it? I've never been 100% sold that wasn't a result of either incompetence (bad formula) or Port giving too much for him rather than corruption. But yeah, most likely scenario is them making up the rules as they go along.

Off-topic, but on the compo front, the journos who were overestimating Crouch's salary getting found out when he was awarded band 3 will never not be funny.

Fitzpatrick is Fitz-back-trick. I believe Munga should be pleased.

Also, pick 28 had to be traded, lending greater credence to to BrutThrough's conspiracy theory. Keep watching the skies.
Good to get Fitzpatrick back.

Makes sense that the compo had to be traded given how quickly it happened but wasn't it just our 3rd round pick upgraded? Seems a bit unusual because if it was a concession with strings attacked, what happened to our other pick.

Wonder why WC and GC got to sign state league players yet we weren't granted that. Maybe they didnt want us stepping on the toes of the new clubs in Vic?

Fitzpatrick is Fitz-back-trick. I believe Munga should be pleased.

Wow, that's a pretty epic return! Yeah I've been wondering about Clara returning for... years... sheesh has it been that long??

I remember Clara being a courageous and solid defender, got KO'd taking a cracking mark.

I'm impressed with the club too, they said they would bring Clara back. COVID stuffed up the return, then an ACL. But still sticking together.

Turning 32 this year, so hopefully the body is holding up well.

Last edited:
Makes sense that the compo had to be traded given how quickly it happened but wasn't it just our 3rd round pick upgraded? Seems a bit unusual because if it was a concession with strings attacked, what happened to our other pick.
Based on prior information, I was expecting the Saints second pick to be pick 27, which was 15th in the Vic order, the pick that was swapped is 28 which is 13th in the Vic order. It may be that the Blues and Saints had agreed to the deal for that pick prior to the announcement that Hawthorn would be drafting half of the southern hemisphere, so they moved the Saints 3rd round pick to keep the trade about the same and give some amount of compensation to both teams (both of whom probably deserve more). That's a guess anyway.

Wonder why WC and GC got to sign state league players yet we weren't granted that. Maybe they didnt want us stepping on the toes of the new clubs in Vic?
I'm very disappointed in that aspect, but it's also possible St Kilda's management didn't ask for the concessions, so didn't get it. Any extra signings would mean more delistings, so it may be the plan to take any potential mature agers as draft picks. There's a couple of mature agers running around the VFLW that I'd love to see at the Saints next season. I'd much rather draft mature agers after 37, depending on what draft picks are left post trade week. Late round NAB Leaguers don't have a very high strike rate in the AFLW.

Wow, that's a pretty epic return! Yeah I've been wondering about Clara returning for... years... sheesh has it been that long??

I remember Clara being a courageous and solid defender, got KO'd taking a cracking mark.

I'm impressed with the club too, they said they would bring Clara back. COVID stuffed up the return, then an ACL. But still sticking together.

Turning 32 this year, so hopefully the body is holding up well.
Fitzpatrick potentially allows Friend to play more as a forward or a wing as well. At the very least it gives the club options in defence which is never a bad thing.

Contract quandary​

Young St Kilda star Georgia Patrikios remains on the Saints’ list.

Patrikios missed the recent season after a refusal to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

Unlike Varnhagen, who was moved to the inactive list, Patrikios held her spot on the Saints’ list as is permitted under the league’s vaccination policy.

The policy allows for a player to stay on the list and not be replaced, with the player to be paid “not less than 25 per cent of their contracted salary”.

News Corp reported in March that there had been a hope of renegotiating a new deal for the midfielder.

St Kilda told Moneyball on Wednesday that discussions remain ongoing regarding Patrikios’ status on the playing list.

“The club is currently in discussions with Georgia and her management about what a contract for seasons seven can look like given the current AFL mandates,” the club said in a statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contract quandary​

Young St Kilda star Georgia Patrikios remains on the Saints’ list.

Patrikios missed the recent season after a refusal to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

Unlike Varnhagen, who was moved to the inactive list, Patrikios held her spot on the Saints’ list as is permitted under the league’s vaccination policy.

The policy allows for a player to stay on the list and not be replaced, with the player to be paid “not less than 25 per cent of their contracted salary”.

News Corp reported in March that there had been a hope of renegotiating a new deal for the midfielder.

St Kilda told Moneyball on Wednesday that discussions remain ongoing regarding Patrikios’ status on the playing list.

“The club is currently in discussions with Georgia and her management about what a contract for seasons seven can look like given the current AFL mandates,” the club said in a statement.

How good if we could have this back in the midfield.

I am on board with keeping GP listed until 2023 in the hope the AFL moves on the mandate tbh. We're paying for the hope she will reciprocate the loyalty if she's allowed to play, it's a large gamble but you take that for talented players like her. But I do wonder how the wider team feels about it. Does it eat at the fabric of the W team that we're paying her to do nothing?

This below is in the same article:

Unvaxxed Crow eyes return in bombshell move

Moneyball is hearing that two-time premiership-winning Crow Deni Varnhagen could be eyeing a return to football, potentially even making an explosive switch to cross-town rivals Port Adelaide.

It’s understood the quick winger would be seeking a return for the AFLW’s eighth season starting in 2023.

Varnhagen is a foundation Crow who won the 2017 and 2019 premierships with the club and took out Adelaide’s 2019 best defensive player accolade.

But the 173cm footballer was moved onto Adelaide’s inactive list for the 2022 season when she refused the Covid-19 vaccine, which went against the AFL’s mandatory vaccination policy.

The registered nurse has also since been part of a high-profile Supreme Court challenge to SA’s vaccine mandates.

It comes as the SA Football Commission last week approved the removal of the SANFL’s Covid-19 vaccination policy.

The policy, adopted in December 2021, required all players, coaches and support staff, including volunteers, in all state league competitions and talent programs to be fully vaccinated for the 2022 season.

SANFL CEO Darren Chandler said: “In line with Adelaide Oval’s removal of mandatory vaccination for attendees, and the removal of vaccination mandates by a number of key organisations such as SAPOL, we believe it is now safe and appropriate to remove vaccination requirements.”

This means that Varnhagen, who played for Glenelg in the SANFLW competition, would be free to play next season and could then eye a return to AFLW in 2023 if the AFL also removes the mandatory vaccination policy.

When contacted by Moneyball, Varnhagen, 29, said: “I’m super keen to return to footy as soon as possible, but I’m in a unique situation so I have to wait and see how everything unfolds”.

Varnhagen has played 31 games for the Crows since 2017.

The AFL’s firm vaccine mandate remains in place, and it has maintained that it will continue to be guided by government and health authorities.

The policy has allowances to be reviewed should government directions change at any time.

Just posted these on the main board, but not everybody reads there. If anybody is at all interested in replays of NAB League or champs games in advance of the draft...

Nab League:

Champs:

Good work. Bring in a position we need without needing to give up too much.

So, 8 players have gone out. We've officially brought 2 in. Fitpatrick rejoins the list. Kelly will only take a late pick.

Leaves us with picks 16 (7), 54 (28), 66 (34) and 84 (44) to fill the last 4 list spots.

Getting these picks in return is very handy and pretty much necessary for us.

Fun fact, our four eldest players were also our four tallest players... until today.

Watt, Shierlaw, Fitzpatrick, Cutting.

McKinnon has shot past all of them by 3cm.

My enthusiasm for McKinnon was always going to be dependent on cost. Trading down from 37 to 54 really isn't much of a cost at all.
So, 8 players have gone out. We've officially brought 2 in. Fitpatrick rejoins the list. Kelly will only take a late pick.

Leaves us with picks 16 (7), 54 (28), 66 (34) and 84 (44) to fill the last 4 list spots.
Have you factored in the list finishing the season at 31 players? I've lost count of everything with all the player movement. Hopefully I can get my bearings again once trade week is over.

I'm thinking the draft will be one high-end junior early and then a couple of mature-agers or re-drafts late. Potentially somebody from the Southern Saints, but not necessarily.

Went down 9 Vic spots for McKinnon, we have to be happy with that.

With the additions of Fitzpatrick, Stevens, McKinnon, and I'll count Kelly, that's 27 on the list. That meets the three draft pick minimum. Does Fitzpatrick get taken with our late draft pick or pre/post draft?

Would Watt and Patrikios be on the inactive list, or is that basically cutting them off from payment? That could be another two spots.

And yeah I was wondering about the Southern Saints potential. Stuart, Laing, Buchan, De Angelis, Kearns, Jolliffe etc... could be a few putting their hand up. Maybe we'll look at other VFLW teams too?

My enthusiasm for McKinnon was always going to be dependent on cost. Trading down from 37 to 54 really isn't much of a cost at all.

Have you factored in the list finishing the season at 31 players? I've lost count of everything with all the player movement. Hopefully I can get my bearings again once trade week is over.

I'm thinking the draft will be one high-end junior early and then a couple of mature-agers or re-drafts late. Potentially somebody from the Southern Saints, but not necessarily.
I didn't factor that in. I was just looking at one in, one out from the delisting list.

That would then leave 3 spots for the draft at this point. But when we need to find out what is happening with both Watts and Patrikios.

Watts hasn't been delisted yet but we know she wont be playing so maybe the scenario where he sign someone as her replacement closer to the season?

And yeah I was wondering about the Southern Saints potential. Stuart, Laing, Buchan, De Angelis, Kearns, Jolliffe etc... could be a few putting their hand up. Maybe we'll look at other VFLW teams too?
Those names are probably the more likely ones from the Southern Saints.

Sydney is doing a good job of picking up players from other clubs. Eastman and Skinner from North and Sheppard from Geelong were ones that I would have been keen on. I don't think the VFLW has been raided as hard as I might have expected, given the different pre-list rules for the new clubs. Maybe we'll see more teams wanting to pick up players like that as part of their three draft choices.

The other one I forgot about is passing with the last pick. I think that's likely to be a popular option this year with it likely being a long draft that really stretches the Victorian pool.

Does Fitzpatrick get taken with our late draft pick or pre/post draft?
I'm pretty sure the concession was to be allowed to pre-sign her. So, I would assume that wouldn't count towards the three draft picks.

Would Watt and Patrikios be on the inactive list, or is that basically cutting them off from payment? That could be another two spots.

I haven't seen the new CBA, but inactive players got a fraction of their salary under the old one, which is why I think a lot of clubs would avoid putting players on the list - particularly stars. I would think the only way Patrikios ends up on the inactive list is if the club is forced to put her there, given she wasn't this past season.

Watt probably gets delisted or put on the inactive list, so that's a fourth spot, I guess.

Last edited:
Watts hasn't been delisted yet but we know she wont be playing so maybe the scenario where he sign someone as her replacement closer to the season?
I'm not sure if it's better value to delist/inactive and take a late pick to the draft or wait until preseason and have that as an open spot, kind of like the SSP signings in the men's. It seems unlikely she's on the list once the season properly starts, though.

you'd have to factor in Grace Kelly trade with those picks
i'd say 54 or 66 would get the deal done, pick 84 sounds unlikely

she's a good size at 179 cm & did kick 7 goals in 2021 (WC leading goal kicker), not as good in 2022, but WC struggled to score pretty much in every game
she should work well in tandem with Greiser, in a better fwd line such as you've got

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back