List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton might be one of the teams given how many players they have lost this year.

The longer it takes for anything to be said, the less I would expect anything significant to happen. Maybe hoping that more crap teams in the comp creates the illusion that some teams are improving and they don't need to drastically do something to fix the mess they have created.
I agree with all that.

I think that illusion is real, though. Most fans don't realise how dire your chances are in an AFLW match if you're the underdog. We had at least a couple of GC supporters on the main board talking up their chances for finals. They were improved, but they were still a tier-3 team that got wins against other tier-3 teams.

As a quick aside - I wonder, with Carlton, whether running Harris' name through the mud in the press had negative consequences. I couldn't help but think of some of the pictures taken after the Blues/Dees match given what has happened in recent weeks.

Has anything been mentioned in terms of delistings? I've noticed Tahlia Meyer has played the last two weeks for the Hawks VFLW side, which you wouldn't think would happen unless she's gone.

EDIT: I just saw this got some discussion in the VFLW thread.

Last edited:
Has anything been mentioned in terms of delistings? I've noticed Tahlia Meyer has played the last two weeks for the Hawks VFLW side, which you wouldn't think would happen unless she's gone.

EDIT: I just saw this got some discussion in the VFLW thread.

Nothing as yet. Yeah Meyer played a week or two in SA the returned to play with the Hawks, so I would assume she's on the move. It's all not ideal really, everyone just hanging and waiting for some ideas from the AFL!! Gotta suck trying to sort out work commitments too, they really need to extract the digit and lock in a start date. The AFL are trying to make August get over the line, but it's a sh*t idea frankly. Early October is prime and ideal for most and many reasons. Rant over ✌️

Nothing as yet. Yeah Meyer played a week or two in SA the returned to play with the Hawks, so I would assume she's on the move. It's all not ideal really, everyone just hanging and waiting for some ideas from the AFL!! Gotta suck trying to sort out work commitments too, they really need to extract the digit and lock in a start date. The AFL are trying to make August get over the line, but it's a sh*t idea frankly. Early October is prime and ideal for most and many reasons. Rant over ✌️
My guess is they've got dates in mind for everything, but aren't going to tell the public until the new CBA is signed. I assume the PA is somewhat aware of plans. You'd think they'd want to have all the list management stuff done very soon for an August start, though. June at the very latest, you'd think.

I'm still somewhat staggered that the same league that refused 13-game seasons for a 14-team league is just fine with a second 2022 season with 9 games per week. Deliberately running it against the men's league finals as well seems particularly nuts. Then again, I've had trouble figuring exactly what head office is trying to do with this league from the start.

Niamh Kelly requests trade to Crows, so put a line through that.

Nicola Stevens seems to be the only one we've been linked to who hasn't decided where to go.

Anyone get the feeling we're just being used by these players to pump salaries and none actually want to come to us?

Niamh Kelly requests trade to Crows, so put a line through that.

Nicola Stevens seems to be the only one we've been linked to who hasn't decided where to go.

Anyone get the feeling we're just being used by these players to pump salaries and none actually want to come to us?
They won't, but the league should absolutely shoot down Kelly to the Crows. Having a player leave the spooners for the flag winners is an awful look with the league in the state it's in - even with the Crows losing some players to the Power.

I think a lot of the player movement is manager-driven. My guess is that the Saints are interested in a lot of players and their managers are very interested in what St Kilda has to offer them, but, for whatever reason, most of it falls through. A large part of it's just luck, but some of it would be people not necessarily wanting to relocate or play for a bottom team. If they keep going after players, eventually they're going to land some, same as what has happened with the men's. Hopefully they don't need to go through a Hannebery to get to the good recruits, though.

You'd think the five would be the non-North expansion sides. They should have let those five sign mature-agers along with the current round of expansion teams, since those teams were limited in a way this round of teams aren't in who they could sign.

Another first round pick for the Saints before the finals clubs pick is an absolute minimum, for me. All of the expansion sides bar North need some level of assistance, obviously. Carlton and the Bulldogs losing more players probably means the gap between the top-6 and everyone else is widening again. I don't see how they improve things without finding ways to actively hinder the top-6 either.

I want to see a multi-year plan the way the league did with GC in the men's. My expectations are much lower.

Another first round pick for the Saints before the finals clubs pick is an absolute minimum
i agree
but it might come down to whether Patrikios & Smith play this coming season
if say one or both play, it might nudge compo

WCE & Saints should definitely get 1st rounders compo, but where is the question
Maybe Tigers Cats get 2nd rounders ? maybe not

Blues & dogs wouldn't think so

Another first round pick for the Saints before the finals clubs pick is an absolute minimum
i agree
but it might come down to whether Patrikios & Smith play this coming season
if say one or both play, it might nudge compo

WCE & Saints should definitely get 1st rounders compo, but where is the question
Maybe Tigers Cats get 2nd rounders ? maybe not

Blues & dogs wouldn't think so
When the Saints were winless, I was hopeful the league would slot a priority pick in between the expansion sides first and second picks. A couple of meaningless wins against ordinary competition probably means that's out of the question now. Best case scenario is probably immediately after what's pick 10 right now. I'd hope for a priority pick no later than after the Dogs' current first round pick.

I am increasingly worried that there will be no draft assistance, though, and that the league will look at the bad teams picking up wins against each other and decide everything's fine. Hopefully the radio silence is just CBA-related. If the league's serious about closing the gap, then they should announce multiple picks for all the non-North expansion teams over multiple years. I am wondering if there's something in place for mature-agers, given there's a couple of players in the VFLW that I'm surprised the expansion teams haven't gone after (and also didn't play in today's U23 team). There may be agreements in place that we find out about post-CBA. I'm hopeful at least.

Blues and Dogs won't (and shouldn't) get priority picks, but they could be picking a lot early. I think both teams are likely to wind up with extra first round picks, due to the Egan and Huntington trades. We've yet to see what (if any) compensation will go for losing significant players. Prespakis will almost certainly attract whatever the top possible compensation is. Dogs probably won't get much for Toogood, given the AFL loves to use year-end honours to determine this stuff. I don't think she's done better than fourth in a B+F and I don't think she's ever made an AA squad.

I would not be shocked if the first round ends up 30+ picks, so I think picks for the Cats, Suns and Tigers should probably be before their second round picks.

When the Saints were winless, I was hopeful the league would slot a priority pick in between the expansion sides first and second picks. A couple of meaningless wins against ordinary competition probably means that's out of the question now. Best case scenario is probably immediately after what's pick 10 right now. I'd hope for a priority pick no later than after the Dogs' current first round pick.

I am increasingly worried that there will be no draft assistance, though, and that the league will look at the bad teams picking up wins against each other and decide everything's fine. Hopefully the radio silence is just CBA-related. If the league's serious about closing the gap, then they should announce multiple picks for all the non-North expansion teams over multiple years. I am wondering if there's something in place for mature-agers, given there's a couple of players in the VFLW that I'm surprised the expansion teams haven't gone after (and also didn't play in today's U23 team). There may be agreements in place that we find out about post-CBA. I'm hopeful at least.

Blues and Dogs won't (and shouldn't) get priority picks, but they could be picking a lot early. I think both teams are likely to wind up with extra first round picks, due to the Egan and Huntington trades. We've yet to see what (if any) compensation will go for losing significant players. Prespakis will almost certainly attract whatever the top possible compensation is. Dogs probably won't get much for Toogood, given the AFL loves to use year-end honours to determine this stuff. I don't think she's done better than fourth in a B+F and I don't think she's ever made an AA squad.

I would not be shocked if the first round ends up 30+ picks, so I think picks for the Cats, Suns and Tigers should probably be before their second round picks.
If they arent going to hand out decent priority picks, maybe they could just give Patrikios an expedition. Would be as good as a pick for us.

Another one not signing for us. But I'm glad we're persuing talent and not just list filling.

Erika O'Shea, who was crowned an All-Star in her homeland last season despite it being only her second year of senior football, is also on the verge of journeying to Australia and agreeing a deal with the Kangaroos.

Still just 19 years of age, O'Shea is highly regarded as a defender in Gaelic football and is widely considered one of Cork and the sport's most coveted young players. She is also said to have had interest from St Kilda.

The Saints are hopeful Tyanna Smith (ACL) will return at some point next season, which will help boost the midfield enormously, but more help is needed in that area. Another ruck will also be required given the ACL injury to Rhi Watt. St Kilda also need some help in front of goal, having been the lowest scoring side in 2022.

Confirmed list departures: Nil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Smith's knee, the 9-month point would be the week before the season is supposed to start - if they're still aiming at round one being the pre-finals bye for the men's. The 12-month point would be Round 13, if they play that many (more likely finals). Most teams have tended toward the cautious end in the AFLW, so I'm dubious as to whether we see her this year. If she ticks all the boxes and the docs sign off for an early return, I'm all for it.

Interesting to see what Kelly winds up costing. Not much, You'd think. She's 28 and not exactly a star. Possibly hard done by by spending a lot of time forward in a bad team. She's pretty tall, but seems more of a run and carry type. I'd be keen to see her up on a wing. Has anything further been mentioned with Phillips?

Tilly gone to Hawthorn. Just getting worse for us

yeah harsh, but better that she's going and not one of Smith, Patrikios, Xenos, Vesely and White, they're the future
Tilly Lucas-Rodd even signed on with the Saints for two more years on 30 June 2021, tying her to the club until the end of the 2022/2023 season

silver lining i suppose is Nicola Stevens and Grace Kelly seem confirmed to be coming over
but yeah bummer :(

Last edited:
yeah harsh, but better that she's going and not one of Smith, Patrikios, Xenos, Vesely and White, they're the future
Tilly Lucas-Rodd even signed on with the Saints for two more years on 30 June 2021, tying her to the club until the end of the 2022/2023 season

silver lining i suppose is Nicola Stevens and Grace Kelly seem confirmed to be coming over
Good point. It would sting less if we knew what was happening with Patrikios but it would be worse if we did lose one of the above.

Stevens and Kelly should be solid additions. Might free up Xenos to spend more time in the middle as well.

If she was signed does that mean it is a trade? Can we get a decent pick for her if this happens or do they leave Free Agent style?

If she was signed does that mean it is a trade? Can we get a decent pick for her if this happens or do they leave Free Agent style?

unfortunately no the 2 year contract is not binding when it comes to expansion signings :(
yes it's a free agent type scenario, so no compo

usually when a player signs a contract for 2 years, it's a show of faith by player and club to stick together
but alas Hawthorn must have offered a payment package too good to refuse and the Saints too much to match

Tilly gone to Hawthorn. Just getting worse for us

Crap... I wonder what Tilly's reason for leaving is?

Money? You'd think with our lack of stars, if any, that we could at least match it.

Opportunity? We've given a new lease on life moving into the midfield. Could've easily been our B&F. Now ditching us. It's disappointing, but these are the times.

Premiership? That's worked well for champions like Buckley and Dangerfield.

Work? Family? It's Hawthorn, that's a no.

Disgruntled with the club, coach, players?

Zero compensation. If we were in line for receiving an early first round pick before this, we should be a certainty now.

Or maybe Tilly will turn back like a few Bulldogs players did.

TLR gone.

“This year’s fast-tracked expansion exposes all clubs to losing key players, but it is particularly difficult for us after only three years of competition to have those foundations removed.

AFL need to step up here and fix their utensil-up with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back