List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Could they have just said that the new clubs receive a pick at the start of each round? (Two each for the 1st round).
Same result (except for trading future picks?), but sounds much simpler. Just the same as finishing bottom four.
And yeah I was just going from Lore's draft resource, not sure where I got those first numbers from haha.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Could they have just said that the new clubs receive a pick at the start of each round? (Two each for the 1st round).
Same result (except for trading future picks?), but sounds much simpler. Just the same as finishing bottom four.
And yeah I was just going from Lore's draft resource, not sure where I got those first numbers from haha.
All good. I was just panicked that they'd invented a new way to push the Saints down the order.

Hopefully they clear things up soon now that we've got a CBA. You'd think clarity around expansion compensation would be a priority with the signing window officially opening.

Cat Phillips & Jacqui Vogt gone

How many players can each club lose? Expansion rules explained

Well according to this we've lost our maximum 3 players to expansion being a bottom 7 side, but eff knows if they add up to the 28 points we need to keep our first?! Absolute garbage made up on the fly

Last edited:

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cat Phillips & Jacqui Vogt gone

Bitterly disappointing. They better be leaving for a lot more money and play every match wherever they end up.

I hope our club is on the front foot pleading for a priority pick before all this expansion stuff gets really messy!
We need the priority pick for our performance last season, before all these other player movements.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda

Each player in the competition has been assigned a points value which is calculated based on age, payment tier, career games and any awards they might have won.

To keep their first round draft pick for the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft, existing clubs must lose a total of 28 points worth of players.

Should clubs not reach that threshold, they will go to the draft without a first round selection.

Each of the top seven teams from the past two seasons combined may lose (via expansion) a maximum of:
  • Four players if in Victoria, Queensland or Western Australia
  • Eight players if in New South Wales or South Australia
Each of the bottom seven teams from the past two seasons combined may lose (via expansion) a maximum of:
  • Three players if in Victoria, Queensland or Western Australia
  • Six players if in New South Wales or South Australia

So it seems that TLR, Phillips and Vogt are our three. Not sure what happens if another Saint pops up and wants to move to an expansion side. Maybe they are forbidden now?

The points thing is interesting. I'm assuming this guards us from losing another player to expansion. But it also leaves us in danger of losing our first round draft pick as TLR, Phillips and Vogt might not be enough to make up 28 points, but those top seven teams have an extra player to lose to make up the 28 points.

And what a fecking mess it would be if we just fall short of the 28 points and lose our first round draft pick, all because TLR was a single vote short of winning our B&F.... let's hope this nightmare doesn't eventuate!

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Vogt and Phillips to Bombers.

Phillips, who has played 44 games across her past six AFLW season and was the Saints’ inaugural co-captain.

A dual-sport athlete, Phillips represented Australia at ultimate frisbee before being drafted by Melbourne as a category B rookie ahead of the Demons’ first AFLW season.

Moving to St Kilda ahead of the 2019 season, Phillips has become known for her leadership, unwavering determination and work-rate throughout the Saints’ midfield.

Also making the move from Moorabbin to the NEC Hangar is Vogt, who played 17 games since making her debut for St Kilda in round one of the 2021 season.

Over her two seasons at AFLW level, Vogt’s football smarts, aerial ability and versatility have made her a key target in the Saints’ forward line and midfield.

Originally a defender for Melbourne Victory in the W-League, Vogt transitioned to footy when she joined the Southern Saints for their first VFLW season before being drafted by the Saints’ AFLW team.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Absolute garbage made up on the fly
It feels like they're trying to engineer a specific outcome. What exactly that is, I cannot tell. It would seem to involve Carlton, given the arbitrary cutoff point. Either that, or they really hate the Bulldogs.

Bitterly disappointing. They better be leaving for a lot more money and play every match wherever they end up.
TLR and Phillips will, barring a bunch more signings. Those lists are still pretty bad. Vogt should, but it's going to depend on role. Forwards on bad teams often get dropped when they shouldn't.

I also think this result isn't that bad. I'd much rather lose better older players now than younger players. Holding onto Smith, White, Friend, McDonald, Guttridge and others like that should always have been the priority.

So it seems that TLR, Phillips and Vogt are our three. Not sure what happens if another Saint pops up and wants to move to an expansion side. Maybe they are forbidden now?
Trades. We're at the 'Richmond have to trade for Conti' point now. So if McCarthy does wind up finding another home, there should at least be some compensation.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Trades. We're at the 'Richmond have to trade for Conti' point now. So if McCarthy does wind up finding another home, there should at least be some compensation.

This is the thing. If we don't make 28 points with those three, then another player wants to leave who has a higher points value that could get us to 28, we should be allowed to choose whoever three get us there. Or be allowed the choice of pooling four together like the top seven teams.
The trade value of that fourth player might be (probably will be) less than keeping our first round pick!

Confusing as hell, but do you know what I'm trying to get at with this?

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is the thing. If we don't make 28 points with those three, then another player wants to leave who has a higher points value that could get us to 28, we should be allowed to choose whoever three get us there. Or be allowed the choice of pooling four together like the top seven teams.
The trade value of that fourth player might be (probably will be) less than keeping our first round pick!

Confusing as hell, but do you know what I'm trying to get at with this?
I get it. I'm concerned about that, too. I have to assume that the points are going to be handed out generously. It makes no sense to cap bad teams at three players if it's going to mean they lose their first round pick.

My suspicion is it's just a measure to punish teams that lose nothing and, maybe, nudge a few players out the door that they otherwise wouldn't.

My worry is that they set the bar high so the Vic first round ends up being just the expansion teams and Carlton.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Phillips will be a loss but she will also be 31 during the upcoming season.

Not concerned about the loss of Vogt.

We haven't really been hit as hard as a lot of other teams (one of the advantages of not having many good players) but the core young group are all still here and they are the ones who we needed to keep - Smith, White, Xenos, Vesely, Greiser, hopefuly GP. If we can retain all of them, then we will be fine. Add in the 23 year old ruck from GWS and we have a good core to keep building around.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

We haven't really been hit as hard as a lot of other teams (one of the advantages of not having many good players) but the core young group are all still here and they are the ones who we needed to keep - Smith, White, Xenos, Vesely, Greiser, hopefuly GP. If we can retain all of them, then we will be fine. Add in the 23 year old ruck from GWS and we have a good core to keep building around.
Thank GOD Tarni is staying. She’s still so young and stepped up to full midfield time very very naturally

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

The points thing is interesting. I'm assuming this guards us from losing another player to expansion. But it also leaves us in danger of losing our first round draft pick as TLR, Phillips and Vogt might not be enough to make up 28 points, but those top seven teams have an extra player to lose to make up the 28 points.

And what a fecking mess it would be if we just fall short of the 28 points and lose our first round draft pick, all because TLR was a single vote short of winning our B&F.... let's hope this nightmare doesn't eventuate!
You'd assume the contract tier is based off what their new club is offering right? Should help bump up the points Tilly is worthy because you'd assume she is in a lot higher tier at Hawthorn than she was with us.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
You'd assume the contract tier is based off what their new club is offering right? Should help bump up the points Tilly is worthy because you'd assume she is in a lot higher tier at Hawthorn than she was with us.

Yeah surely it's based on the next salary. And the "awards", I'm assuming that means career awards not just current club awards. I wonder whether they're counting placings in B&Fs, probably not but it would help us with TLR and Phillips. Phillips is more important to us than the points value, but being 30 and Vogt 28 I'm not confident they'll add many points. TLR is peak and hopfully gets us 80% there. Vogt is a solid "no more gaps" type, I feel we were just unlocking the potential.

So if McCarthy does wind up finding another home, there should at least be some compensation.
Could be a catch to that. If St Kilda are offering a downgraded contract (for instance she was on Tier 2, but now being offered Tier 3 or 4), she could move as a restricted free agent (for which no compensation is given) to any club that offers her a Tier 2 contract.

Chances of that aren't too high though. Only Hawthorn would possibly offer her a Tier 2 contract, which I do guess is in fact what she was on at St Kilda for the last 2 years (re-signed in August 2020). And she'd at most go for a 3rd rounder in a trade, so maybe not a big deal but extra picks could come in handy to get some other deals done.

Good perspective, this is all very true. As much as I loved TLR's rise last season, I'd prioritise keeping that group above her if one had to go.

Vague reference that we've secured Nicola Stevens from Carlton, so there's some experience to replace Phillips.

WITK

Draftee
May 25, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda

The points thing is interesting. I'm assuming this guards us from losing another player to expansion.
I'm not sure if uncontracted players count, in which case we may still lose a couple more.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good perspective, this is all very true. As much as I loved TLR's rise last season, I'd prioritise keeping that group above her if one had to go.

Vague reference that we've secured Nicola Stevens from Carlton, so there's some experience to replace Phillips.

Stevens should be a good pick up and adds someone else into the side who can hit the scoreboard which we desperately need.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah they seem assured that Stevens "will" head to St Kilda. A trade or uncontracted?

Stevens was an All Australian defender for Collingwood, then moved to Carlton as a forward averaging nearly a goal per match. Runner-up B&F.

With Kelly reportedly coming too, I wonder whether we'll use Stevens in defence again? But I wouldn't be surprised if Stevens plays some midfield for us too. Strong tackler and mark, smart and good kick, good in traffic... could happen. Never had a massive number of disposals, but fair enough playing back and forward.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah they seem assured that Stevens "will" head to St Kilda. A trade or uncontracted?
Trade. The only free agency in AFLW is delisted free agency and, as TW referred to above, players that get dropped down a tier can become free agents (not sure anyone ever has under that rule, though). Stevens isn't going to be delisted and, with the number of players they're already losing, I doubt she's been offered less. I suspect the motivation is a better deal here.

A lot of ins this year. Either the club is confident in getting draft assistance or they'll be doing some pick swaps, you'd think. Hard to imagine getting McKinnon, Stevens and Kelly all done for later picks. If they do, I'll be very impressed.

Arbiter

Senior List
May 9, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anybody know if Amelia Verlado was approached by Carlton, or is it her that is requesting a trade?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

2022 AFLW List Changes

Tilly Lucas-Rodd (expansion)
Tahlia Meyer (delisted)
Kate McCarthy (delisted)
Cat Phillips (expansion)
Paige Price (delisted)
Isabella Shannon (delisted, study leave)
Jacqui Vogt (expansion)
Alana Woodward (delisted)

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Shannon a surprise, but good stuff focusing on studies. Must've been a big decision considering the salary rise. Hopefully not lost to the game and Shannon returns at some stage in the future, has a lot of potential.

Back