News 2022 Media Draft Rankings & Phantom Drafts

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
He is an employee of the AFL. He is not there to trash the brand. He is there to talk up the product. People expecting that AFL employees like Shifter and Twomey to be more discerning and expressive in their views and opinions on players are bit naive in their expectations. No different then you and me working for our company. Even if we know our product is crap we would not be expressing that view in public.
incorrect. the draft itself is the product. people weren't born 5 minutes ago. If some guy is taken at 56 and not 6 we want to know why. It's not difficult. Do you really think people watch the draft and think 'Oh, none of these guys have weaknesses'? wrong. People go 'ok, hmm what's the catch?'. 'What aren't they telling me'. Just provide a proper product, proper special comments with proper analysis. It's not analysis if you just talk about the positives.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
incorrect. the draft itself is the product. people weren't born 5 minutes ago. If some guy is taken at 56 and not 6 we want to know why. It's not difficult. Do you really think people watch the draft and think 'Oh, none of these guys have weaknesses'? wrong. People go 'ok, hmm what's the catch?'. 'What aren't they telling me'. Just provide a proper product, proper special comments with proper analysis. It's not analysis if you just talk about the positives.
Not trying to sound rude but if you want to know the weaknesses so much google is right there for you.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not trying to sound rude but if you want to know the weaknesses so much google is right there for you.
that makes no sense. What a service that would be 'tune into afl.com.au guys for full draft coverage where we tell you all the positive about and player. Google the player for a full proper analysis'. That's a laughable proposition.

Who cares if a player has weaknesses? Literally ever player in every sport has weaknesses.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
in the nba, which basically does everything better than the afl, they also focus on the draftees shortcomings.

Time outs late in games are infuriating.
The salaries are absolutely ridiculous.
The fixture is horribly bloated making losing/winning streaks less significant.
Players being traded against their will (sometimes DURING games) is absurd.
Supporters often follow players rather than teams, resulting in the sport lacking loyalty and heart.

However, athletically the players are incredible.
They also market their talents better than any other sport on the planet.

Those two positives are strong enough to hide all those negatives, resulting in a competition that is immensely popular worldwide.

They don't do everything better than the AFL though. No sport is perfect.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
How do you traded during a game? lol
It happens.

The NBA trade period runs through the first two thirds of the season. Players can be traded any time during this part of the season. Players have been traded, and told to sit out the second half of a game, before flying out to their new team later that night.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Tombstones

respect-hats-off.gif

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why do clubs slip who they are taking prior to the draft.. all it does is make frauds like Cal Twomey seem like he knows what he is doing, when really he is basking his predictions purely on informed advice from recruiters and not from his own talent judgement.

Spank2304

Debutant
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Why do clubs slip who they are taking prior to the draft.. all it does is make frauds like Cal Twomey seem like he knows what he is doing, when really he is basking his predictions purely on informed advice from recruiters and not from his own talent judgement.
He does a form ranking based on the talent he observes throughout the year as separate articles. His phantom draft is meant to be as close to the real draft as possible by basing his predictions on informed advice from recruiters...

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It happens.

The NBA trade period runs through the first two thirds of the season. Players can be traded any time during this part of the season. Players have been traded, and told to sit out the second half of a game, before flying out to their new team later that night.

And yet the personalities and athleticism of the major stars make you forget something that absurd can actually happen.

I have no issue with people loving NBA more than the AFL, but this idea that they do everything perfectly and the AFL should be copying them is misguided.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
And yet the personalities and athleticism of the major stars make you forget something that absurd can actually happen.

I have no issue with people loving NBA more than the AFL, but this idea that they do everything perfectly and the AFL should be copying them is misguided.
I didn’t say that though. So not sure why you’re replying to me.

And further, I gave a couple of reasons why our AFL draft coverage isn’t up to the standard of the NBA or NFL draft coverage.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I believe you’re comment is pretty off base here.

Twomey’s job isn’t to provide independent talent evaluation to the public.

His job is to report on which kids clubs are interested, and provide general coverage and informed opinion during the season.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I didn’t say that though. So not sure why you’re replying to me.

And further, I gave a couple of reasons why our AFL draft coverage isn’t up to the standard of the NBA or NFL draft coverage.

Was a general comment. Your post was just the perfect example of what I find to be a silly part of NBA. There seems to constantly be a narrative that they run the league perfectly over there and the AFL should mimic it wherever possible.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Was a general comment. Your post was just the perfect example of what I find to be a silly part of NBA. There seems to constantly be a narrative that they run the league perfectly over there and the AFL should mimic it wherever possible.
It’s a completely different dynamic in the NBA.

I grew up with the NBA, and its list management rules.

Coming to AFL only somewhat recently, I find a lot of the AFL list management rules rather restrictive and nonsensical.

To go further, I believe much of the AFL’s rules and how it’s run is farcical. It’s supposed to be a National competition, but it’s still purely run to keep the remaining VFL sides alive, to the detriment of every other non Victorian club.

To have a truly national competition, 6 of the current Victorian teams should be killed off, with Tassie and the NT getting teams.

That would balance the league, improve the talent level, and hopefully remove the Vic Bias from the game.

Coming to AFL only somewhat recently, I find a lot of the AFL list management rules rather restrictive and nonsensical.

To go further, I believe much of the AFL’s rules and how it’s run is farcical. It’s supposed to be a National competition, but it’s still purely run to keep the remaining VFL sides alive, to the detriment of every other non Victorian club.

To have a truly national competition, 6 of the current Victorian teams should be killed off, with Tassie and the NT getting teams.

That would balance the league, improve the talent level, and hopefully remove the Vic Bias from the game.
Is it really a national competition if the interstate teams are filled with Victorian expats 😝

diddley1984

The biggest horse in all of Norway
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

I see what you mean, but it would be completely non-viable.
It may be a “National” game, but it’s numbers aren’t anywhere near equal to scrap 6 vic teams, just as a majority of NRL teams are in NSW. They don’t even bother with WA or SA, let alone tas and NT.
The population of the US, and the global market of the NBA allow them to pay players life changing amounts to move them interstate without their consent. AFL players don’t get paid enough to be screwed over in the same way.
NT would never have enough people to go to games and make it a business worth running independently.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Which 6? This will end well. :tearsofjoy:

Cal Twomey Late Mail (AFL.com.au)
For the sake of posterity;

LATE MAIL PHANTOM DRAFT​

Pick 1 – Greater Western Sydney – Aaron Cadman

Pick 2 – Brisbane (matching North Melbourne's bid) – Will Ashcroft

Pick 3 – North Melbourne – Harry Sheezel

Pick 4 – North Melbourne – George Wardlaw

Pick 5 – Essendon – Elijah Tsatas

Pick 6 – Gold Coast – Bailey Humphrey

Pick 7 – Hawthorn – Cameron Mackenzie

Pick 8 – Geelong – Jhye Clark