2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

The last 2 years :eek:

I would have thought considering the decade+ of unparalleled success before it , your supporters would both be extremely happy and grateful to support your club.
Do you wake up in the morning and think about Hawthorn?

Covid has impacted the finances of millions of people, and we’ve been bottom 6 with a handful of games to attend and a President that half the membership want removed. We had 11 straight years of membership record being broken up until 2020.

There’s a number of reasons Hawthorn fans might not be willing to shell out hundreds in the current climate.

Back to the ignore list you go.

Do you wake up in the morning and think about Hawthorn?

Covid has impacted the finances of millions of people, and we’ve been bottom 6 with a handful of games to attend and a President that half the membership want removed. We had 11 straight years of membership record being broken up until 2020.

There’s a number of reasons Hawthorn fans might not be willing to shell out hundreds in the current climate.

Back to the ignore list you go.

No argument that covid and repeated lockdowns have been a very difficult time for many.

Having said that reigning wooden spooner's North Melbourne without flag success for a quarter of a century, and St Kilda without flag success for over half a century could well break both their membership records !!

Update

Richmond = 72,661
Carlton = 52,668 (as of November 18)
Essendon = 50,221
Hawthorn = 50,000 (announced on December 7)
Collingwood = 45,174
Geelong = 35,707
St Kilda = 35,154
Fremantle = 33,829
Western Bulldogs = 32,285
North Melbourne = 32,000 (announced on November 29)
Melbourne = 30,000 (announced on November 26)
Brisbane Lions = 21,307

Update

Richmond = 72,661
Essendon = 50,221
Collingwood = 45,174
Geelong = 35,707
St Kilda = 35,154
Fremantle = 33,829
Western Bulldogs = 32,285
Brisbane Lions = 21,307
I still think Collingwood’s figure is missing the AFL component… Not sure but gut feel says so🤔

I'm unsure as well.

I'm not an AFL member, but did auto-renewal of memberships take place recently?
I think last week. Clubs may vary as to when they compute these members into their totals. I’m not too sure but I’m sure Collingwood were around 57-58,000 in middle of December in years past. Also, in years past the Pues have been around 3-5,000 members ahead of Essendon until March so given Essendon are reporting a figure 5,000 ahead of Collingwood something doesn’t feel right.

I do know Essendon are tracking well but I still don’t think it’s lining up apples with apples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update

Richmond = 79,000
Collingwood = 60,000
Essendon = 54,556
Geelong = 40,325
Fremantle = 36,424
St Kilda = 36,095
Western Bulldogs = 34,846
Brisbane Lions = 21,307 (as of December 4)

I think the drop off regarding Kennett and the handling of the Clarkson departure will have an impact, but the growing sentiment within the “Hawks for change” supporters is that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel in that regard, so although some members will have cut their membership up in protest of Jeff, others will feel like now is the exact time to support the club.

I can’t stand “supporters” like that who opt out supporting the club in protest at some personnel / board level / political issue that they of course know better than the club and anyone else. Fair weather supporters like that are comfortably the very bottom rung of our support structure.

Personally, I still feel like projectile vomiting that, in our wisdom, we elected to move on the greatest coach in the history of this game (at minimum the best of the modern era).
And if I could somehow direct that projectile vomit somewhere, I’d make a beeline for our fearless leader Jeffrey, whom ever since his term as our Premier I regularly have less than charitable thoughts about. He needs to go, yesterday, and the Kenneth train wreck aside, I’m sure the club would probably prefer their time over in a) recent list management and b) overseeing the end of several club legends.

So I do actually share many gripes that my fellow Hawkers do, but not for a second would I consider withdrawing my support, financial or otherwise, until the club is more aligned with what I think is the right and necessary approach. That’s Richmond circa 1980’s / 1990’s, not the HFC. It’s lazy, petulant, it serves absolutely zero purpose, and it has no place at our club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t stand “supporters” like that who opt out supporting the club in protest at some personnel / board level / political issue that they of course know better than the club and anyone else. Fair weather supporters like that are comfortably the very bottom rung of our support structure.

Personally, I still feel like projectile vomiting that, in our wisdom, we elected to move on the greatest coach in the history of this game (at minimum the best of the modern era).
And if I could somehow direct that projectile vomit somewhere, I’d make a beeline for our fearless leader Jeffrey, whom ever since his term as our Premier I regularly have less than charitable thoughts about. He needs to go, yesterday, and the Kenneth train wreck aside, I’m sure the club would probably prefer their time over in a) recent list management and b) overseeing the end of several club legends.

So I do actually share many gripes that my fellow Hawkers do, but not for a second would I consider withdrawing my support, financial or otherwise, until the club is more aligned with what I think is the right and necessary approach. That’s Richmond circa 1980’s / 1990’s, not the HFC. It’s lazy, petulant, it serves absolutely zero purpose, and it has no place at our club.

Good post, at the end of the day these are sporting clubs that we love and hence should support accordingly

Love your passion and share your views like most of the bloke moving on. The old fair weather supporters- every club has them. I would put my hard earn't on the Hawthorn membership heading south the next few years. The Kennett factor is certainly there. But everyone loves a winner and losing more than you win and not playing finals , will sway a % of supporters in these economic times.

Love your passion and share your views like most of the bloke moving on. The old fair weather supporters- every club has them. I would put my hard earn't on the Hawthorn membership heading south the next few years. The Kennett factor is certainly there. But everyone loves a winner and losing more than you win and not playing finals , will sway a % of supporters in these economic times.
It’s natural that at the end of a successful era there’s some sort of decline. The Clarkson / Kennett thing certainly adds to the discontent.

It will be interesting to watch the Hawks membership. Early figures suggest landing in the low 70,000’s. This would put them now off the pace of the supposed big 4 clubs, all of who will have around 85,000 or more in 2022.

Depending on where Melbourne get to, my guess is 65,000, we now have a group of clubs forming around the 65-75,000 area. Melbourne, Geelong and Hawthirn.

It’s natural that at the end of a successful era there’s some sort of decline. The Clarkson / Kennett thing certainly adds to the discontent.

It will be interesting to watch the Hawks membership. Early figures suggest landing in the low 70,000’s. This would put them now off the pace of the supposed big 4 clubs, all of who will have around 85,000 or more in 2022.

Depending on where Melbourne get to, my guess is 65,000, we now have a group of clubs forming around the 65-75,000 area. Melbourne, Geelong and Hawthirn.
Well the Dee's have got to go up. The Dogs flag 5 years ago didn't cause the upswing like the Tigers the following year. I gather the Roo's in the late 90's didn't do this either. But neither of those clubs had a latent supporter base like the Tigers. Personally have the Hawks and Pies as sliders despite most memberships for many clubs increasing.
The real if factor is footy post lockdown . Are fans bursting to get back like before, or have a fair % got used to living without it??

Well the Dee's have got to go up. The Dogs flag 5 years ago didn't cause the upswing like the Tigers the following year. I gather the Roo's in the late 90's didn't do this either. But neither of those clubs had a latent supporter base like the Tigers. Personally have the Hawks and Pies as sliders despite most memberships for many clubs increasing.
The real if factor is footy post lockdown . Are fans bursting to get back like before, or have a fair % got used to living without it??
Good post. The Pies membership is in growth at this point and should only accelerate. New President Browne is focussed on growing membership so I expect this to convert to good growth in 2022, on the back of a fresh start, prominent draft picks and a new era for the club. I think they will achieve close to 90,000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back