2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

They do a $1 membership “pay $1 now and the rest later” scheme. Many don’t pay the outstanding but St Kilda still count the $1 members towards their total. When the AFL release the official membership numbers at the end of the season, St Kilda’s drop significantly.

Not in the last 2 years. Figures have barely moved during the audit. The policy on minimum spend has changed.

Whilst it must be nice to be so trusting of management, I'm just curious why they wait until the end, then 'win' by a small margin every year. Especially when the next biggest club is Richmond. The club who embittered them by winning premierships that they were entitled to.
I'm sure all of the memberships are genuine. Just like the memberships Jeff Kennet bought were all genuine.
In ay case, it's not important. I just find it a little amusing.
I think you’re looking for something that doesn’t exist. The Eagles rarely release membership updates. Their figures usually only come out coinciding with periodic AFL progress updates. It was only when they moved to #1 ranked membership post their 2018 flag that anyone noticed or gave a stuff about their figures.. Namely Richmond supporters funnily enough. The Eagles basically don’t care much for trumpeting their membership figures. Probably because they don’t think they have anything to prove tbh.

Carlton as at 10th June:-

1654820573117384993762a28edda1a9a_desktop.png.webp

Received this email this morning.

View attachment 1423865
100,000 members and 2 wins in 30 games in 2022, also with a lower attendance than Freo this season. Is there really any point recording this number anymore across the league when you can't see the breakdown of what it represents?

100,000 members and 2 wins in 30 games in 2022, also with a lower attendance than Freo this season. Is there really any point recording this number anymore across the league when you can't see the breakdown of what it represents?
What would Fremantle home attendance average be if they had the season the Eagles are having? I reckon the Dockers would be struggling to get over 20,000 through the gates.

The Eagles are completely uncompetitive and in disarray yet they still drag in over 30,000 to its home games. No other club in the AFL could achieve 30,000 of their own fans at matches given the Eagles season so far. Credit to the Eagles, it’s remarkable.

Only thing worth noting is they probably had 85,000 of them locked in before the season starts (1) and given they have capacity supply pressure, this means it’s membership will hold up better… Even next year.

What would Fremantle home attendance average be if they had the season the Eagles are having? I reckon the Dockers would be struggling to get over 20,000 through the gates.

The Eagles are completely uncompetitive and in disarray yet they still drag in over 30,000 to its home games. No other club in the AFL could achieve 30,000 of their own fans at matches given the Eagles season so far. Credit to the Eagles, it’s remarkable.

Only thing worth noting is they probably had 85,000 of them locked in before the season starts (1) and given they have capacity supply pressure, this means it’s membership will hold up better… Even next year.
To be fair, no one beside North has just about ever had a season like the Eagles are having. In 2016, when we won 4 games we averaged 31,416 per game, which would be our lowest recently besides covid affected years.

The big difference with the Eagles is they have a waiting list & was selling out all games last year. The % drop is massive, not that they are losing any money as I recon they are all sold out, people are just not going to games anymore.

It was only when they moved to #1 ranked membership post their 2018 flag that anyone noticed or gave a stuff about their figures.. Namely Richmond supporters funnily enough. The Eagles basically don’t care much for trumpeting their membership figures. Probably because they don’t think they have anything to prove tbh.
I would argue we moved to #1 in memberships due to the new stadium, Subi was atrocious (and lower capacity).
A premiership helps too no doubt, but it was the stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say probably 30k are in the wings members on the waiting list.
How do you know? Can a knowledgeable Eagles fan definateveky answer this please?

Either way it means little, if they had a bigger stadium they’d all be members so it doesn’t diminish fact Eagles has the largest membership in the AFL and in all likelihood have substantial headroom for growth, without needing to win a premiership.

How do you know? Can a knowledgeable Eagles fan definateveky answer this please?

Either way it means little, if they had a bigger stadium they’d all be members so it doesn’t diminish fact Eagles has the largest membership in the AFL and in all likelihood have substantial headroom for growth, without needing to win a premiership.

Yeah sounds about right would be somewhere between 15k - 30k 'in the wings' waiting list memberships - but those waiting memberships still cost as much as some other clubs' memberships.

I would dare say when we upgrade the stadium again (likely 80k) then overall memberships AND 'in-the-wings' memberships would go UP again, not down.

The current new stadium increased waiting list memberships as it gave ppl a hope of perhaps getting a membership in this lifetime.

Simple maths. The stadium holds 60k so there are about 50k paid up members that can go to the game (the other 10k are away/public and corp seats). These members have allocated seats so anything over about 50k are either members interstate, sideline but the majority would be in the wings members which i believe is still about a 10year waiting list.

Update

West Coast = 100,000 (announced on June 14)
Richmond = 98,791
Collingwood = 86,841
Carlton = 84,789
Essendon = 78,579
Hawthorn = 70,007 (as of May 9)
Geelong = 65,767
Melbourne = 62,700
Port Adelaide = 59,146
St Kilda = 57,777
Fremantle = 52,869
Sydney = 51,642
Western Bulldogs = 49,333
North Melbourne = 48,007
Brisbane Lions = 40,973
Adelaide = 40,000 + (as of February 19)
GWS = 30,861 (as of May 17)
Gold Coast = 8,721 (as of February 19)

June 30 updates

Membership
LeagueClubMembers
AFLAdelaide (19/2)40,000
AFLBrisbane40,973
AFLCarlton84,789
AFLCollingwood86,841
AFLEssendon78,579
AFLFremantle53,549
AFLGeelong66,048
AFLGold Coast (19/2)8,721
AFLGWS (17/5)30,861
AFLHawthorn (9/5)70,007
AFLMelbourne62,813
AFLNorth Melbourne48,639
AFLPort Adelaide59,146
AFLRichmond99,213
AFLSt Kilda57,930
AFLSydney51,642
AFLWest Coast (14/6)100,000
AFLWestern Bulldogs49,593

records for Brisbane, Carlton, Collingowood, GWS, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs.

League is just 24,097 members away from passing last years record figures - probably alrewady has when you consider some clubs figures havent been updated since feburary and may

AFLclubmembers2022.png

Fremantle now has the longest lasting membership record, going back to 2018 (55,639), while four clubs have records going back to 2019 (Crows, Hawks, Swans, Bombers) As always data link attached.

Last edited:
you can add 10k to suns as all the posts are saying we are nearing 20k
20k is an awesome number for a 12 year old club without the finals history of say even gws to help grow it. i can see why there’s a team there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back