• Best available

Votes: 87 65.4%
  • One of those forwards kicking bags in the SANFL

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Jai version 2.0

Votes: 29 21.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been big on us taking a ruck, but after watching last night, you realise how far off our list is, and that we need f*n everything.

You take the best talent here. And use it as an opportunity to add whatever talent possible to the list.

Last night would have been better with a ruckman not getting massacred by witts. I don’t think the new game plan works when we lose that ruck initiative so badly. The opposition run forward of the ball and our attacking mindset becomes a liability and debacle. We’d have to go back to the clarko game plan to avoid the blow outs.

We need talent.

At same time, if we can’t consistently get a ruck on park it’s going to be counterproductive to our development for rest of season (Ie howe vs Witts). Club will obviously have a good view on reeves/lynch/BB for rest of season. Ideally any ruck would be with our 2nd (although all may be gone). Issue won’t go away at end of season if BB reires.
We need to find a way to get some x factor into our list because we look vanilla at times. We seem to love drafting your low risk, hard working types which no doubt are important, but we desperately need some players that have the ability to turn a game on its head, or have a few tricks in the bag so to speak. I think Richmond have done a good job in recent years identifying these sorts of players.

We need to find a way to get some x factor into our list because we look vanilla at times. We seem to love drafting your low risk, hard working types which no doubt are important, but we desperately need some players that have the ability to turn a game on its head, or have a few tricks in the bag so to speak. I think Richmond have done a good job in recent years identifying these sorts of players.

We definitely drafted these types last year mate. MacDonald, Butler and Serong all have plenty of tricks.

A lot of clubs will only take 1 pick, so our second should be easier.
Yeah I couldn’t really be bothered trying to find out who’d have a 2nd or even 3rd pick, hence the ?

I never did homework at school.
Kids, don’t be like me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talking up Ballenden in this thread obviously never watched him play at Brisbane. Gets pushed around far too easily for someone his size at AFL level, would have to be better options out there if we open a second (or third) spot
Yes. He never liked contact at Brisbane. Something would need to change dramatically for him to make it at afl.

Not saying Callows going to make it but it’s be silly to write him off because he wasn’t a top draft pick. 17 teams passed on cj 5+ times, same with Luke Breust, 2 years ago Jai Newcombe wasn’t even good enough to make gippsland powers list of 40. Sometimes all it takes is an opportunity

Yep. Taken Mitchell Lewis years and years to be where he is. Guess every time he stuffs up some might remember where he was selected. When he stars they all toast his lowly selection.

Don't think we take a ruck. Reeves back this week, Lynch only a couple away. We'll be good.
100% agree. We are not in a Premiership window so it's not like the lack of a dedicated ruck could potentially make or break our season. The talent is there we've just had horrible bad luck in the ruck department injury wise that's all.

Wins are great but we need to continue to look to the long term needs of club and pick the best available talent at every opportunity.

Long term gain >> short term pain.

If there’s a player who looks to have the upside of Connor MacDonald or Jai Newcombe sitting there when it gets to pick 6 you take them over a ruckman who’s going to be 4th in the pecking order in only a matter of weeks.

Anyone who thinks having Kosi and Nash smashed is fine…:rolleyes:
Cmon man no one wants those guys getting smashed in the ruck but I'd like to think the majority of us are wise enough to realise that there isn't going to be a ruckman available on Wednesday night that will move the needle any more than throwing someone in there like Callow. We have Reeves almost ready to return and hopefully Lynch in the next couple of weeks too. The midseason draft is never likely to have this much AFL level talent available not to just us but other teams too so why the heck waste our first pick on a ruckman just to plug a short term hole. It would be a different story if we were in our window but the reality is we're not so why not go BPA and even then if we use a 2nd pick in the midseason draft I'd still go with a project ruck that that has more scope to eventually make it than one that might not even be used anyways. If the list team think no one will draft Blanck with the 18 month term on his head then I'd risk it and go BPA and then take Blanck with a 2nd pick. Does anyone know the cut off point of announcing how many picks can be taken?

Back