Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Hayes played a blinder last week for Carlton VFL.

I wonder if he could make an impact at 26.

Matt Ling has looked go so far in the VFL. hopefully his body doesnt break down

Delighted for him. There is no doubting the lad's talent. The only rider is his body and Matt having confidence in it.

Delighted for him. There is no doubting the lad's talent. The only rider is his body and Matt having confidence in it.

He was good again yesterday and good enough that id consider us taking him in the MSD.
Our only issue is we are thin for readymade rucks (ceglar got injured yesterday) and key backs so we might need to use our MSD spot on a tall. But i hope someone picks him up.

Mitch Podhajski is the one I will die on a hill for.
Kyle Weightman another I really like so far from Essendon VFL
Sam Lowson could be one to pick.

He was good again yesterday and good enough that id consider us taking him in the MSD.
Our only issue is we are thin for readymade rucks (ceglar got injured yesterday) and key backs so we might need to use our MSD spot on a tall. But i hope someone picks him up.
What role is he playing? I see him as a Jake Lloyd style general defender.

What role is he playing? I see him as a Jake Lloyd style general defender.

Hes our co captain playing half back with a bit of wing. Our defensive group is very inexperienced so i expect him to play mostly there to give it stability.

Any SA watchers have any thoughts on Dyson Hilder from North Adelaide? He was very unlucky not to get drafter in his draft year. From what I've been told he has playing forward and back over the last 2 years. Has taken his game to another level with his fitness and size over the past 6-8 months from what I've been told.

Jai Culley a returning Stingrays player, has beefed up and is looking much more comfortable in the contest as well as more aggressive at the ball carrier

Interested in your opinion of why Culley got passed over last season? Strength and contest work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested in your opinion of why Culley got passed over last season? Strength and contest work?
Those would be the main ones, didn't impact the scoreboard heaps either

Those would be the main ones, didn't impact the scoreboard heaps either

Thanks. You've watched heaps more footy at this level than me, and I'm not sure I saw any Stingrays at all last year.

I was at Frankston on Saturday though and thought Culley was probably best on ground. Looked him up, saw he was u19, and wondered why he didn't get picked up last year.

Be interesting to see what happens with the u19s in the NAB League this year. Most sides seem to have at least one u19 ruck.

Nick Watson's got some tricks, and looked pretty amazing as a 5'6" bottom aged full forward in a losing side.

Mitch O'Neill deserves another chance, but for an untimely serious ankle injury he was shaping like a first round draft pick in his draft year, dual AA at U18's level. Now he seems over his ankle and soft tissue issues that followed he's too good to not be on AFL list, never got a fair crack at the West Coast, sublime skill set.

YOUNG TALL ON MID-SEASON RADAR

AN EARLY name has emerged as a contender for the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Sandringham Dragons ruckman Max Ramsden has taken the attention of recruiters and last week had 11 disposals, 16 hitouts and five clearances in the opening round of the NAB League season.

Ramden, who turns 19 this month, was eligible for the draft last year and nominated (meaning he qualifies as a mid-season option) but was not taken having played school football with Melbourne Grammar over two COVID-hit years.

But the athletic and nimble 202cm prospect has improved with a pre-season at the Dragons and ran a 6:04 minute 2km time trial. For context, Gold Coast gun Matt Rowell ran 6:17 in his year's draft combine time trial.

We watched him last year and what stood out to us was his ability to get around the ground for the size he was. He was showing some really good traits for a big man with the standout being the athletics side but also his hands above his head," said Dragons talent manager Mark Wheeler.

"He's definitely raw but he's going up in the rankings each week he plays. The clubs all saw what he did on the weekend. He plays like another on-baller so we have to educate him to be a ruckman and we're doing some more ruck craft with him."

TESTING DAY Check out top performers of draft hopefuls

Ramsden could be a similar story as Jacob Edwards, who last year impressed in the early stages of the NAB League season with Sandringham to be the mid-year No.1 pick. He was the first of seven ruckmen taken in the mid-season draft as clubs looked to invest in talls.

This year's mid-season draft is scheduled for the week leading up to round 12. – Callum Twomey

Yeah, any 202cm ruckman with a massive motor, agility and strong hands is likely going #1 in the MSD, unless a Leek Alleer or Tim Kelly type emerges in the state leagues.

Hugo Hall-Kahan has a lot of traits to like from Sandy, playing as their deep target currently but I reckon he's got what it takes to be a winger at the next level as well, quick, good hands and leads well. Also think Jack Newitt from Calder has benefited from an inside move, not sure how much of a chance he'd be but is just getting the job done for Calder supremely

Any SA watchers have any thoughts on Dyson Hilder from North Adelaide? He was very unlucky not to get drafter in his draft year. From what I've been told he has playing forward and back over the last 2 years. Has taken his game to another level with his fitness and size over the past 6-8 months from what I've been told.
If his one to watch we need another CHB as Walker is just about done unless they give CCJ a go at CHB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back