Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

We will have at least 1 with Bergman ruled out for the season. We have to be looking at a defender.

We need a mature key defender or a ready to go ruck.

Williams is still like 4-6 years away from the age rucks start to peak. He’s got plenty of time and at worst I don’t see how he doesn’t get around or close to the robs, pittonet type rucks going around by the time he’s in his prime.

The problem is that the eagles never should have had such a gap of age between their old nearly at the end rucks and their developing kids.
Have you seen Williams play recently? I was huge on him but in his 4th he is no better than he was in his first or second season. Our other ruck Jamieson may or not work out but at 10kgs lighter is more competitive in the ruck and when the ball hits the deck.

No way strom nominates unless a club has said they will take him. You would think freo but they dont need key defenders. I wouldnt be unhappy if we took him actually.
Strom is a ruck/forward though

It will be Freo and Brisbane that have shown interest, both teams had interest at SSP but he wasn't eligible

It will be Freo and Brisbane that have shown interest, both teams had interest at SSP but he wasn't eligible
Strom is a centre half forward who played last year on the wing as an extra inside mid at the stoppages at 198cm to great effect. He's not a ruckman, he's just tall. Has played as the backup ruck before (to give Higgins a chopout when he was the #1, that role is Jimmy Miller's now for Hamish Free) but I wouldn't be picking him as an AFL ruckman.

I mean hes played many positions in wafl but hes been good as a kpd so clubs might put him in that role and he has attributes we tend to like.

Brisbane dont have a spot do they and freo dont need his type?

There is assistance being given, but no full time Ruck coach no. That's not entirely out of the ordinary, some do, some don't. My concern however is individuals within the department confusing Nics unique genetic abilities with being a good Ruck coach.
sounds like Ryan Turnbull is ruck coach

But you already have a 19 year old ruck on your list. And a 20/21 year old ruck forward as well.

Conway hasnt played all year due to injury and is not afl ready. Neale is being developed as kpf not ruck. With ceglar and sav out and stanley not fit we need a ready ruck now or a ready kpd (with henry out) if blitz is to be the no1ruck. We dont need a 19yo kid.

Reckon cats are currently #2 in this draft and are currently rucking their best full back as a full time ruck.
There’s zero chance cats have a top 3 pick in the MSD though.

I mean hes played many positions in wafl but hes been good as a kpd so clubs might put him in that role and he has attributes we tend to like.

Brisbane dont have a spot do they and freo dont need his type?
Personally don't think he's an AFL player at all. He would just be too slow around the ground. His versatility makes him almost unplayable at WAFL level but I don't see what he'd bring to an AFL list? His biggest strength for mine is his contested marking in pack situations on the wing/half-forward. Just don't see what he'd bring if you needed to fill a specific role that others can do better. There aren't a lot of KPD's who'd be AFL ready in the WAFL, the only ones I'd look at would be Noah Pegoraro but he's 194 and more of an interceptor but can do shutdown jobs, and Nathan Ireland who's still just extremely raw at 22 and needs a couple more years. I'd love to see Strom get a shot but would be a tough ask to throw him into AFL footy as a key defender.

Personally don't think he's an AFL player at all. He would just be too slow around the ground. His versatility makes him almost unplayable at WAFL level but I don't see what he'd bring to an AFL list? His biggest strength for mine is his contested marking in pack situations on the wing/half-forward. Just don't see what he'd bring if you needed to fill a specific role that others can do better. There aren't a lot of KPD's who'd be AFL ready in the WAFL, the only ones I'd look at would be Noah Pegoraro but he's 194 and more of an interceptor but can do shutdown jobs, and Nathan Ireland who's still just extremely raw at 22 and needs a couple more years. I'd love to see Strom get a shot but would be a tough ask to throw him into AFL footy as a key defender.
For Fremantle there is a strong chance Lobb leaves this year, and Taberner is injury prone. Amiss and Treacy are both 19 and will take some time.

Strom could find a place for a couple of years.

Strom is a centre half forward who played last year on the wing as an extra inside mid at the stoppages at 198cm to great effect. He's not a ruckman, he's just tall. Has played as the backup ruck before (to give Higgins a chopout when he was the #1, that role is Jimmy Miller's now for Hamish Free) but I wouldn't be picking him as an AFL ruckman.
If he is drafted it will be to play the fwd/ruck role that he has played previously at league level

Can't see him playing any other position at AFL level

Would be insurance to Lobb for Freo and insurance to Fort/Mcinerny at Brissy (the 2 previously interested parties)

But you already have a 19 year old ruck on your list. And a 20/21 year old ruck forward as well.
Yeah we probably don't take a ruck here for that reason but at the moment none are fit. Neale isn't really a ruck though he is playing. SDK is needed in the backline. Conway has been injured. Unless you count Blitz we don't have a single fit ruck anywhere.

But you're right, msd won't have ready made solutions so probably kpd is where we'd look, if not then maybe roll the dice on a mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if it's already been posted here, but any chance someone can point me to a list of all players who are eligible and have nominated for the MSD? Thanks.

Rowey reckons Adelaide have shown interest in big bodied Glenelg midfielder Brett Turner. He did have an outstanding game against the Crows SANFL team a couple of weeks ago.
Turner is very good. Does a bit of everything, tough, uses it well, kicks the odd goal.

He is the sort of player who will find a way to contribute.

Sorry if it's already been posted here, but any chance someone can point me to a list of all players who are eligible and have nominated for the MSD? Thanks.
The 10 or so that have received exemptions + all the players who nominated for last years draft - the ones who got drafted/ssp (possibly - a select few who don't nominate for the MSD)

Two WAFL mids that have taken a leap this year are Ben Edwards and Kyle Baskerville. Both went from averaging slightly more than 20 touches to averaging more than 30.

Ben has stood out for a while as he has good agility. With these numbers I think he is very draftable.

Jacob Dawson is a gun in the VFL he has to get a second chance

Two WAFL mids that have taken a leap this year are Ben Edwards and Kyle Baskerville. Both went from averaging slightly more than 20 touches to averaging more than 30.

Ben has stood out for a while as he has good agility. With these numbers I think he is very draftable.

I really like Ben Edwards. He's got a lot of attributes that would translate well to AFL. Agility, ability to find space, strength for his size. Reminds me of Connor West and he's growing in confidence with every game in that Eagles midfield. Claremont's disposal numbers are quite misleading though. Him, Bolton, Martinis, and Lim just share it around with each other and it's often to the team's detriment (watch the last game against Swan Districts, insane that they managed to lose that one).

Baskerville is interesting. Doesn't have a good turn of pace but has a tireless work ethic and just wants to better himself all the time. 100% committed to the team game, a bloke who averages over 30 touches and also doing work defensively with tackling pressure is someone you want on your team. Would love to see him grow again this year and add some more strings to his bow, maybe be a little more damaging going forward and hitting the scoreboard could see a team give him a chance.

I really like Ben Edwards. He's got a lot of attributes that would translate well to AFL. Agility, ability to find space, strength for his size. Reminds me of Connor West and he's growing in confidence with every game in that Eagles midfield. Claremont's disposal numbers are quite misleading though. Him, Bolton, Martinis, and Lim just share it around with each other and it's often to the team's detriment (watch the last game against Swan Districts, insane that they managed to lose that one).

Baskerville is interesting. Doesn't have a good turn of pace but has a tireless work ethic and just wants to better himself all the time. 100% committed to the team game, a bloke who averages over 30 touches and also doing work defensively with tackling pressure is someone you want on your team. Would love to see him grow again this year and add some more strings to his bow, maybe be a little more damaging going forward and hitting the scoreboard could see a team give him a chance.
Does Aidan Clarke fit into this MSD equation?

At first I thought nah.

But the more I see him I'm starting to think that he's hard at it and has x-factor.

Unruly looking character but he influences matches.

Does Aidan Clarke fit into this MSD equation?

At first I thought nah.

But the more I see him I'm starting to think that he's hard at it and has x-factor.

Unruly looking character but he influences matches.
Probably doesn't have enough runs on the board as a pure midfielder. Great run and carry, does really well at the stoppages. Can hit the scoreboard and is extremely versatile - half back, wing, outside mid, half forward. His disposal probably lets him down a bit , can be erratic. I think him and Jesse Turner could both be players who could make some sort of impact at AFL level but at this stage there are probably better options available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back