Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Cal is informative, needs work on his charisma but very knowledgable. Riley just seems like that fat kid that Jonah Hill seems to play in all his movies. Not the star but always appears and does an ok job so keeps getting gigs.

Depends on your definition of knowledgeable. If you define it as having greatclub contacts to predict the drafts well for public then sure but i want more than that from the coverage i want analysis of where the game trends are heading, what clubs need (why not just what) and its clear when cal speaks that not only does he have the personality of a wet lettuce leaf but he doesnt understand the game and cant analyse it-half the guys that do draft expert wraps onthis board could provide miles better in depth analysis than cal ever has and they arent paid to do it. Maybe hes doing what afl house instructs him to do but if so they are giving him bad instructions imoand the quality of draft coverage is getting worse not better at afl media.

Dont even start me on riley hes clearly a nice kid but half his expert comments about what clubs need are so way off its comical. Its like the work experience kid gotthrown in there as a late replacement.

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know whether the 'feeder clubs' who lose players in the mid-season draft get any compensation from the AFL and/or the drafting club?
The unaffiliated ones do, not sure what though

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Depends on your definition of knowledgeable. If you define it as having greatclub contacts to predict the drafts well for public then sure but i want more than that from the coverage i want analysis of where the game trends are heading, what clubs need (why not just what) and its clear when cal speaks that not only does he have the personality of a wet lettuce leaf but he doesnt understand the game and cant analyse it-half the guys that do draft expert wraps onthis board could provide miles better in depth analysis than cal ever has and they arent paid to do it. Maybe hes doing what afl house instructs him to do but if so they are giving him bad instructions imoand the quality of draft coverage is getting worse not better at afl media.

Dont even start me on riley hes clearly a nice kid but half his expert comments about what clubs need are so way off its comical. Its like the work experience kid gotthrown in there as a late replacement.
Covid cut backs hit afl.com media as well.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know whether the 'feeder clubs' who lose players in the mid-season draft get any compensation from the AFL and/or the drafting club?
10k, a pittance in the grand scheme of things that is pretty much useless to clubs right now. Costs more to transfer between sanfl clubs

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
They get $10k.

10k, a pittance in the grand scheme of things that is pretty much useless to clubs right now. Costs more to transfer between sanfl clubs
Thanks. That is indeed a pittance and highly inequitable...surely there's got to be a fairer and more sustainable structure of payments and rewards across the entire system.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Thanks. That is indeed a pittance and highly inequitable...surely there's got to be a fairer and more sustainable structure of payments and rewards across the entire system.
The players don't have to put themselves into the draft.

It's unfair, but the lower leagues are largely now there to feed players into the AFL. The number is just an acknowledgement. The AFL probably knows drafted players would come no matter what.

Back