List Mgmt. 2022 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think we will take anyone?

If so who?

Id like us to look at Jye Menzies from South as a genuine goal kicking small forward prospect. 20 y.o. 180cm forward who's favourite memory is winning 2 GF's in 2 weeks.

13 goals so far (equal 3rd in the Ken Farmer medal).

We don't have a vacancy - Charlie's back in the Snafl this week and even Fantapants is supposedly coming good sometime soon-ish. Lycett to the LTI list is the only possibility at present, maybe McKenzie.

We don't have a vacancy - Charlie's back in the Snafl this week and even Fantapants is supposedly coming good sometime soon-ish. Lycett to the LTI list is the only possibility at present, maybe McKenzie.

I am sure when the time comes we fill have one or can find one if we really want to.

The AFL has closed the loophole which helped Hawthorn swoop on jet hard nut Jai Newcombe in last year’s midseason draft. Rival clubs were unhappy Newcombe nominated for last year’s midseason draft under ‘other terms’ which saw him nominate a higher contract price on a deal until the end of 2023.

It meant Newcombe, 21, was paid more than all of the other midseason draft selections and helped ward off other clubs who were either unable, or unprepared, to pay the higher price.

Rival list managers were adamant the move interfered with the integrity of the draft.

But the league on Wednesday contacted clubs to inform them the loophole would be shut for this year’s midseason draft on June 1.

This year all nominees who have not previously been on an AFL list will be paid the same on their initial deals with their new clubs.

Newcombe’s deal at Hawthorn was believed to be worth more than $150,000 in his first year in brown and gold last season.

Anyone know why he's only debuting at 23?
I would be down bit of a free swing.

This could be one of those things Covid and the Northern Territory being a very different place to be than Victoria?

There’s no way I’d have picked him to be 190cm.

From 2016 as a 17 year old?

“ A product of Tiwi Island Footbal League club Walama Bulldogs and the St John’s College football factory, Kantilla is a part of the famous Bathurst Island family that has produced a series of champions, including the late David “Soapy’’ Kantilla.”

Could easily fall in love with the idea but we never do anything interesting or fun with these picks.

Bauer for North is a Sydney Academy player who didn’t get picked in the draft , not sure if it was last years or not but has 13 goals from 3 games as a third tall or mid sized forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PORT ADELAIDE defender Jake Pasini will miss the remainder of the season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

OK who is available as a key defender?

Club information
ull nameSam Durdin
Date of birth6 June 1996 (age 25)
Original team(s)West Adelaide (SANFL)
DraftNo. 16, 2014 national draft
DebutRound 3, 2017, North Melbourne
vs. Greater Western Sydney, at Blundstone Arena
Height198 cm (6 ft 6 in)
Weight95 kg (209 lb)
Position(s)Defender
Current clubGlenelg Football Club
Has been in Bay's bests a few times, but haven't really taken notice of him.
Is he more mobile than Sam Skinner?
Seems to have the physical traits we are looking for.

Horrible news for Jake. He has been very impressive this year and his pace is very surprising. He’ll be back.

It certainly opens up this conversation. The questions are:

1. Do we bother with the MSD?
2. Do we strengthen our 2022 AFL side or look more to the future?
3. Do we need another Tall Defender or will Aliir, Clurey, Jonas, McKenzie with cover from Burton and Finlayson be enough. Reality was that Pasini wasn’t going to play AFL in 2022 anyway.
4. What area do we look at or is it simply a matter of the best player at our pick?

My answers-

1. Yes- even if just for the Magpies- it doesn’t help player development to have an uncompetitive SANFL team.
2. Review this in 3 weeks but I’m leaning towards a 2022 ready player.
3. We don’t need another Key Defender.
4. We still need pressure, crumbing forwards- someone like Stengle without the drug purchasing and drink driving.

PORT ADELAIDE defender Jake Pasini will miss the remainder of the season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Club information
ull nameSam Durdin
Height198 cm (6 ft 6 in)
Weight95 kg (209 lb)
Position(s)Defender
Damn that sucks for the kid. Jake was building a nice body of work. Hopefully he can come back bigger and better 🤞

Even though it's Pasini who's gone down, I would've thought a ruckman would be a more pressing need in the MSD. We have five mature KPD options but only one mature age ruck. If Hayes goes down we are royally ****ed.

What we DON'T need.

1. Undersized mid who then gets played as a small forward.
2. Undersized mid who then gets played as a small forward.
3. Undersized mid who then gets played as a small forward.

Narrator: And then Port drafted another undersized mid and played him forward.

Club information
ull nameSam Durdin
Height198 cm (6 ft 6 in)
Weight95 kg (209 lb)
Position(s)Defender
Be careful I got smashed for putting him forward last yr 😂😂

Even though it's Pasini who's gone down, I would've thought a ruckman would be a more pressing need in the MSD. We have five mature KPD options but only one mature age ruck. If Hayes goes down we are royally f’ed.
This is our greatest need but all AFL standard ruckmen are well gone by the MSD. You will only get someone the standard of Brooksby if you go down that dead end road.

The only option in this space is Matthew Lobbe. Would’ve played for the SANFL team had he not been ineligible under archaic SANFL rules that prohibit us recruiting from the VFL. This would mean he could now suit up for the Magpies and it keeps the SANFL happy as we are not poaching from another club.

But in an emergency, I’d back Visentini and Lord.

But I’d go a small electric forward if there is one of sufficient standard.

Last edited:
We aren't finding a gun midfielder in the draft, so we either:
1. Get a state league Ruck or KPD as injury coverage. We don't have a dedicated ruck outside Hayes, but Dixon could do it and have MG, Todd and Finlayson as the 3 forward still. I'd still go ruck before KPD though if going the mature body.

2. Get a young project Ruck or 195cm+ KPD, knowing they are years away.

I'd go with option 2, but could live with option 1. What will invariably s**t me is we'll get a small and/or vanilla mid again, then not even play them as a mid. I can feel veins pulsing in my skull just thinking about it. FMD, another reason I despise our coach.

If anything happens to Sam Hayes who does the ruck work? Maybe Charlie Dixon does the job or maybe we look at a backup ruck if there is one? The guy does not have to be a long term proposition but simply someone to get us through 2022.

One thing for sure, we do not need another small forward. We still have Fantasia and Farrell to fit into last week's side on top of Gray, Motlop, Duursma, etc. Then there is Mayes, McEntee etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back