Review 2022 Mid season review

Remove this Banner Ad

The other consideration now is we look to be likely to finish higher than many including me expected. Say we finish 10th and have pick 8 whcih likley pushes out a spot of two. Compensation for De Goey turns into maybe pick 10. No way i would like to lose JDG in his prime to FA for pick 10.
AFL has the discretion to upgrade picks in circumstances such as this AFAIK.

Not that I’m advocating losing JDG.

As usual the AFL is lagging behind the actual facts of the game - clubs and coaches will always seek to take advantage and knowing this the AFL is?

1. Doing what they are paid to do and thoroughly administering the game XXX Too bloody incompetent.
2. Giving the fans credible reasons for always being behind the curve XXX Too bloody dumb to come up with even a poor excuse.
3. Too busy bending over for the betting shops and media moguls YES We have a winner !!!
bruv, chill

think it should be a concern for the AFL that the two strongest lists - Melbourne and Carlton - that should have an extended run at the top, have gotten there in no small way by an extended run at the bottom
I thought that was the point of the equalisation measures the AFL enforce. I think they’ll be patting themselves on the back rather than be concerned.

I thought that was the point of the equalisation measures the AFL enforce. I think they’ll be patting themselves on the back rather than be concerned.
It’s not supposed to take decades of incompetence to get there though.

Like many other posters, the club has exceeded my early season prediction of us finishing bottom 4.

Highlights for me
  • We've been fun to watch - taking the game on has been a real highlight for me.
  • Nick Daicos - has been superb and will become a jet of the competition. Love his brother as well
  • Coaching panel and selection process has been pretty good
  • Ollie Henry, and Reef McInnes both are hugely promising
  • Haven't heard much from Jeff Browne
  • Ginnivan has been a real surprise - did not think he would make it.
  • Beggs debut - he has come from nowhere and early signs are promising
Issues
  • Injuries to key players I wanted to see develop this year - Johnson and, Kreuger for example
  • A group of younger players who are yet to impact and unsure if they are going to make it - McCrae, Poulter
  • Brown Bros dont look like they are going any further - Tyler might be given another season but time is running out
  • Lack of KPD and KPF (quality)
  • We might finish in no mans land this season 9th - 11th which means we wont get a high enough pick to land the best KPF
Disappointments
  • Injuries to Grundy and Jamie Elliott (isn't he always)
  • Form of some of our senior players - expected more from Maynard this season
  • Lipinski - I suppose my expectations were too high in the first place so was bound to be disappointment

Pretyy good start to Fly's coaching career at the Pies - we are a solid 'B' in my book

Yes and know. You want teams to rise, but you don't want too much incentive for teams to be really s**t. Who'd watch a neutral game involving either wce or Nth at the moment. And Hawthorn tried to trade out their experience, so it could have been 3 of them.

Bux assessment of us on sen:

Collingwood

“I had a feeling that this year would be the best of the next three because they’ve got some players that will tip over.

“That might go into halfway next year, that might go into the end of next year.

“When you’ve got Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom, Jack Crisp, Jordan De Goey, Brayden Maynard - and I probably missed a few - if you can get all of this guys on the park and you’ve got your nucleus, and then you add a sprinkling of young blokes around the edge, then you’re always going to be competitive.

“They were a spread for me. Minimum eight (wins), maximum 15. I think they can still be a top-eight side.

“So to me, they’ve matched (expectations), but they’re probably on the exceeding side at the moment with the last two weeks.”

pretty close to mine, and further reaffirmation we need to get some high-end draft picks in.

I'd give us a B.

I expected us to be in the 6-10 range this year and that's where we are.

The biggest thing for me is we are enjoyable to watch again and capable of kicking a winning score. Also love the hardness and competitiveness this group is developing.

Really happy with the performances so far from Quaynor, Noble, the Daicos brothers, Crisp and Howe. All are having excellent seasons while guys like Henry and Ginnivan are also showing heaps of potential. I've liked De Goey's season so far and if he continues to play at this level I hope we pay him.

The last two weeks will give us a lot of confidence and hopefully we can play finals and maybe even win one.

I had us bottom 6 so we have exceeded that. I also have been impressed by our efforts against good teams.
I have always rated Ollie but Ginni has been a very good pickup also. I’d like to see Nick get more minutes in ball to ramp up his development.
I still expect the Hawks to beat us as that’s what they do. If we pass that test, the sky is the limit.

Like many other posters, the club has exceeded my early season prediction of us finishing bottom 4.

Highlights for me
  • We've been fun to watch - taking the game on has been a real highlight for me.
  • Nick Daicos - has been superb and will become a jet of the competition. Love his brother as well
Issues
  • Injuries to key players I wanted to see develop this year - Johnson and, Kreuger for example
  • A group of younger players who are yet to impact and unsure if they are going to make it - McCrae, Poulter
  • Brown Bros dont look like they are going any further - Tyler might be given another season but time is running out
  • We might finish in no mans land this season 9th - 11th which means we wont get a high enough pick to land the best KPF
Disappointments
  • Lipinski - I suppose my expectations were too high in the first place so was bound to be disappointment

Pretyy good start to Fly's coaching career at the Pies - we are a solid 'B' in my book
Interesting to be disappointed with Lippa. I am the opposite. Reckon we are getting more from than could have reasonably expected. Hope he can keep this level up

Last edited:
Interesting to be disappointed with Lippa. I am the opposite. Reckon we are getting more.from than could.have reasonably expected. Hope he can keep this level up

Agree Lippa has been mostly Solid with a Few Really Good Games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has that ever happened?
Probably did with Frawley, but that was about the team being a basket case, not because of how the AFL rated the player. Buddy going got the hawks pick 18. There's no chance they'd up the compo for JDG. We'd get whatever band his contract comes out to - straight after our first I'd assume, but if a lower contract would be end of first round.

like Ben Keays, Will Brodie, Peter Wright, Jarryd Lyons, etc...

There are a lot of good players not playing regular AFL footy

fwiw I'm not keen on Fiorini, just saying, there are a heap of bargains out there that just need a fresh start

I think if we can find another Lipinski and Krueger then we will have done well. We need to keep adding to that 22-25 year old group, after missing out through the Beams/Treloar trade era.

Highlights for me
Issues
Disappointments

Hang on, what? He'd be top 5 in the BnF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back