Review 2022 Mid season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draw after the bye is very nice. We could easily go 4-2 and set ourselves up.for a chance at bottom half of the 8.
Yes yes I know we lost to WC. But we have just beaten Freo and Carlton.
We are 6-5 now.
Beat Hawks and lose to Melb both likely results.
Win 4-2 out of next 6 after the bye sees us at 11 wins.
Currently 3.30 on Sportsbet to make the 8. I reckon that is overs.

Guys, there’s one substantial additional point: we’re developing a hardness as a team.
I might be going early on this, but the last two games have shown a willingness and attack on the ball and player that reminds me a little of the Lions team that our coach was a part of.

I hope that becomes a sustained part of our DNA.

Ive seen glimpses of it under Buckley and Malthouse, but not since Matthew’s has it been our brand.
If we make that our brand others will fear us and we’ll win flags.

Great post Phantom! :thumbsu:

I gather you're talking about closing space on the oppo ball carrier? If yes, we did this early in the year and kept that pressure up game long (or attempted to) and we run outta steam. Coz it requires two way running (or to outrun the oppo's)

From my observations, in the last two games, we are once again applying this defensive pressure (ground wide). The difference being we're holding shape outside the contest (i:e not caught out if we lose contest) and learning to tempo the game when the oppo has momentum when we attain possession in their momentum.

In short - our new game is evolving and / or the squad are predictable to each other and are on the same page. How much more this evolves is still be realized.

My concern is with what’s coming through and where we will be in 3 years without Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe etc

Well this is the 'planets have to align' stuff.

Our blue chip players, including these guys is great right now, but yeah there's a hole once they're gone.

And it also explains why it's unlikely we can build a sustained success team when they're gone.

We're trying to bridge a gap / rely on developing game and player to cover the old talent - in other words 'system over talent' mantra.

It's the age / experience gap that is the issue as you've pointed out.

Our blue chip players, including these guys is great right now, but yeah there's a hole once they're gone.

And it also explains why it's unlikely we can build a sustained success team when they're gone.

We're trying to bridge a gap / rely on developing game and player to cover the old talent - in other words 'system over talent' mantra.

Whether or not we fall in a hole in a few years really depends on how long guys like Crisp, Adams, Howe, Elliott, Mihocek can remain near their best. We'll need a few of them to hold out for a fair while to not drop.

I think if we can find another Lipinski and Krueger then we will have done well. We need to keep adding to that 22-25 year old group, after missing out through the Beams/Treloar trade era.

I'd target Highmore and consider a play for Hopper, more so in his FA year. I think you're right but we have to be careful to retain decent draft picks or else we'll just be in the same position in 5 years time.

Whether or not we fall in a hole in a few years really depends on how long guys like Crisp, Adams, Howe, Elliott, Mihocek can remain near their best. We'll need a few of them to hold out for a fair while to not drop.

Most of them are already very late 20's or 30, 30+ and for the most part are a big big part of our improvement.

Crisp and Checkers are the durables but unlikely to be at the next tilt, unless that comes really quickly!

Most of them are already very late 20's or 30, 30+ and for the most part are a big big part of our improvement.

Crisp and Checkers are the durables but unlikely to be at the next tilt, unless that comes really quickly!
Times have changed a bit though. Players look after themselves so much better than they used to and good players aren't falling off the cliff at 30 anymore. We need these guys to hold the Fort for a fair while longer otherwise we fall. I'm not talking about flags - just avoiding a crash.

Dunn, Howe, Varcoe, WHE (at that time), Mayne (had his moments)… 2018 showed for me that canny trade and FA pickups can complete a list

They’ve already done so with Lipinski… Krueger looks good too (when fit)

If they can nail a couple more trade and FA targets in this year and next then there might be enough talent to pose a good 24-26 players

But that requires some luck and some luck again with injuries 🍀

Otherwise as we agree…the rebuild will take longer than desired

I'd target Highmore and consider a play for Hopper, more so in his FA year. I think you're right but we have to be careful to retain decent draft picks or else we'll just be in the same position in 5 years time.

Totally agree. Under no circumstance do we trade away our first pick for the next 3 seasons, minimum. We can add these players that aren't getting games at their current club through 2nd and 3rd round selections.

Not sure on Hopper's contract/free agency situation but the more i look at the McStay scenario, the more i think we should target him. Unrestricted free agent so won't cost us anything other than cap space. He's 26 so a number of good years ahead of him and will provide strong support to Checkers and Kruges up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post Phantom! :thumbsu:

I gather you're talking about closing space on the oppo ball carrier? If yes, we did this early in the year and kept that pressure up game long (or attempted to) and we run outta steam. Coz it requires two way running (or to outrun the oppo's)

From my observations, in the last two games, we are once again applying this defensive pressure (ground wide). The difference being we're holding shape outside the contest (i:e not caught out if we lose contest) and learning to tempo the game when the oppo has momentum when we attain possession in their momentum.

In short - our new game is evolving and / or the squad are predictable to each other and are on the same page. How much more this evolves is still be realized.
You got it C2010

Attack on the contest and player, denying them space.
I want it to extend to physical presence and implied pressure.
Even a touch of unsociable football- within the rules

Times have changed a bit though. Players look after themselves so much better than they used to and good players aren't falling off the cliff at 30 anymore. We need these guys to hold the Fort for a fair while longer otherwise we fall. I'm not talking about flags - just avoiding a crash.

Well if we're not chasing flags (which I'm sure the club is), then what is the point? We've already crashed.

Dunn, Howe, Varcoe, WHE (at that time), Mayne (had his moments)… 2018 showed for me that canny trade and FA pickups can complete a list

They’ve already done so with Lipinski… Krueger looks good too (when fit)

If they can nail a couple more trade and FA targets in this year and next then there might be enough talent to pose a good 24-26 players

But that requires some luck and some luck again with injuries 🍀

Otherwise as we agree…the rebuild will take longer than desired

I'm not sure the Mayne trade in was a good one, we paid too much and he was limited in ability.

If the rebuild takes longer than desired we'll fall off a cliff when our older stars are gone.

Has to be done within the next 2-3 years otherwise it's pointless.

We’re now at the mid season point of 11 games and we’ve already matched our total wins of last season of 6 wins.

Current ladder with teams we won or lost against

Melbourne / Naarn
Brisbane (lost)
Freo (won)
St Kilda (won)
Carlton (won)
Geelong (lost)
Swans
Bulldogs (lost)
Richmond (lost)
Collingwood
Port
Suns (won)
Hawthorn
Giants
Crows (won)
Essendon (won)
North
West Coast (lost)

It’w a mixed bag, which is not unexpected for a developing team learning a new game plan.

Highlights for me of the year so far …

• Gameplan
  • Our team is more competitive than I expected
  • Nick Daicos is developing very well
  • Ginnivan looks to be a keeper despite only playing around a dozen games. Entertaining player
  • Henry has also had some good games. He’s been inconsistent, but that’s OK, he’s young.
  • John Noble is surely a lock for top 10 in the Copeland on his form so far this year.
  • Sidey’s 2022 is an improvement on last year
  • Lipinski has been a solid get
  • I’m probably going a bit early, but if Murphy plays more games like today (v Carlton) then he’ll be a keeper
  • Good to see debutants Begg, N.Daicos, McInnis get games.
  • Josh Daicos is having a very good year.
  • Jack Crisp continues his playing streak.
  • Pressure has been up this year.
  • Scoring has been up this year. We‘re building some semblance of a functional forward line. Number of goal scorers has been up.
  • Mihocek been as reliable as ever.

Unresolved questions that still need answering

• Finlay Macrae hasn’t been able to back up his good form from 2021 and get on the park
  • McCreery hasn’t progressed very far beyond his good 2021 form
  • Poulter hasn’t gotten many opportunities to build on his 2021 form
  • Tyler Brown has sown glimpses at times, but hasn’t had a breakout.
  • Our clearances are a work in progress. It’s been a weakness - although this week v Carlton seemed an improvement
  • DeGoey has been reasonably solid, but without being outstanding.

Disappointments

• Long term injuries to Johnson, Krueger, Grundy, Elliott, Roughead, Wilson, Dean.
  • Losing to current wooden spooners West Coast
  • Callum Brown in no-man’s land. Has played sufficient games to be expected to show more
  • Will Kelly hasn’t been able to get an opportunity.
  • Darcy Moore’s form has been a bit down.
  • Maynard’s 2 week suspension to start the year off seems harsh in hindsight
View attachment 1411976
Game plan wise I think we are preparing for the future, but it is balanced with pressure and hard work so I like it. It’s not the game plan that suits our list as it stands now.

Ginivan has been impressive, but I’m not going to make a call on him this early. He’s the type of player for me that could drop off a cliff impact wise.

Big pluses for me this year are:

Mihocek: just my type of footballer.
Murphy: looks to have broken through, always thought he had potential.
T Brown: I reckon by the end of the year he will have shown enough for an extension.
Daicos: boys doing Daicos things.
Noble: will never be the hardest player, but boy does he try.
Pendlebury: looks like he can play another decade.

The not so good:
Grundy’s contract: this could kill us long term.
Team skills: too many primer movers with poor skills.
Injuries: to developing players coupled with COVID restrictions over the preceding 2 years makes it hard.
Timidness: carrying too many soft players, and younger types doesn’t work well with our high turnover ‘game plan’.

Noble: will never be the hardest player, but boy does he try.

How do you define hard?

Looks to me one of our hardest players this year, he throws himself into the contest when it’s his turn. When he gets good contact his tackles generally stick.

Last edited:
Really happy with our season so far considering how many u'22 players we have. I read quite a few expressions of frustration around the lack of minutes our young players are getting - McCrae, Poulter, Ruscoe, Begg, Reef, McMahon, Kelly, Bianco... list goes on, but I have to say I'm glad that the coaches have left the young'uns in the twos to develop. If nothing else, that group of players are developing synergy. New game plan, new roles, and our VFL form suggests it's coming together. They will replace our older players over the next couple of years and hopefully they'll come in and not miss a beat. All young teams run out of steam in the back half of a season. I feel we've managed our list to firewall that eventuality somewhat.

Lastly, I've always marvelled at the way the Swans debut players who look 'built' for AFL football. Whether that's because of their academy set up, or they let their players cut their teeth in the twos to develop, their debutants seem physically ready. I'd like to think we're doing the same in holding our players back a little.

How do you define hard?

Looks to me one of our hardest players this year, he throws himself into the contest when it’s his turn. When he gets good contact his tackles generally stick.
His ability to stick tackles has gone through the roof this year, same with a few others. You can tell its been a focus.

How do you define hard?

Murphy, Adams, Grundy, Mihocek, Moore, Degoey…hard AF. Noble does what he needs to but he’s pulled out of contests, and fair enough it’s not for everyone. But it’s a weakness…unless you’re like Murphy and never fit because you’re constantly injured…

Only one thing relevant to me. We are playing football that is entertaining to watch. We are unpredictable and capable of beating teams up the ladder. I don't mind if the Pies lose but having easy goals scored against on a fast break or a sideways kick was painful to watch. I am adverse to pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back