Review 2022 Mid season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Players that half thru the Season could be De-Listed at Years End:

• Callum Brown
  • Issac Chugg
  • Trey Ruscoe
  • Madgen
I think Chugg and Madgen will get an extension. Not sure what Bianco’s contract situation is, but he looked pretty average today.

Wades influence I think.
There was an interesting interview with IQ at the start of the year that pricked my ears and left me a bit shocked.

He was talking about the new coaches and mentioned having enjoyed working with Jetta. He said that he liked that Jetta broke down and showed him some different tackling techniques and that the technical aspect of tackling had never been showed to him before - a kid who had gone through all of the "elite pathways"

I suspect its technique more than physical conditioning that has seen our tackling improve. In previous years, even Jordy struggled to stick a tackle. Blokes would hit his chest and bounce off before he'd wrapped his arms around him.

I'm biased as a teacher, but am really happy, as I think our coaching panel has shifted from organisational instructors to teachers. I was very impressed when McRae the other day spoke about how long they worked on end game scenarios after the Carlton game.

I think Chugg and Madgen will get an extension. Not sure what Bianco’s contract situation is, but he looked pretty average today.

Fair Enough about Bianco he probably not 100% Guranteed a New Contract.

Then the Whole 2019 Draft was a Total Bust IF Bianco Goes

There was an interesting interview with IQ at the start of the year that pricked my ears and left me a bit shocked.

He was talking about the new coaches and mentioned having enjoyed working with Jetta. He said that he liked that Jetta broke down and showed him some different tackling techniques and that the technical aspect of tackling had never been showed to him before - a kid who had gone through all of the "elite pathways"

I suspect its technique more than physical conditioning that has seen our tackling improve. In previous years, even Jordy struggled to stick a tackle. Blokes would hit his chest and bounce off before he'd wrapped his arms around him.

I'm biased as a teacher, but am really happy, as I think our coaching panel has shifted from organisational instructors to teachers. I was very impressed when McRae the other day spoke about how long they worked on end game scenarios after the Carlton game.
Agreed - that is the coaching staff 101 course . . . or should be - they have the knowledge and need to pass it on effectively.

We're 10th which is higher than I had us, the question is, is that a good thing?
Yes it is. Hoping to finish lower so we can get a better draft pick is never preferable to winning games of footy. The injection of belief and connection that comes from winning big games on a big stage is priceless

Probably the question we have is do we trade De Goey? Do we trade him for a first rounder, which we can flip with our ladder-position selection into a higher pick. For example, we trade De Goey for Pick 8, land Pick 11 from the ladder and trade the pair for Pick 3?

Or do we keep it and continue our haul of first rounders.
You destroy the fabric of the very thing you are trying to build in a club by trading a popular, talented player in the hope of securing better draft picks.

You destroy the fabric of the very thing you are trying to build in a club by trading a popular, talented player in the hope of securing better draft picks.

Us punters have no idea about who is popular or unpopular inside a footy club.

Our record against fellow Top 8 sides is impressive:

BRIS loss 7pts
MELB win 26pts
FREO win 36pts
CARL win 4pts
GEEL loss 13pts
ST K win 17pts
SYD TBA

So we are 4-2 with one to come. Very impressive after coming 17th last year. So far ahead of what I had expected.

And best of all, we are genuinely fun to watch. Reminds me a lot of the 2009-2011 era.

Huge credit to the coaching and fitness staff, Graeme Wright and the players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not if you have a brain, Melbourne and Richmond show us that finishing on the bottom of the ladder and drafting some superstars is pretty important to premiership success.
How many rebuilds and years collecting high quality draft picks did it take for both to finally get a flag?
Tanking is no guarantee of success.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our record against fellow Top 8 sides is impressive:

BRIS loss 7pts
MELB win 26pts
FREO win 36pts
CARL win 4pts
GEEL loss 13pts
ST K win 17pts
SYD TBA

So we are 4-2 with one to come. Very impressive after coming 17th last year. So far ahead of what I had expected.

And best of all, we are genuinely fun to watch. Reminds me a lot of the 2009-2011 era.

Huge credit to the coaching and fitness staff, Graeme Wright and the players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t forget that in the Lions game we had virtually no forward line that night.Mihocek,Elliott,Ginnivan,Henry and Mcreery all didn’t play that night.And we only lost by 7 points.I think it’s pretty safe to say that we would have won that game if those players had played that night.

Don’t forget that in the Lions game we had virtually no forward line that night.Mihocek,Elliott,Ginnivan,Henry and Mcreery all didn’t play that night.And we only lost by 7 points.I think it’s pretty safe to say that we would have won that game if those players had played that night.
we also played Grundy, Cameron, Cox, kreuger, that game on top of Magden, Wilson, Roughead, Howe, Moore. Way too many talls. Mcrae was experimenting. Cats Game we lost Mcrae was coaching process/system rather than chuck guys back to stem the flow. Great learning game. Have been lucky with injuries so far (touch wood) but you can see the team evolving and learning on the run which is a credit to everyone there.

Lots of improvement to come as well.

Madge would be very cheap depth, he has heart but hopefully we don’t have to rely on him as often as we have. Murphy has stepped up, Dean is still unknown but hopes are high.

How many rebuilds and years collecting high quality draft picks did it take for both to finally get a flag?
Tanking is no guarantees of success.
Tanking is a bad attitude to have. Melbourne tanked and suffered for a long time. Do you want us to enter into financial ruin?

Carlton and St Kilda tanked for years but have not won a flag. If your draft picks are busts or you don't have some luck, then it's not a sure-fire way to win. Melbourne's true bench mark of success will be multiple flags, not on fluke. Sure, Richmond did it but that's an isolated example. Hawthorn had a dynasty without tanking and Sydney's dominance was not from them choosing to lose.

When you tank, you lose money. Members don't come, blockbusters go and you become irrelevant. North are raking in $300,000 in profit a year and boasting they are in the green. No fan wants a club poorer than a local car dealer.

We have to aim high and not try to cheat and gain the third pick for some no-hope. Gold Coast's list on paper should dominate but it doesn't. Tanking is an old mindset intended to cheat the draft and gain superstars - it would be like placing all of your income of the past five years into an investment account for a lottery with 'boosted' odds. Or you could enter the same lottery with a safer amount for lesser odds. I know which one I'd take.

Collingwood club banner

Best and Fairest leader​

Jack Crisp

Last year’s Copeland Trophy winner may have gone to another level in 2022, with his consistency coming to the fore.

On top of averaging an impressive 27 disposals a game, Crisp has rocketed into second place in the official AFL Player Ratings while leading the competition in pressure acts.

The midfielder is renowned for his ability to play consecutive games and having played all 13 so far this year, he’s probably been in Collingwood’s top handful in at least 11 of them.

At 28-year-old Crisp is in the prime of his career and shows no signs of slowing down.

Barring injury, he should have a second Copeland to his name come season’s end.

Top contenders​

Defenders Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe have been criticised at times for their willingness to play off their opponents, but for the majority of the year, they’ve been huge for Craig McRae’s Pies.

Through the midfield, off-season recruit Patrick Lipinski and Jordan De Goey have been consistent throughout, but have invariably played second fiddle to the frontrunner in Crisp.

Up forward, Brody Mihocek would be highly regarded for his work rate and ability to hit the scoreboard with 26 goals from 12 games, while two others at completely different stages of their careers in Scott Pendlebury and Nick Daicos will attract plenty of votes throughout.

Biggest surprise​

The rise from 17th

Collingwood’s rise up the ladder has shocked many, with just about no one expecting the Magpies to be sitting on the brink of the eight at the bye after finishing 17th in 2021.

At 8-5 through 13 weeks and with big scalps in Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton and St Kilda under their belt, Collingwood’s fixture really opens up in the next month and a half where they’ll have a hot chance to book themselves a finals berth.

It would probably shock everyone bar maybe a few inside the AIA Centre if these Magpies are playing September footy in 2022.

Players that need a big second half of the year​

Brodie Grundy is one player that needs to have a big second half of the year both for himself and the club.

While the ruckman was solid in the first part of the season before succumbing to a PCL injury, Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox have filled his ruck role with aplomb since he went down.

As a result, Grundy will be desperate to retake the mantle as the club’s number one ruck.

If Collingwood can keep Cameron and Cox playing to their current level and add Grundy in on top of that, Magpies fans will be thrilled.

Players we're not talking about enough​

With his brother fairly attracting a bevy of headlines, Josh Daicos has quietly gone about his work on a wing for Collingwood.

After a down 2021, Daicos has returned to his preferred position and has performed consistently for McRae, offering neat skills, drive and elite footy IQ out wide for this reinvigorated Magpies team.

Averaging 20 touches a game, Daicos has probably outshone his veteran counterpart Steele Sidebottom who has featured on the other wing, proving how strong he’s been in 2022.

Us punters have no idea about who is popular or unpopular inside a footy club.
I'll trust the words of our club's coach. He has repeatedly praised DeGoey's attitude, behavior and the positive impact he has had upon the playing group- but perhaps he's actually hated by his teammates. Hell, we might just tell him to piss off at the end of the season.

I'll trust the words of our club's coach. He has repeatedly praised DeGoey's attitude, behavior and the positive impact he has had upon the playing group- but perhaps he's actually hated by his teammates. Hell, we might just tell him to piss off at the end of the season.

Until I hear a head coach say “Nah, <insert player’s name> is a dickhead and me and the playing group can’t wait to see the back of him end of season …” then I’m gunna take head coach comments with a grain of salt.

Because we know historically that there have absolutely been players who have been in that category, and yet never in the history of the AFL has a Senior Coach ever publicly said that.

Until I hear a head coach say “Nah, <insert player’s name> is a dickhead and me and the playing group can’t wait to see the back of him end of season …” then I’m gunna take head coach comments with a grain of salt.

Because we know historically that there have absolutely been players who have been in that category, and yet never in the history of the AFL has a Senior Coach ever publicly said that.
Fair comment 76 and to think about it that wouldn't be a good look to prospective recruits and free agents.

But to go out of one’s way to praise a player doesn’t mean anything?

But to go out of one’s way to praise a player doesn’t mean anything?

Sure, it does mean something.

Generally speaking, when a senior coach says something publicly, it means that he is saying something he wants the public to know or believe.

McRae is a little different, because he’s still new and learning the caper which is why he is very refreshing.

For example: he’s made a few comments about how he has been trading notes with other coaches. I’d reckon that everyone from the AFL to the Collingwood PR department would prefer he not talk about that. But some of his comments about players seem to be calculated.

So, getting back to the season so far, it has been a cracker until some goose went to bali because he feels he has the right to party

Remove this Banner Ad

Back