Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Just get the bloke who we think is going to have the best career in the AFL.
Overlooking that player for a short term fix would be a ridiculous decision.
You have to wonder what the flow on effects are for not having enough KPD on the list. Playing other defenders out of position and in side that gets pummelled from pillar to post. A few youngish KPDs would do us nicely. Especially if they are fit and play rather than sitting on sidelines injured

At 198cm and 103kg, Strom is a versatile tall who is a highly accomplished key defender and can also star in the ruck and on the wing.

Unlike almost every other player fighting for a spot on an AFL list during the pre-season supplemental selection period, Strom, the older brother of Fremantle AFLW star Mim, has a professional career of his own away from football.

Strom is a chiropractor who has been working with sporting clubs in recent years, focusing on managing injuries and facilitating rehabilitation, including at South Fremantle where he has worked with the players.

The West Australian is regarded as one of the strongest men in the WAFL and has the fitness base to come straight in and play in the AFL.
Please North. We can fix our fitness and backline in one addition to the team haha

This draft last year wasn’t that impressive. Only Newcombe has gone on to become a decent player.
Our selection is doing a mini preseason because he’s not fit enough.

Ham was a wasted pick but not like Callows has done much at Hawthorn anyway.

To go back further to 2019 our pick on Hosie didn’t work out but so did every other selection that year. We were crying out for Ricardi and still think we should be in his ear about bringing him home.

All in all, I wouldn’t expect much from our selections at this draft.

This draft last year wasn’t that impressive. Only Newcombe has gone on to become a decent player.
Our selection is doing a mini preseason because he’s not fit enough.

Ham was a wasted pick but not like Callows has done much at Hawthorn anyway.

To go back further to 2019 our pick on Hosie didn’t work out but so did every other selection that year. We were crying out for Ricardi and still think we should be in his ear about bringing him home.

All in all, I wouldn’t expect much from our selections at this draft.
Seems like there's a decent amount of gems who have fallen through due to covid affected seasons. We could speed up the rebuild by bringing them in.

We’re not going to draft Hore.

Similar position to last year were we had Flynn Appleby train with us and then join our VFL team. Ended up going Edwards and Ham in the MSD.

Whilst Ham was a bust you could see the direction the recruiting team were trying to go.

We’re not going to draft Hore.

Similar position to last year were we had Flynn Appleby train with us and then join our VFL team. Ended up going Edwards and Ham in the MSD.

Whilst Ham was a bust you could see the direction the recruiting team were trying to go.
I am not confident we won’t

Bit late but I went to the Colgate Young Guns game on the weekend, only watched the first half as even though I love footy and the draft, it was pretty boring IMO.
Massimo D'Ambrosio a massive standout for mine, just keeps building, I was sat right near the wing so could see most of what he did up close. Different to the half back position he usually plays but just as impressive, calm under pressure with all the moves and hit some laser lace out passes. Even the kicks he missed looked beautiful off the boot and went to the right spots. Reminds me so much of Jayden Short.
Oscar Faulkhead the other young gun that stood out to me, was really zippy through the midfield and kicked a ripper goal. Not a type for. us to go after though.

If we have a high draft pick in 2023 (we will), Zane Duursma is a special talent, in the 2nd quarter he was everywhere, marking everything and was only better execution away from having a serious bag just in that quarter

Bit late but I went to the Colgate Young Guns game on the weekend, only watched the first half as even though I love footy and the draft, it was pretty boring IMO.
Massimo D'Ambrosio a massive standout for mine, just keeps building, I was sat right near the wing so could see most of what he did up close. Different to the half back position he usually plays but just as impressive, calm under pressure with all the moves and hit some laser lace out passes. Even the kicks he missed looked beautiful off the boot and went to the right spots. Reminds me so much of Jayden Short.
Oscar Faulkhead the other young gun that stood out to me, was really zippy through the midfield and kicked a ripper goal. Not a type for. us to go after though.

If we have a high draft pick in 2023 (we will), Zane Duursma is a special talent, in the 2nd quarter he was everywhere, marking everything and was only better execution away from having a serious bag just in that quarter

Also my mate is interviewing Mutaz El Nour right now so will put the link to that in when its posted.
These are the two I'd take if we have two picks. El Nour and Massimo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the two I'd take if we have two picks. El Nour and Massimo.

D'Ambrossio showed some flashes last year in the NAB League but he really went to another level in the last couple of games - unfortunately for him it was a little too late and he hadn't done enough over the course of the season. Thrilled for him this year, he's been a standout in every game he has played at NAB League and representative level, and put in a very solid VFL performance too. Hard not to see him drafted at the coming MSD. Western Jets boy too.

I think both guys are capable of contributing from the moment they're drafted too - and they fit needs.

AFL Mid-season Draft 2022: Massimo D’Ambrosio stars in Colgate Young Guns vs Vic Country under-18s​

Seven draft hopefuls caught the eye of recruiters as the mid-season intake approaches. Find out who impressed and every KFC SuperCoach score.

Chris Cavanagh

@chriscavanagh1

3 min read
May 17, 2022 - 11:01PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Western Jets defender Massimo D’Ambrosio has rocketed into the top group of prospects for next month’s AFL mid-season draft after producing a standout performance in a key lead-up game last weekend.

D’Ambrosio was the top-ranked player on the ground in the Colgate Young Guns’ second exhibition match against Vic Country’s under-18s on Sunday, shining under the watchful eyes of a raft of AFL recruiters at Princes Park.

A smooth-moving rebounding defender or wingman, D’Ambrosio showed off a polished kick, strong running skills and good composure as he logged 32 disposals, nine marks, seven rebound 50s, six inside 50s and 140 SuperCoach points against Vic Country.

The performance backed up a solid 24-disposal game in the Young Guns’ first match a week earlier and added to a strong start to the year with the Jets in the NAB League.

D’Ambrosio also played one VFL game for Richmond in Round 1 and did not look out of place with 15 disposals and four marks.

Recruiters rate D’Ambrosio’s “beautiful kick” highly, with his main knock being his size at only 178cm.

However, the likes of Western Bulldogs defender Caleb Daniel (170cm) and Richmond’s Jayden Short (178cm) have shown in recent years that undersized players with damaging kicks can still play an important role at AFL level.

Massimo D'Ambrosio is a silky small defender. Picture: Getty Images

Massimo D'Ambrosio is a silky small defender. Picture: Getty Images

Midfielder Patrick Dozzi also put himself into the mid-season draft mix with 34 disposals, 10 inside-50s and nine clearances for the Young Guns.

Recruiters believe Dozzi has improved with each game this year and is a chance for to find a spot on an AFL list on June 1.

Oskar Faulkhead was another shining light for the Young Guns and is expected to win a mid-season draft selection.

The hardworking Faulkhead finished with 31 disposals, five clearances and two goals, including a lovely snap out of congestion in the second quarter.

Mid-sized marking forward Hugo Hall-Kahan had another eye-catching game and shapes as one of the hottest mid-season draft prospects.

The 188cm forward had 13 disposals and kicked two first-half goals, before slotting the goal of the day from 40m out on the boundary in the third quarter only for it to be disallowed after the umpire because he had run too far.

Hall-Kahan has had his exemption to nominate for the mid-season draft approved by the AFL, after not nominating for last year’s drafts.

On a wing, Jamieson Ballantyne impressed with 24 disposals and a game-high three goals and will come under close consideration by AFL clubs.

Hailing from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels, Ballantyne’s hard running both ways and sizeable tank are a key feature of his game.

Ballantyne has featured in one VFL game for Footscray this year.

After dominating the Young Guns’ first match against Vic Metro a week earlier, Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Jai Culley missed the weekend’s match due to soreness from a series of knocks.

However, Culley remains very much in the sights of clubs with picks in the mid-season draft.

Fellow highly-rated prospect Max Ramsden had a quieter game but still had some nice moments.

YOUNG GUNS THAT CAUGHT THE EYES OF RECRUITERS IN GAME 2

Massimo D’Ambrosio – 32 disposals, 9 marks, 1 clearance, 6 inside-50s, 7 rebound 50s
Patrick Dozzi – 34 disposals, 4 marks, 9 clearances, 10 inside-50s, 1 goal
Oskar Faulkhead – 31 disposals, 6 marks, 5 clearances, 8 inside-50s, 2 goals
Jamieson Ballantyne – 24 disposals, 5 marks, 1 clearance, 4 inside-50s, 3 goals
Hugo Hall-Kahan – 13 disposals, 4 marks, 2 inside-50s, 2 goals
Tyler Norton – 24 disposals, 8 marks, 2 clearances, 4 rebound 50s
Charlie Molan – 22 disposals, 5 marks, 2 clearances, 3 inside-50s, 3 rebound 50s

SUPERCOACH RANKING POINTS – YOUNG GUNS v VIC COUNTRY U18s

YOUNG GUNS
140 – Massimo D’Ambrosio
137 – Patrick Dozzi
130 – Oskar Faulhead
124 – Charlie Molan
123 – Lachlan Carrigan
100 – Jamieson Ballantyne
93 – Tyler Norton
81 – Fletcher Hart
79 – Euriah Hollard
78 – Hugo Hall-Kahan
76 – Jed Rule
75 – Zavier Maher
75 – Samuel Grant
67 – Paddy Cross
55 – Ryan Eyers
53 – Tyreece Leiu
47 – Hamish Sinnott
46 – Jack Newitt
43 – Max Ramsden
41 – Jerome Lawrence
18 – Toby Murray
12 – Harvey Gallagher

VIC METRO U18s
132 – Jason Gillbee
131 – Jhye Clark
112 – Oliver Hollands
101 – Bailey Humphrey
99 – Aaron Cadman
91 – Hugh Bond
89 – Oscar Murdoch
80 – Jacob Konstanty
78 – Nick Collier
74 – Harley Reid
72 – Zane Duursma
66 – Cooper Vickery
63 – Henry Hustwaite
60 – Jonti Schuback
58 – Thomas Cappellari
53 – Harvey Howe
45 – Darcy Wilson
45 – Finn Emile-Brennan
43 – Max Dow
37 – Olivier Northam
35 – Max Knobel

25 – Felix Fogarty
19 – Will Parkhouse

With Miller Bergman's spot now open due to his season ending shoulder injury, what position do we desperately fill or do we go with best available here?

Wade Derksen
Jai Culley
Mitch O'Neil
Jye Menzie
Mutaz El Nour
Max Ramsden
Massimo D’Ambrossio
Ryan Eyers
Tyreece Leiu

COLGATE YOUNG GUNS GAME SCOUTING REPORT

10 MID-SEASON DRAFT PROSPECTS WHO CAUGHT THE EYES OF AFL RECRUITERS

Jai Culley (193cm midfielder, Dandenong Stingrays) – 22 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 7 inside-50s, 4 score assists, 4 goals, 197 ranking points

Max Ramsden (202cm ruckman, Sandringham Dragons) – 16 disposals, 3 marks, 13 hit-outs, 3 clearances, 2 goals, 103 ranking points

Harvey Gallagher (177cm forward, Bendigo Pioneers) – 15 disposals, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 score assist, 5 goals, 130 ranking points

Massimo D’Ambrossio (178cm defender, Western Jets) – 24 disposals, 2 marks, 1 clearance, 6 tackles, 9 rebound 50s, 159 ranking points

Tyler Norton (184cm defender, Murray Bushrangers) – 16 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 rebound 50, 70 ranking points

Oskar Faulkhead (179cm midfielder, Bendigo Pioneers) – 27 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 5 inside-50s, 100 ranking points

Lachlan Carrigan (191cm midfielder, Richmond VFL) – 20 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 rebound 50, 107 ranking points

Hugo Hall-Kahan (188cm forward, Sandringham Dragons) – 18 disposals, 7 marks, 1 clearance, 4 inside-50s, 43 ranking points

Tyreece Leiu (194cm midfielder, Eastern Ranges) – 14 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside-50s, 2 rebound 50s, 76 ranking points

Jamieson Ballantyne (183cm midfielder, GWV Rebels) – 18 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 2 inside-50s, 1 rebound 50, 86 ranking points
I know I have been out of the loop for a bit but gees I hope we get Faulkhead on name alone, although he does sound like an opposition player 😂

Snake always has a good eye for players. That review's definitely a plus for Massimo imo.

(Pity his interpersonal skills are so utensil eyed...)

BTW

Massimo D'Ambrosio = The Effect

and:

A close mate of mine watched the game and said Massimo was easily BOG. Showed a bit more dash on the weekend than he did in previous games. Just looks like a player who instinctively knows where the play will be and how to get involved. Short is probably a good comparison expect Massimo can't kick 55+m.

He also said Gilbee, Clark and Cadman were the standouts for County. Gilbee with his ball use,Clark and Cadman with their workrate.

Thanks for posting hoffseason gains. Love this sort of content. Considering the adversity he has faced after being cut by the jets and then by Collingwood VFL. It would be an amazing tale of persistence if he ends up becoming an AFL player. His energy and enthusiasm is something that comes across well in that interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back