Opinion 2022 Mid Season Trades Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Savage Kent

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey Folks,

Keen to see trade suggestions if the AFL had introduced mid season trading. For me trades which would standout for me would be:
-Goldstein to the cats for a late 2nd
-McGovern to dogs for a mid to late 1st
-Yeo to swans

I'd trade the mid-season trade period for the mid-season rookie draft which I think works perfectly.

Really never want to see it introduced. The thought of a player like Todd Goldstein playing his final game in Kanga colours then pulling on the hoops 7 days later really irks me. It destroys the art of list management and is the final nail in the coffin of loyalty in football, which needs protecting, not flogging as a dead corpse.

I'd trade the mid-season trade period for the mid-season rookie draft which I think works perfectly.

Really never want to see it introduced. The thought of a player like Todd Goldstein playing his final game in Kanga colours then pulling on the hoops 7 days later really irks me. It destroys the art of list management and is the final nail in the coffin of loyalty in football, which needs protecting, not flogging as a dead corpse.
Completely agree.

I also don't think many clubs would actually do any trades, its hard enough to get them to trade once a year.
Why would North trade Goldstein now and be a ruckman down for the rest of the season for a pick at the end of the season. It just doesnt make sense for the team losing a player.

Hey Folks,

Keen to see trade suggestions if the AFL had introduced mid season trading. For me trades which would standout for me would be:
-Yeo to swans

Jeremy McGovern can barely get onto the park anymore (wouldn't surprise me if pulls up stumps at the end of the season)

Completely agree.

I also don't think many clubs would actually do any trades, its hard enough to get them to trade once a year.
Why would North trade Goldstein now and be a ruckman down for the rest of the season for a pick at the end of the season. It just doesnt make sense for the team losing a player.
We’ve got CCJ and Xerri and we aren’t contending I’d say we’d be open to it

Hey Folks,

-Yeo to swans
Why would the cats trade for Goldstein? People keep bringing it up but I don't understand it

Hey Folks,

-Yeo to swans

Goldy had his chance with us 3 years ago. Not now and not trading with north for another old free agent after higgins.

Jeremy McGovern can barely get onto the park anymore (wouldn't surprise me if pulls up stumps at the end of the season)

McGovern has played 9 games this year. Yeo is the fanciful trade. He's played 2 games and has barely got on the park since 2019.

I want to know how this works salary wise. Say a team trades for McGovern at Rd 11 and he's on $800k, are they on the hook for $400k for the second half of the season? If North are at 95% of the cap and trade out Goldstein for a pick, then what? Having a list spot open for a mid season draft is one thing but having cap space available for a good player is another.

There’s a possibility Alex Sexton might have tested the market to see if a top 8 club wanted his services.

Contracted for another year, kicking goals in the VFL, but slipping down the pecking order to get back in the best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern has played 9 games this year. Yeo is the fanciful trade. He's played 2 games and has barely got on the park since 2019.

I want to know how this works salary wise. Say a team trades for McGovern at Rd 11 and he's on $800k, are they on the hook for $400k for the second half of the season? If North are at 95% of the cap and trade out Goldstein for a pick, then what? Having a list spot open for a mid season draft is one thing but having cap space available for a good player is another.

I suspect the club of origin will keep the money on their cap..and that would be a part of the trade deal... probably allowing bigger compensation. Its part that would have to be worked out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back