Position 2022 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

FL_8T13VEAMSkXE

I’ve got a feeling Petracca is going up another level this year.

Assuming "another level" would be an average of 120+ (which has already been mentioned as an expected average by other posters keen on Tracc).

Looking at history. How many SC players have gone up to another level in their 7th season/26th year? Not many I think.

Play the game with your head not your heart. For mine Petracca has less than a 5% chance of going up another level. He's a M5 or M6 in a good SC team and that's what he will stay in 2022.

Here's his averages (remembering that 2020 short quarters was particularly beneficial to his style).

At least he doesn't miss many games.

1643524188246.png

The only way he can really go up another level is if his disposal efficiency improves

Yeah, 51% kick efficiency and second in the league for clangers, two things CD will rub you royally the wrong way for.
Huge CP numbers beef up his scores but I actually do think he can go to another level.

And that's why I'm considering Lyons at M3, so consistent he'll be a POD all year. Just not sure about having him and Neale.

That could say 97 for Jack Macrae 😍
Comparing 2021 v 2019 (full game time) ......biggest factor against Lyons is his DE 65.8%

Scoring for Lyons was 115 v 110 .....so only a 5 point increase, by Lyons, with an average season from Neale

Ave of 6.4 tackles to Lyons in 2021 ....that was a 50% increase on 2019

Last edited:
Comparing 2021 v 2019 (full game time) ......biggest factor against Lyons is his DE 65.8%

Scoring for Lyons was 115 v 110 .....so only a 5 point drop, by Lyons, with an average season from Neale

Ave of 6.4 tackles to Lyons in 2021 ....that was a 50% increase on 2019
Always seems to tackle a lot when I watch him, really helps scoring with those +4's.

I'm not sure Neale's anticipated improvement effects him much, he might get the defensive role at CBA's so tackle numbers should still be good, and this new interpretation can only help players with high tackle counts. Rayner and Bailey probably won't stop him either.

Reckon he's as safe as a pick gets at that price.

Might have just talked myself into picking him lol.

Always seems to tackle a lot when I watch him, really helps scoring with those +4's.

I'm not sure Neale's anticipated improvement effects him much, he might get the defensive role at CBA's so tackle numbers should still be good, and this new interpretation can only help players with high tackle counts. Rayner and Bailey probably won't stop him either.

Reckon he's as safe as a pick gets at that pricce.

Might have just talked myself into picking him lol.
Probably 5 points over-priced ....I had Lyons in AFL Fantasy & was one of my best decisions .....2021 his Fantasy ave was higher than his SC ave .....so like Taranto IMO they're better Fantasy players due to that disposal DE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably 5 points over-priced ....I had Lyons in AFL Fantasy & was one of my best decisions .....2021 his Fantasy ave was higher than his SC ave .....so like Taranto IMO they're better Fantasy players due to that disposal DE
All the SP mids are over-priced at the start of the season though. I just like his consistency. Doesn't have stinkers, so others can't trade him in easily.

I haven't gone back through this thread so apologies if it's been mentioned already.

Tom Mitchell averaged 113 and 117 in 2020 and 2021 off the back of no pre-season. He broke his leg before 2019 and just made it back in time for round 1 of 2020. Then had a shoulder reco and missed all of the 2021 pre-season.

So far heading into season 2022 I believe he has completed every session, has looked unstoppable according to training watchers and appears to be in career best shape.

It remains to be seen how a new coach affects our midfield set up, but an early gut feel is that he can post a 120+ average this year much like his Brownlow season.

Depends which Tom Mitchell shows up in 2022. The one that repeatedly handballs backwards and gains very little metres throughout a match, or the one that started playing more positive footy in the back half of the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back