2022 NAB AFL Women's Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever Sophie.

Great person apparently but shown nothing to warrant another year of AFLW footy. Players with proven ability and more promising traits have gone in the meantime which were very strange decisions by the club.

I wish her well but if I see anymore timid efforts around the contest I'll fair dinkum spew up.

Wow, has Lord of the Wings comments got back there somehow - He'll be rapt to think he is that influencial - creating a monster, girls!

Next we'll hear how good Kate is 🤣 🤣
🤣

look i hope LOTW doesn't shoot the messenger, i'm just relaying it from the playing group

they're all big fans of Bigfooty and Sophie just wanted me to take a picture after training that i went to see this week

Sophie even said she's not mad at the mean things LOTW has said about her
she's very understanding !

took my granddaughter, all the girls were so nice and a few even stopped to talk to her
i'm very grateful to the whole playing group, made her day and made her old grandpa a very happy man

Last edited:
look i hope LOTW doesn't shoot the messenger, i'm just relaying it from the playing group

they're all big fans of Bigfooty and Sophie just wanted me to take a picture after training that i went to see this week

Sophie even said she's not mad at the mean things LOTW has said about her
she's very understanding !

took my granddaughter, all the girls were so nice and a few even stopped to talk to her
i'm very grateful to the whole playing group, made her day and made her old grandpa a very happy man
Is this for real SJ?

Some of it sounds legit but the bit about Bigfruity and Sophie knowing my thoughts sounds like complete BS

Is this for real SJ?

Some of it sounds legit but the bit about Bigfruity and Sophie knowing my thoughts sounds like complete BS

yes 90% legit, granddaughter is like a parrot, was joking with her while they were training, saying you (LOTW) say mean things about the girl with red hair

a few girls talked to her, when red hair Molan came over, granddaughter said "wings says mean things about you" 🤦‍♂️

Sophie laughed, didn't know what she was talking about (bloody 8 year old's) 🤦‍♂️
in response Sophie said to her "there's nothing anyone can say or do i'll still be here for you", which was nice for a child to hear (big smile on her face)

i said something along the lines of "Bigfooty forum, we're really supportive of our AFLW team blah blah"
a few said they knew about it, but whether they read it, can't be 100% sure

Molan was talking to a 8 year old, so nothing was taken in seriousness

Is this for real SJ?

Your reputation precedes you - not always a good thing ;)

yes 90% legit, granddaughter is like a parrot, was joking with her while they were training, saying you (LOTW) say mean things about the girl with red hair

a few girls talked to her, when red hair Molan came over, granddaughter said "wings says mean things about you" 🤦‍♂️

Sophie laughed, didn't know what she was talking about (bloody 8 year old's) 🤦‍♂️
in response Sophie said to her "there's nothing anyone can say or do i'll still be here for you", which was nice for a child to hear (big smile on her face)

i said something along the lines of "Bigfooty forum, we're really supportive of our AFLW team blah blah"

That's very kind and generous all round (and a bit of a crack-up) - I think there is a lesson in that for all of us, eh Wings 🤣

Last edited:
Whatever Sophie.

Great person apparently but shown nothing to warrant another year of AFLW footy. Players with proven ability and more promising traits have gone in the meantime which were very strange decisions by the club.

I wish her well but if I see anymore timid efforts around the contest I'll fair dinkum spew up.
Sounds like you betta get a bucket at the ready come game time

Good to hear the Granddaughter had a great time.

Last edited:

Final AFLW draft order revealed

Richmond: 38, 58, 60

Victoria
1. (2 overall) Hawthorn
2. (4) Essendon
3. (6) Hawthorn
4. (8) Essendon
5. (9) Hawthorn
6. (10) Hawthorn
7. (16) St Kilda
8. (17) Carlton
9. (18) Carlton
10. (21) Western Bulldogs
11. (22) Hawthorn
12. (25) Hawthorn
13. (26) Hawthorn
14. (28) North Melbourne
15. (29) Western Bulldogs
16. (30) Collingwood
17. (32) Essendon
18. (33) Geelong
19. (35) Essendon
20. (37) Western Bulldogs
21. (38) Richmond
22. (39) North Melbourne
23. (42) Geelong
24. (44) Melbourne
25. (46) Essendon
26. (48) Carlton
27. (49) Melbourne
28. (50) North Melbourne
29. (51) North Melbourne
30. (54) North Melbourne
31. (55) Geelong
32. (56) Collingwood
33. (58) Richmond
34. (60) Richmond
35. (62) Essendon
36. (63) St Kilda
37. (67) Carlton
38. (68) Western Bulldogs
39. (72) Melbourne
40. (73) Essendon
41. (74) St Kilda
42. (76) Collingwood
43. (79) Melbourne
44. (81) St Kilda

Last edited:

2022 AFLW Draft preview: Richmond

SHOWING glimpses in season 2022 without consistency, Richmond will be looking for prolonged results in the upcoming Season 7.
The Tigers definitely improved on their 2021 season, but there is still work to be done, and they have have been relatively stable over he off-season, with largely direct swaps both on and off the list.
They do not have a lot in the way of AFLW Draft picks, with the first being a second round selection, and the others coming early in the third round.

AFLW DRAFT PICKS: 38, 58, 60
VIC DRAFT POOL: 21, 33, 34

Richmond’s big fish of the off-season was in the form of ex-VFLW Tiger and Carlton hardnut Grace Egan.
The Blues inside midfielder will slot straight in for the outgoing Sarah Dargan who headed to Sydney, whilst Western Bulldogs forward Jemima Woods and exciting Cats forward Stephanie Williams both headed to Punt Road.
Dangerous forward Christina Bernardi was a surprise delisting, as was Sarah Sansonetti, with the defender quickly snapped up by the Pies.
Forward Tayla Stahl retired, with Akec Makur Chuot heading to the Hawks, while GWS defender Libby Graham and basketball cross-coder Saraid Taylor signed on.

FIRST PICK:
Like a lot of Victorian clubs in the AFLW Draft, it is hard to predict what the Tigers do with their first selection.
They might opt with tall midfielder Zara Hamilton or fellow Allies representative J’Noemi Anderson at the first pick, or look more local.
Talented winger Taylah Gatt could still be on the board, as could dynamic midfielder-forward Emily Shepherd, with a forward like Paige Scott another potential option.
It is difficult to know what will slip through to Richmond, but no doubt there will still be talent left over for the Tigers, even if their first pick is not as high as the previous years.

OTHER SELECTIONS:
The Tigers will be able to pick back-to-back from the Victorian pool to round out the draft options, and if they go mature-age forward, then Collingwood VFLW’s Nyakoat Dojiok and Williamstown’s Sophia McCarthy are options.
If they did look to a taller option, then Bendigo Pioneers’ Tegan Williams or Geelong Falcons’ Analea McKee could be a good shot, but stocking up depth across the ground is equally important.
High-upside players like twins Madison and Tayissa Gray could be good shots, or versatile options in Jamie-Lee Speakman and Amelie Smith.

SUMMARY:
Richmond heads into the AFLW Draft with a weaker draft hand than past years, but also having recruited players to the club.
Still quite a young club with some elite talents, the Tigers will be looking to add depth and fill holes that still left the side off the pace in 2022.
With plenty of young talent set to improve in Season 7 and support the elite stars in the side like Monique Conti and Katie Brennan, Richmond will continue on its upward trajectory, it just might take some time.

Last edited:

AFLW Draft: What does your club need?
CLUB lists for AFLW season seven are almost finalised, with the NAB AFLW Draft the last real opportunity to recruit talent.
Expansion and trade and sign periods have seen 75 players head to new clubs, and a further 61 recruited via expansion or priority.

Richmond
After some significant movement in recent years, Richmond has developed an impressive, even list that can now grow together.
In the past the midfield was Conti or bust, but some clever recruitment has found depth and talent around the ball.
Heading into the draft, Richmond will be looking to take the best available talent, while potentially skewing to add strength at each end of the ground.

our 1st pick = best available talent, whoever slips thru and is on top of the list

last 2 picks = i'd say one KPfwd, the other a utility

KPfwds available around the last 2 picks
Sophia McCarthy Williamstown VFLW 179cm KPFwd
Analea McKee GF 183cm KPFwd
Amelie Smith OC 176cm KPFwd

utilities available around the last 2 picks
Molly Walton GWV 171cm Utility
Mia Van Dyke GF 176cm Utility
Jamie-Lee Speakman GWV 162cm Utility
Elizabeth Dowling GF 171cm Utility
Nyakoat Dojiok Collingwood VFLW 175cm Utility
Cassidy Mailer MB 165cm Utility
Pia Staltari SD 168cm Utility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RICHMOND
Richmond came into the fold at pick 38, and in this version of the draft, jumped at the chance to pick up Dandenong Stingrays talent Emily Shepherd.
The midfielder-forward has plenty of class and potential, combined with a hint of aggression which perhaps suits the Richmond style.
Late in the piece, a pair of Geelong Falcons also land at Punt Road.
Having recently traded Ingrid Houtsma, Mia Van Dyke is a relatively like-for-like replacement out of the same region, while Grace Purcell is yet another midfielder in the mix.
While unavailable due to a long-term knee injury, the sister of Melbourne’s Olivia has talent which may be too much for clubs to overlook.

Pick for the future seeing she’s still rehabbing an ACL

Not too fussed with that seeing a lot of the girls taken tonight will have limited training and playing as they’ll still need to finish year twelve

Pick for the future seeing she’s still rehabbing an ACL

Not too fussed with that seeing a lot of the girls taken tonight will have limited training and playing as they’ll still need to finish year twelve

Charley loves her footy, she tackles hard, will need to up her tank but she was leading her Stingers B&F when she did her ACL - so that is what her Club thought of her with all that talent selected in that Club. It's a good get - but won't show up much for a year or two.....

Pick 38, Charley Ryan
09/02/2004 | 171cm
Midfielder/Forward
Our latest 1st round draft pick ever but in my view our best. Is a strong player with some class who kicks goals. Almost certain to be top 10 Vic pick if not for the ACL Not a red head either which is a bonus given our history.

Our latest 1st round draft pick ever but in my view our best. Is a strong player with some class who kicks goals. Almost certain to be top 10 Vic pick if not for the ACL Not a red head either which is a bonus given our history.
I'll send Charley some Clairol just for you....

Given your history with AFLW draft selections with ACL injuries I was preparing for you to be apoplectic hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back