Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Mate, we get along in person, you’re a good dude but what ya gonna do? Any other company, you ban them for this - I get that - but where are the alternatives? You gonna support Carlton?

Which leads me back to my original point.

If you fail to plan, then plan to fail.

I’m not on a high horse, I just don’t have high expections of them being able to organise anything more than possibly a root in a brothel.

We aren’t Appple, we aren’t BHP.

I just don’t see how this is much of an issue; your memberships are paid, your sister can be reimbursed by you (your accounts were linked presumedly by yourself, so not as if they’ve cut and pasted CC deets off a family member without permission)

So is it:
a) your fault?
b) fraud?
c) your carelessness about the expiry of a card (if it were a passport, you’d have updated it upon establishing plans for travel)
d) unrealistic expectations of a not-for- profit/put it down to LOL Norf Membership dept.

I’m going with your fault.

I know it’s not a money thing with you, the ‘Government’ pay you well, but if it’s not fraud (it kinda is) and it’s not your fault (it kinda is) - what is it?

After 15 years of not attending many games, it is and will always be a donation - the EV on football supporting is very low.
You're painting it out like I am making it some big issue. I simply listed yet another problem I have had with the membership department. Wasn't asking for sympathy or someone to come in and ride my ass about it. Just a vent.

I also have no idea wtf you're on about with the bolded.

Last edited:

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Same, considering I turned off auto renew 2 seasons ago 👍
You have to physically ring the membership department to de-activate auto-renewal. There is no function for doing that in Ticketmaster, there is only the option to select auto-renewal. I had to ring the membership department twelve months ago to de-activate auto-renewal, not because of any dissatisfaction, but because I felt that I wanted to select my membership options on a season by season basis as my needs changed. Otherwise, they will happily roll you over year after year on the same package which itself may not be the best or most cost effective package for you as time rolls on. Perhaps it's a bit like phone plans, they are always coming out with better packages and offers, and yes we'd be silly to lock ourselves into a phone plan year after year and not review it every couple of years. The footy memberships should perhaps be managed by fans much the same way :thumbsupv1:

Last edited:

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You have to physically ring the membership department to de-activate auto-renewal. There is no function for doing that in Ticketmaster, only the option to select auto-renewal. I had to ring the membership department twelve months ago to de-activate auto-renewal, not because of any dissatisfaction, but because I felt that I wanted to select my membership options on a season by season basis as my needs changed. Otherwise, they will happily roll you over year after year on the same package which itself may not be the best or most cost effective package for you as time rolls on. Perhaps it's a bit like phone plans, they are always coming out with better packages and offers, and yes we'd be silly to lock ourselves into a phone plan year after year and not review it every couple of years. The footy memberships should perhaps be managed by fans much the same way :thumbsupv1:
Yeah that's what I did, and for much the same reason.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You have to physically ring the membership department to de-activate auto-renewal. There is no function for doing that in Ticketmaster, only the option to select auto-renewal. I had to ring the membership department twelve months ago to de-activate auto-renewal, not because of any dissatisfaction, but because I felt that I wanted to select my membership options on a season by season basis as my needs changed. Otherwise, they will happily roll you over year after year on the same package which itself may not be the best or most cost effective package for you as time rolls on. Perhaps it's a bit like phone plans, they are always coming out with better packages and offers, and yes we'd be silly to lock ourselves into a phone plan year after year and not review it every couple of years. The footy memberships should perhaps be managed by fans much the same way :thumbsupv1:
I also prefer to renew later in the year once the fixture / membership packages are released. What I find really annoying though is I’ve never actually signed up for auto-renewal, but every year they turn it on, forcing me to ring them to turn it off. It’s very poor form by the club.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I also prefer to renew later in the year once the fixture / membership packages are released. What I find really annoying though is I’ve never actually signed up for auto-renewal, but every year they turn it on, forcing me to ring them to turn it off. It’s very poor form by the club.
I am not sure that they actually auto-renew after you have asked them to turn it off, but I will take your word for that and keep an eye out for that later next year.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My dad who’s an interstate member got an email offering giving him a $30 club voucher and options to change to a package which better suits his needs.

I pay $380 a year for a home match membership, have not seen us live in that time, no email and no roo shop voucher…
I'm a home member and got a voucher and or scarf. Maybe you're just missing the emails?
It's like those who said they didn't have access to a members card or scarf/hat this year. Call the club and see what's up.

So get organised and stop blaming an automatic process.

You know it’s coming, you know you need to pay, so put money in your account and/or be proactive with the club.

It’s not shonky, it’s poor planning by you and everyone else who is complaining.

if it happens every year, is it on the club or on you? It’s clearly not a surprise.

Last year I paid for my old mans membership along with mine. In Oct I got the auto renewal e-mail and like every year, told them not to auto-charge my card. Couple weeks later, $520 taken off my card. Turns out they charged me for my old mans again, and honored my request not to charge my membership. My old man needed to tell the club not to auto renew too.

It's not a big deal, but geez I wish as members we had a choice just to opt out 100%. They're going to get my cash every year no matter what, but I'd prefer to hold onto the hard earned until it's actually needed instead of forking out 6 months early.

We aren’t Appple, we aren’t BHP.

Yeah, they're not Apple or BHP, they're a member owned club. You and I are members, and therefore we have a say on the experience.

Member experience is critical, and every year it annoys the s**t out of me that they will auto-renew if I don't happen to respond to the email saying 'Don't auto renew me' in time.

I've only ever had good interactions with the membership department. They're all great and very responsive. But I, personally, would like them to have a simple option to 'do not auto renew' when I hand over my membership payment, thanks.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Oh no, really? I hope not as my mother has been in hospital and we haven't renewed her membership yet. I will give them a call on Monday. Thanks for the reply.

I’m on auto renew so only assuming it’s by the time of the first payment which was around the 22nd of October for me.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Oh no, really? I hope not as my mother has been in hospital and we haven't renewed her membership yet. I will give them a call on Monday. Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean 2021 membership?
It was end of October cut off.
I checked myself, because I was moving interstate in March, so I didn’t want the full membership I usually get when living in Melbs, but then we struggled a bit financially with the move & our memberships were not top of the to buy list.
I didn’t want to ruin the streak of years with a membership, so when I checked in July they said I had until the end of October.

My dad who’s an interstate member got an email offering giving him a $30 club voucher and options to change to a package which better suits his needs.

I pay $380 a year for a home match membership, have not seen us live in that time, no email and no roo shop voucher…

l think its about time to upgrade to a higher membership.. ;)

Do you mean 2021 membership?
It was end of October cut off.
I checked myself, because I was moving interstate in March, so I didn’t want the full membership I usually get when living in Melbs, but then we struggled a bit financially with the move & our memberships were not top of the to buy list.
I didn’t want to ruin the streak of years with a membership, so when I checked in July they said I had until the end of October.
No, I mean the 2022 memberships. I am also on the auto-renewal but mum isn’t. I think there is usually a cut-off date for people who want to retain their reserved seat for the following season. My mum is elderly and has been in hospital so I doubt that she will be able to attend the footy with me next year. However, I was thinking that my nephew could take over her seat (he would have to upgrade his general membership, though).

Back