Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure if this made it on here anywhere.
Last Sat night, the A-League rated 56k.
That's the lowest rating so far this season (that's on Ten's main channel).
That's obviously an abysmal figure for the main channel on prime time (there was a time when an A-League game would get that much on Fox alone).

But that's not the worst part of the story.
For the first time, Ten decided to simulcast the two games to specific local markets, and as it happens, the four teams involved were from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. Maximum bang for you buck...you would have thought.

Whatever descriptor we can use that is below "abysmal", that's really the word we're looking for.

For the 6th week in the row (at least, sort of lost count now), SBS main channel defeated Ten's main channel for the whole evening.

All of the top 20 on the multis rated higher than the A-League, and by a huge margin too, even the 20th show.

Even an U19 cricket game on Fox rated 50% higher.

And don't forget, the A-League is on Ten's main channel, and two games were simulcast into local markets.

Things really don't get any worse than that for a main FTA channel in prime time.

We're not actually sure that the ratings for the A-league game are for both matches shown.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
We're not actually sure that the ratings for the A-league game are for both matches shown.

I guess we don't have 100% confirmation of that.
But we know Ten was telecasting a game at the exact same time under the umbrella title of: A-League Match (or whatever it is they call it).
So it's not too far fetched to conclude that that's the 5 city metro rating for that time slot.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess we don't have 100% confirmation of that.
But we know Ten was telecasting a game at the exact same time under the umbrella title of: A-League Match (or whatever it is they call it).
So it's not too far fetched to conclude that that's the 5 city metro rating for that time slot.

all we know is that the code for the ratings given was for one specified match. No one seems to know the answer to the rest. Seven dont do it this way with multiple AFL games - the code is Sevens Saturday Football or similar and that encompasses all. The ratings for the soccer given was the city game.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Tennis kicked off:

Nine’s Australian Open won entertainment on Tuesday night as the network also celebrated another overall network share win.

The second night of the tennis tournament, in which Nick Kyrgios defeated British qualifier Liam Broady, aired to 635,000 metro viewers. The game also won key advertising demo, 16-39.

The Wookie do you have a rule of thumb indicator for the non capital city audiences ?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The Wookie do you have a rule of thumb indicator for the non capital city audiences ?

mate i can do everything.

AORatings_Day2_1.JPG

AORatings_Day2_3.JPG
AORatings_Day2_4.JPG

AORatings_Day2_2.JPG

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

The reason you can be almost certain is that 10's market share for Saturday night was just 3.6%, even well below previous weeks which hovered around 5%.
If it was only for 1 game and the other game got roughly the same (as you'd expect) then their market share would have been much greater than that.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The reason you can be almost certain is that 10's market share for Saturday night was just 3.6%, even well below previous weeks which hovered around 5%.
If it was only for 1 game and the other game got roughly the same (as you'd expect) then their market share would have been much greater than that.

we can be absolutely certain now, because last night rated under 50k.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Robbie Slater: Comparing the achievements of Sam Kerr and Tim Cahill just doesn’t work​

Interesting comments by Slater & imho all codes are looking to use anything to push their own barrow ...
'Let’s celebrate the fact that the Socceroos and the Matildas are both in action this week, but can we please not start comparing the records of the two teams.'

All sports have 'spinners' & they spin, for better or for worse.
Tennis is one sport that really does have a history of both men & women, as do most Olympic sports.
Sports fans know the difference but the general media do not, its all the same, too often.

Says Slater:
'Don’t get me wrong. Sam Kerr is a fantastic player and I’m delighted that she has now scored 54 times for Australia after her five goals in the Matildas’ 18-0 Asian Cup demolition of Indonesia.

However, let’s not proclaim Kerr as Australia’s all-time leading goalscorer.
Yes, she has scored more goals for the Matildas than any other player in history.

But Tim Cahill was a Socceroo, not a Matilda.

His 50 goals for the Socceroos is a record that shouldn’t be overshadowed by Kerr’s achievements.'

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
we can be absolutely certain now, because last night rated under 50k.

yikes

A lot of things have gone "wrong" to get that. delayed fixtures and big competition from Tennis and Cricket. When you have a million people already watching big event sport, there is not much share left for an postponed average a-league match

just ugly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Robbie Slater: Comparing the achievements of Sam Kerr and Tim Cahill just doesn’t work​

Interesting comments by Slater & imho all codes are looking to use anything to push their own barrow ...
'Let’s celebrate the fact that the Socceroos and the Matildas are both in action this week, but can we please not start comparing the records of the two teams.'

All sports have 'spinners' & they spin, for better or for worse.
Tennis is one sport that really does have a history of both men & women, as do most Olympic sports.
Sports fans know the difference but the general media do not, its all the same, too often.

Says Slater:
'Don’t get me wrong. Sam Kerr is a fantastic player and I’m delighted that she has now scored 54 times for Australia after her five goals in the Matildas’ 18-0 Asian Cup demolition of Indonesia.

However, let’s not proclaim Kerr as Australia’s all-time leading goalscorer.
Yes, she has scored more goals for the Matildas than any other player in history.

But Tim Cahill was a Socceroo, not a Matilda.

His 50 goals for the Socceroos is a record that shouldn’t be overshadowed by Kerr’s achievements.'

He's absolutely right of course, but I suspect there may be an element of the population that don't agree.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Apparently the NFL nearly got 100k 5 city on 7mate yesterday. I know it's the playoffs, but a lunchtime slot on a multi getting double the ratings of the A League on a main channel in prime time.....

Not sure the NFL v A-League has any validity other than a put down - we all know why. Great numbers for the NFL from an audience that search for their sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back