Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Big crowds for the NRL magic round last weekend.

Would it be something the AFL would ever consider doing? They've shown in round 1 that they can have no games overlap so it can be done.

Optus in Perth would be the obvious location, with the 2nd biggest AFL market, 2nd biggest stadium without having 4-5 games each weekend like Melbourne does.

I think the main downside is the length of AFL compared to NRL, looking at a 3 hour game compared to a 2 hour game. This makes a big difference if you're sitting in a stadium for all 3 games, 6 hours is doable, 9 hours not so much.

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Would it be something the AFL would ever consider doing? They've shown in round 1 that they can have no games overlap so it can be done.

Optus in Perth would be the obvious location, with the 2nd biggest AFL market, 2nd biggest stadium without having 4-5 games each weekend like Melbourne does.

I think the main downside is the length of AFL compared to NRL, looking at a 3 hour game compared to a 2 hour game. This makes a big difference if you're sitting in a stadium for all 3 games, 6 hours is doable, 9 hours not so much.

They werent that big.

The AFL dont need it, attendances are pretty good in general without needing this.

No way they play that 9 games in one weekend at one stadium. The complaints about potential turf damage would be huge.

It might work in Melbourne across two major stadiums in fairly close proximity. Perth might work if they play smaller drawing matches at the WACA, and larger ones at the nearby Optus Stadium, but WACA capacity isnt great for this. Sydney could work at Olympic Park and the Showgrounds. Queensland grounds too far apart, Adelaide hasnt got anything large enough near the city for a second viable stadium.

Pick a long weekend, like Queens Birthday

2 games Friday evening/night at stadium 1
3 games Saturday/Saturday Night at stadium 2
2 games Sunday afternoon/evening at stadium 1
2 games Monday at stadium 2

but as you note, match times are problematic.

Rob

Premium Platinum
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

What's the upside?

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
They werent that big.

The AFL dont need it, attendances are pretty good in general without needing this.

No way they play that 9 games in one weekend at one stadium. The complaints about potential turf damage would be huge.

It might work in Melbourne across two major stadiums in fairly close proximity. Perth might work if they play smaller drawing matches at the WACA, and larger ones at the nearby Optus Stadium, but WACA capacity isnt great for this. Sydney could work at Olympic Park and the Showgrounds. Queensland grounds too far apart, Adelaide hasnt got anything large enough near the city for a second viable stadium.

Pick a long weekend, like Queens Birthday

2 games Friday evening/night at stadium 1
3 games Saturday/Saturday Night at stadium 2
2 games Sunday afternoon/evening at stadium 1
2 games Monday at stadium 2

but as you note, match times are problematic.
I don't think it'd work for Melbourne for the same reason NRL magic weekend isn't in Sydney - half the games are there each week are there anyway. Wouldn't hold it in NSW or QLD due to lack of interest (look at the difference in crowds from Optus to the Gabba for matches between 2 Vic sides in the last 2 years for proof of this). Not a bad idea about using multiple grounds in Perth though.

What's the upside?
To name a few:
-Increased interest. NRL magic round gets the most interest/coverage of any regular season round. Creates another special event round like opening round or ANZAC round.
-Tourism. Lots of people travel interstate on a pilgrimage creating a real festival of footy atmosphere.
-More matches for interstate Vic fans. There are a lot of fans of Vic teams in WA/SA, who normally only get to watch their side once a year.

There are quite a few downsides that I've previously mentioned, so I guess the question is would it stack up financially weighing up the pros and cons.

pOleK

Professional Footy Watcher
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think it'd work for Melbourne for the same reason NRL magic weekend isn't in Sydney - half the games are there each week are there anyway. Wouldn't hold it in NSW or QLD due to lack of interest (look at the difference in crowds from Optus to the Gabba for matches between 2 Vic sides in the last 2 years for proof of this). Not a bad idea about using multiple grounds in Perth though.

To name a few:
-Increased interest. NRL magic round gets the most interest/coverage of any regular season round. Creates another special event round like opening round or ANZAC round.
-Tourism. Lots of people travel interstate on a pilgrimage creating a real festival of footy atmosphere.
-More matches for interstate Vic fans. There are a lot of fans of Vic teams in WA/SA, who normally only get to watch their side once a year.

There are quite a few downsides that I've previously mentioned, so I guess the question is would it stack up financially weighing up the pros and cons.
I've been able to go to the last two magic rounds, and lets just say its a great initiative that works great for League but wouldn't transition well to the AFL. There are only 8 80 minute matches for League compared to the 9 120 minute AFL matches for starters. Not to mention the crowd factor. League having the smaller crowds they have, have a chance to capitalise and hold 16 sets of fans in to probably the best League stadium there is to create a great carnival atmosphere. Still though, being from QLD I can tolerate League but even my mates who follow League more closely say by the Sunday you've watched enough League to last a lifetime.

weewilly

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Talking about piss poor ratings the RL got only 46,000 on GH 9 in Melbourne last night a Mickey Mouse cartoon would b get more than that!

9000 in Adelaide and 11,000 in Perth were a disaster as well.No wonder it rated only 18th on the night.

weewilly

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Oh dear! The A League GF with two Victorian teams could only pull 22,000 at a 2/3rds full AMMI Stadium and did not make the TOP 20 TV programs.
I wonder how long CH Ten and there bosses at CBS/ Paramount in the US will put up with this disaster on Saturday nights?

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Oh dear! The A League GF with two Victorian teams could only pull 22,000 at a 2/3rds full AMMI Stadium and did not make the TOP 20 TV programs.
I wonder how long CH Ten and there bosses at CBS/ Paramount in the US will put up with this disaster on Saturday nights?
That's an embarassing crowd figure for a grand final with 2 Vic teams. Even then I think the crowd number may have a bit of mayo on it, the upper tier on the non-TV side wasn't even open.

The A-league grand final was usually the one game I would watch each year from about 2012-2019, but I honestly didn't even know it was on this year. Seems to have completely disappeared from the Australian sporting scene.

I think it's a problem with the competition itself rather than the sport, as there seems to be no problem filling up the MCG or Accor Stadium when European teams come to play friendlies.

BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
Out of sight, out of mind

I must admit, i couldn't be bothered watching it. It just didn't interest me in the slightest. Western Utd is such a nothing club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad