Academy 2022 Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then to cap it off, here's an early guess at what the Allies squad could look like for the Champs, asterisks denote bottom agers (2023 eligible). Didn't put any of the 19 year olds in the starting 18 but would think most would play a major part, don't take note of the 'EMG' here, best 18 is what I put most thought into and then just put who I expect to make it below. Also not certain whether Davey Jnr will be NT or Metro eligible, he'll walk into either side really

View attachment 1383340
Add Lloyd Johnston to this team from the NT, undersized KPD that's had some respectable showings in the NAB League

Good list but I’d have one of your boys you haven’t mentioned there and close to the top 2 - Ethan Grace . Think he’s mid season draft eligible too as wasn’t listed by giants early enough so falls into the pool
Ethan Grace has had a great season so far.

In other news, Swans Academy went down to Brisbane earlier today. However they were missing Indhi Kirk, Josh Nicholls and Caleb May. Not sure of final score but they were expected to win this one, so not a great finish to the Academy series for them.

In other news, Swans Academy went down to Brisbane earlier today. However they were missing Indhi Kirk, Josh Nicholls and Caleb May. Not sure of final score but they were expected to win this one, so not a great finish to the Academy series for them.
Yep and the suns beat the giants comfortably

Apparently we played some kids from outside our academy squad (not sure how many), one who is ineligible for us, under academy rules, but is very highly regarded locally.

Final Score Lions 62 vs Swans 52. I've included link to Swans Team Sheet for those interested in the game day post. Don't have a Lions Team sheet.

With the Northern academies .... do you still have the right to match a bid inside 40?

Personally , while a northern club is out of finals ..I do not feel they should have to even draft a kid from the academy . It should be like RookieB and they just get listed till a club is producing strong results.
Well that is what the AFL has done with GC the last few years, gave direct access

With the Northern academies .... do you still have the right to match a bid inside 40?

Personally , while a northern club is out of finals ..I do not feel they should have to even draft a kid from the academy . It should be like RookieB and they just get listed till a club is producing strong results.
Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to the 2019 draft the AFL handed out their assistance and exemption package to the suns, it would run out this year meaning no longer eligible to pre-list, unless they (the AFL) change their mind.

The AFL Commission determined the Gold Coast SUNS will receive the following assistance package:

Priority Picks
The provision of draft picks for the next 3 years (reviewable annually), including the first pick in the 2019 AFL Draft.

• Pick #1 and first pick of the second round (currently pick #20) in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid-first round pick (currently pick #11) in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • First pick of the second round (currently pick #19) in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.
Academy Access
The Gold Coast SUNS will also receive expanded academy player access for 3 years including:

• Provision of the Darwin region as an academy zone.
  • Ability to pre-sign Gold Coast SUNS academy players (including those from Darwin) without bidding.
  • Increased rookie list, up to 10 players
I think the sentence under Priority Picks holds an important message.....Reviewable Annually.

NSW/ACT Academy def SA Academy U18: 57- 33

Goals; Felix Rogers (2003, Swans) 3, Harvey Thomas (2005, GWS), Luke Fellows (2003, GWS), Ethan Grace (2003, GWS), Liam Puncher (2004, Swans), Angus Curry (2004, GWS)
Coaches Bests; Harry Rowston (2004, GWS), Toby Alker (2003, Swans), William Edwards (2004, Swans), Luke Fellows (2003, GWS), Felix Rogers (2003, Swans), Dayne Posthuma (2004, GWS), Harvey Thomas (2005, GWS)

Only 7 players invited to the Draft combine from Northern clubs

New South Wales
Jason Gillbee (Bendigo Pioneers)
Nick Madden (GWS Academy)
Harry Rowston (GWS Academy)
Northern Territory
Lloyd Johnston (NT Thunder)
Anthony Munkara (NT/West Adelaide)
Queensland
Shadeau Brain (Brisbane Academy)
Jaspa Fletcher (Brisbane Academy

New South Wales
Northern Territory
Queensland
I expect the next 3 years should be better from the two QLD academies.

New South Wales
Northern Territory
Queensland
Lloyd Johnston played for Suns the last two VFL games. After some adjustment, he looked good later in the second game. Fast, skilful, reads the game well. I suspect Suns will draft him. He could be the only one this year.

Last edited:
Could he have gone to Gold Coast as well? How does the NT zone work with NGAs vs Northern Academies? Northern academies get whoever doesn't qualify for NGA, or do the kids get a choice, or..?
GC have Darwin which was left out of the initial NGA-zoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back