Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
New thread for a new Year. No team lists up on the respective clubs websites that I can spot but no doubt it will be updated as we go.

:gws::sydney::brisbane::goldcoast:

Academy Websites:

AND
Northern Territory Thunder Academy NT Thunder Academy

Games are now kicking off between the respective academies. U16 & U17 youtube links will be posted in their respective threads.

NAB League games also covered. Use the threadmarks to search for results

Under 19

Last edited:
New thread for a new Year. No team lists up on the respective clubs websites that I can spot but no doubt it will be updated as we go.

:gws::sydney::brisbane::goldcoast:

Academy Websites:

Games are now kicking off between the respective academies. U16 & U17 youtube links will be posted in their respective threads.

Under 19

Lions have never published academy lists on the website. They used to publish them on the academy fb page, but recently changed the security settings for the page, so I can’t see diddly squat anymore.

Lions have never published academy lists on the website. They used to publish them on the academy fb page, but recently changed the security settings for the page, so I can’t see diddly squat anymore.
Dare we hope for a team player list before a game then?:smilev1:

U19 GWS vs Sydney Swans Results
U19 Game 1 Giants (Charcoal) d Swans (Red) 79-71.

Giants jumped out to a big lead early, which Swans brought back to even terms; then Giants ground out another big lead by early 4th quarter, which Swans again reduced but couldn't erase.

I look forward to reading the thoughts of the draft watchers as to how they viewed the individual performances. I didn't watch all of the game, but saw some quite good glimpses from time to time.

Last edited:

Giants jumped out to a big lead early, which Swans brought back to even terms; then Giants ground out another big lead by early 4th quarter, which Swans again reduced but couldn't erase.

I look forward to reading the thoughts of the draft watchers as to how they viewed the individual performances. I didn't watch all of the game, but saw some quite good glimpses from time to time.
Fallen just short two games in a row. The fourth quarter hates us today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borghouts and Smith looked very good in the u17s game for the Giants

Gonna watch Game 3 through the week, I'd be surprised if Lawrence, Curry and Madden weren't three of our bests, going by the score it looks like Posthuma may have been less influential than he had been in last years games unfortunately, but another I'm keen to see again

13MAR22: Lions v Suns 3 matches video
Suns v Lions games Academy games played this weekend.

Under 18 yr Girls: Start 00:00 (team lists on screen) Suns def Lions 52-12

Under 17 yr Boys Start: 1:55mins (team lists on screen) Suns def Lions 110 -44

Under 18 yr Boys: Start 4:19mins (teams list on screen) Suns def Lions 103- 28

thoughts on the u17 game in the pre-season between GWS and Sydney Academies: (i think all are available for 2023 draft?)

GWS seem to have the better top end talent, whereas Sydney have a better structure and possibly better coached?

i have liked the look of #7 Nathan Fokes for GWS Academy(a few good plays early, beautiful sidestep and long pass to forward, kicked a lovely goal and was tough in the contest), #1 Harvey Thomas has also looked good for GWS Academy(even though he is small and slightly framed, won a few contests inside), i think its #30 Matthew Brown (i believe it was #30 hard to tell at times, but he intercepted a couple of inside 50's and used it cleanly) who has been good on CHB for GWS Academy as well

i also liked the look of #8 James Egan for GWS (used it well a few times, hit a forward, i think he also kicked a goal), #3 Daniel Gauci of GWS(inside mid won a few clearances), #13 Jack Rhodes for GWS(linking well as a general forward/mid), #21 Max Rider for Sydney(playing well as a general forw/mid) and #15 James Lugsdin for Sydney(winning a few clearances on the inside and providing a bit of run at times)

i think they are worth keeping an eye on for the next 18 months.

thoughts on the u19 game and Sydney have dominated 46-0, 64-14 1/2 time.

players that seem like players to watch for me are:
#27 Sydney - Angus Anderson - seems to be a dominant force for Sydney in the midfield, has already had 2-3 great plays
#31 Sydney - Liam Puncher - seems a decent KPF so far
#3 Sydney - Felix Rogers - tough small forward with some tricks up his sleeve
#22 Sydney - Bililign Robertson - looks like a solid general forward, makes good decisions
#13 Sydney - Toby Alker - has played well in mid and wing so far
#4 GWS - Jay Summers - has been one of the better winger/flanker so far
#40 GWS - Nick Madden - has taken some nice strong contested marks and strong in the ruck, is he related to the other Maddens?

GCS V Bris u17 Game (110-44), i thought 5 players from each team stood out from the rest, none i would put in my top 30 for 2023 at this stage.

GCS:
#1 Harry Sullivan - small forw/mid
#8 Ky Nicholls - inside mid, clearance player
#14 Jack Atkins - mid
#19 Maison Staas - tallish flanker
#20 Ryder Forbes - played FF with sticky hands and accurate kick, but probably medium height

Bris:
#11 Zack Bidgood - mid
#14 Jake Fazldeen - inside/outside mid
#16 Tyler Whiteley - mid
#19 Tristen Meekin - mid
#24 Mathew Bowart - KPD interceptor

the 2 standouts were probably Ky Nicholls and Ryder Forbes for GCS.

GCS V Bris u19 Game (103-28), some familiar names like Ned Stevens, Will Bella and Jye Lockett, along with Jaspa Fletcher playing wing for a losing team and unfortunately even though he was named Levi Fyffe didnt get to run out on the field.

the players who stood out to me were:
#33 Will Bella - GCS - 19 yr old, playing his overage year and still a strongly built KPF and played a strong game once again
#29 Jed Foggo - GCS - played midfield and forward, quality talent that i had not seen or heard of before, but was impressive
#27 Jye Lockett - GCS - 19 year old?, he was a dangerous med/tall forward
#18 Jaspa Fletcher - Bris - didnt get a heap of the ball with his inside mids getting beaten, but was effective when he did get the ball, one of few Bris highlights
#32 Jed Walter - GCS - athletic tall forward, exciting talent, i can see why he got invite to the Australian Squad, the Forward line of Bella, Lockett, Walter is a possible Allies forward line, Ned Stevens also played, but i thought he was ok whereas the other 3 showed something special at times.
#8 William Graham - GCS - quick intense wing/mid, was involved in some smooth and competitive plays, someone to look out for

mentions: #31 Jackson Mills and #6 Jack Manly looked ok for Brisbane and #4 Cody Harrington looked ok for GCS

My thoughts on the games from the pre-season, i watched the u17s and u19's i didnt bother with the u16's as i think its too early in their development.

Lions v GWS U18/GC vs Swans U18/GC vs Swans U17
Three games today.

Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants U18 boys - 9.45am AEST
Gold Coast Suns vs Sydney Swans U18 Boys - 12.15pm AEST
Gold Coast Suns vs Sydney Swans U17 Boys - 2.45pm AEST Burpengary, Brisbane

Swans teamsheets can be found Here
Suns teamsheets can be found Here

Last edited:
Three games today.

Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants U18 boys - 9.45am AEST
Gold Coast Suns vs Sydney Swans U18 Boys - 12.15pm AEST
Gold Coast Suns vs Sydney Swans U17 Boys - 2.45pm AEST Burpengary, Brisbane

Swans teamsheets can be found Here
Suns teamsheets can be found Here

Jaspa Fletcher got involved in a couple pieces of play early, winning a tough ball handing it off then getting it again a few seconds later to snap the first goal of the game, good to see him get a tough ball then get up for a play soon after.

Madden looks like a decent player for GWS A as well.

Manly for Brisbane has also had a good game, clean disposal so far.

Summers kicking a couple including the match winning goal on the siren for GWS A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back