Mega Thread 2022/23 Off-Season Sports Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just moved house and am internetless atm so I have the misfortune of relying on FTA for the first time in years. Last night's BBL commentators were irritating the hell out of me. Complete clownshow making the broadcast all about them.
you didn’t miss much on the fox coverage tbh, both channels had the D crew on

If moral judgement was a prerequisite for being an international cricketer Shane Warne wouldn’t have taken too many wickets.
Warne never captained Australia for a reason.

On purely cricketing criteria, Warne should have been test captain at some stage.

But while you get into the Test team based on cricket criteria, there is extra criteria for being captain. Always has been that way. For instance, its why post-Packer Kim Hughes was a test captain but someone like Rod Marsh never was.

Warne never captained Australia for a reason.

On purely cricketing criteria, Warne should have been test captain at some stage.

But while you get into the Test team based on cricket criteria, there is extra criteria for being captain. Always has been that way. For instance, its why post-Packer Kim Hughes was a test captain but someone like Rod Marsh never was.

You're right about a captain needing leadership etc but are you suggesting Marsh was a better player than Hughes?

You're right about a captain needing leadership etc but are you suggesting Marsh was a better player than Hughes?
No. The best player doesn't necessarily become the captain.
But Marsh was a very senior player in the early 80s test team and had success captaining WA. At the time many thought it was weird that Marsh was captaining WA but yet it was Hughes who, sometimes, captained Australia.

Admittedly that wouldn't be considered weird today, if only because Marsh and Hughes would hardly be playing for WA if they were still around. But back then national team players still played quite a bit of state cricket.

Really hope the BBL can find it's groove again, it's a really good void filler in the AFL off season

The game still seems quite a good level (albeit it does seem to be a bit of Dads Army creeping in) but the TV coverage can make or break it. And it's not only the commentary, it's the graphics, the camera work, the sound quality, the relevance and timing of information shown etc. They're getting all of that wrong this year imo whereas in the channel 10 days and first year of 7, it was an absolute strength, especially in comparison to the channel 9 test coverage.

I agree that it's a good filler for the off season and unlike others, I have no problem with it starting in Dec. I love coming home from work in Summer and actually having something on the tv that I can watch!

Agree with Scham, the quality of cricket is good, the production makes it difficult to watch. They need to sort it out.

Poirier vs Oliveira this weekend is what the people want...
1639117788861.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hear to say I love being a Bulls fan. We're looking seriously good so far. LaVine doing LaVine sh*t, Lonzo looks to be a great pick-up, DeRozan doing good sh*t, Caruso has been fantastic off the bench. 3-0 for the first time in 5 years.
I am a Orlando magic fan. Massive fan of Shaq and Horace Grant when they made the NBA finals in 1995.

Saying that I usually watch when an Aussie is playing.

Saying that I am currently watching an A-league game between Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory

The kid deserves an F1 seat. More so than many on the grid.

Yep, but money talks. That is the only reason Zhou got a seat for next year and Oscar didn't. We just have to hope Alonso retires next year and Oscar gets the Alpine seat for 2023 which is what everyone is banking on.

Should be driving F1 4 Mclaren in 22 or at least 23.
Ricciardo is playing the clown too much. Fine when u can get the times on the board not when ur baby teammate shows u up for a pretender.

He should be in the Alpine as he is an Alpine academy driver. I don't know where you pulled McLaren from especially when you have teams like Williams and Aston Martin that could use him more than McLaren. Hell, I'd throw Alpha Tauri in there too if Tsunoda hadn't improved so much in the 2nd half of the season.

As for Ricciardo, he is being shown up because it is his first season in the McLaren which Lando has been in for years. He has had to come to grips with and adapt to a whole new car that is not set up to his strengths. That is not to mention that Daniel has actually outscored Lando since the mid-season break despite having a DNF, a collision with Bottas, and that fuel issue where the computer glitched and said there was way less than there was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back