Mega Thread 2022/23 Off-Season Sports Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Having not grown up an Aussie, I find it interesting the weight that is placed on Gerard Whateleys opinions, especially in cricket. Why is this?
Is almost like every time a cricket incident happens, we have to all wait with bated breath for the great one to pass his judgment on the issue of the day.
was he an ex-cricket player for Australia himself back in the day or what?
I liked the way Langer defended Paine the other day.
“Not a single person standing here today hasn’t made a mistake in their lives”
Apart from Whateley of course!

Having not grown up an Aussie, I find it interesting the weight that is placed on Gerard Whateleys opinions, especially in cricket. Why is this?
Is almost like every time a cricket incident happens, we have to all wait with bated breath for the great one to pass his judgment on the issue of the day.
was he an ex-cricket player for Australia himself back in the day or what?
You should have heard him after we nabbed Lyon.

The amount of sanctimonious crap that spewed from his mouth was limitless.

I didn't. Of course Langer is correct, but he is in that position almost specifically to set a behavioural standard. The same comment could have been made for Smith. They are extremely well paid, and they are letting us down.

Making a mistake is drinking too much and having a spew when you should be training…or barracking for WEST COAST.
Its not sending dick pics unsolicited.

it shows a lack of moral judgement.
For mine, the moral judgement is the cheating, not the dick pics. The conversation was clearly sexual in nature and I'm pretty sure people sexting dont send ask for permission to send nudes.

I also don't like the coach putting a qualifier on a disciplinary action meted out by the powers that be. Those kind of discussions should be kept in house and supported publicly. Instead Langer has implied that Payne is being hard done by copping a punishment for something everyone might do.

Hmm is Tim Paine an Australian national team cricketer because of his superior moral judgement than the rest of us?
I thought it was just simply that he’s one of the best cricket players in the country that’s all.
People expecting superior moral values from professional sports people must be constantly disappointed. Their morals are no better than any random member of the public.
If moral judgement was a prerequisite for being an international cricketer Shane Warne wouldn’t have taken too many wickets.
As another, probably better example as he’s also in a leadership role - if Damian Hardwick leads the tigers to another flag next year you think any of their fans will care that he dumped his wife for a younger club staff member? No chance

I didn't. Of course Langer is correct, but he is in that position almost specifically to set a behavioural standard. The same comment could have been made for Smith. They are extremely well paid, and they are letting us down.
While I agree, I find it interesting that they cheated to make the ball behave a certain way.
We had three fast bowlers who had to hold the ball a certain way to make it reverse swing .
One is the new captain.
Did Cummins really believe it was just luck the ball was marked perfectly for reverse swing?

Last edited:
Hmm is Tim Paine an Australian national team cricketer because of his superior moral judgement than the rest of us?
I thought it was just simply that he’s one of the best cricket players in the country that’s all.
People expecting superior moral values from professional sports people must be constantly disappointed. Their morals are no better than any random member of the public.
If moral judgement was a prerequisite for being an international cricketer Shane Warne wouldn’t have taken too many wickets.
As another, probably better example as he’s also in a leadership role - if Damian Hardwick leads the tigers to another flag next year you think any of their fans will care that he dumped his wife for a younger club staff member? No chance
He resigned from the captaincy acknowledging a failing in leadership.

He got dumped from the team because he's not the best player in his position. He's still an international cricketer. Warne was never the Australian captain.

Fyfe is our captain and Brayshaw and Serong will most likely be our next options. Hogan and McCarthy never would have been. If you seriously don't think moral judgement is a pre-requisite for leadership why is it continually highlighted?

Last edited:
The Paine situation is one of visuals, the incident happened in 2017. What I don't understand is how and why that stuff is relevant now? Who dredged this up?

Morals and leadership go hand in hand. If Paine wasn't the captain he'd probably still be in the Test team. I'd also imagine his mental health is not great right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morals and leadership go hand in hand. If Paine wasn't the captain he'd probably still be in the Test team. I'd also imagine his mental health is not great right now.
He resigned the captaincy and the selectors have not included him in the test squad. He is not convincingly a member of the test team apart from a reluctance to change. If he was not the incumbent would he be chosen?

Out of the hand I thought it was a waste of a delivery... Starc gets a little late swing and Burns was all over himself, falling over like an U14 facing extreme pace for the first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back