2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

In 5 year times, we have Serong, Brayshaw, Johnson and Erasmus in the middle.

Our team is just going to grow into itself.

Seriously, the premiership window is here for the next 7-10 years.
Will Brodie will only be 28 in 5 years time hopefully after spending multiple Christmas's with the Brayshaw family.. Plus I think we'll have the wings sorted too with O'driscoll and my hope Heath Chapman roaming as quick athletic tall wings. Perhaps with Walker and if he can develop then Henry too also spending time there. Logue, Amiss, Freddy, Treacy and Western forward gives us some great speed and marking as a basis of our future forward line. My hope is that Fyfe does a Mundy and keeps playing for longer with a forward line move too.

I think our 2020 draft of Chapman, O'driscoll, Western, Walker and Treacy will go down as one of best ever and a turning point for the club. Pretty remarkable considering the talent level in that draft does not look like there will be alot of quality long term players develp of that draft group. Even more remarkable considering the picks we took to the draft and our first pick slipped down as we owed pints for the Henry bid. Western's return game was pretty remarkable for such a young player in my eyes. Not just for the goals but for his skills and touch shown.

Loved how Liam looked like he was enjoying himself out there.
It's only 1 game, though it looked like something clicked in his head and he had dropped a heap of perceived pressure and he was just playing footy with his mates.
🙏
He really could be the x factor in our beautiful team. No pressure Liam 🤣🤣
Was at the game and for the first time Liam looked like a top ten pick and his attack on the ball at speed was excellent , he was tagged and scragded in the second half ( i think it was number 14 for east pth) Together with Western we have the small`s covered going forward
Sturt is trying to lift his pressure game and till he gets his confidence up further given he has a slight frame a stint on the wing would help

Did you watch him play PSA. Wasn’t awful at PSA.
It also wasn't awful in preseason match sims. Brayshaw was the same. His kicking looked fine even early in his career when simply kicking a ball with no pressure. He just took a bit of time to adjust to the pressure in games playing against bigger bodies at the start of his career. Erasmus looks to have similar work ethic to a young Brayshaw. I expect his kicking to come on soon enough so playing against state league players for a while could actually help him progress faster than if we needed him at afl level regularly early in his career.

Game summary
That’s really pleasing to read & I think ‘Romance’ Valentine is working nicely towards a development job at Fremantle.

I still don’t think Worner was ‘axed’, with his preferred position taken by Hughes & Henry who are closer to AFL than he is, with Worner continuing his development on the wing in the 2’s. I think he’s developing well, with the club happy with what he’s doing.

It still amazes me that this Peel player was never selected for AFL level.
I would have thought Fremantle would have at least rookied him or given him a chance preseason to prove himself.
Always impresses me when I see him performing for Peel on tele.

AFL is full of these stories, and it's often the single role inside midfielders who do well in state footy, but are looked over for the big league.
They're almost always limited in role (eg. can only play inside), don't have a clear attribute outside of ball winning / footy smarts and are lacking the mix of endurance / speed to keep up with AFL.

There's even plenty of them on AFL lists, but typically they showed some sort of standout attribute in their junior years and just didn't make it, and once that becomes clear they're not going to improve that's the end of their AFL story.
See: Blakely.

Doesn't mean they aren't very good footballers, like Bell.

AFL is full of these stories, and it's often the single role inside midfielders who do well in state footy, but are looked over for the big league.
They're almost always limited in role (eg. can only play inside), don't have a clear attribute outside of ball winning / footy smarts and are lacking the mix of endurance / speed to keep up with AFL.

There's even plenty of them on AFL lists, but typically they showed some sort of standout attribute in their junior years and just didn't make it, and once that becomes clear they're not going to improve that's the end of their AFL story.
See: Blakely.

Doesn't mean they aren't very good footballers, like Bell.
Great WAFL footy player, really underrated, but would have been eaten alive at AFL level. Short and slow.

Great WAFL footy player, really underrated, but would have been eaten alive at AFL level. Short and slow.
Fair enough gents. Just seems like a real goes for Peel. But I understand where you are coning from.
Maybe a bit like Blakely! Good but not quite there?

Fair enough gents. Just seems like a real goes for Peel. But I understand where you are coning from.
Maybe a bit like Blakely! Good but not quite there?
Bell has been fantastic for Peel, but I'd personally put Blakely a level above him in terms of what they offer at AFL level.

Blakely has limitations, but it's his disposal and defensive weaknesses that have seen him struggle at AFL level.
Athletically he's 'good enough' and I'm a little surprised he hasn't even got near the team at all this year.

Bell has been fantastic for Peel, but I'd personally put Blakely a level above him in terms of what they offer at AFL level.

Blakely has limitations, but it's his disposal and defensive weaknesses that have seen him struggle at AFL level.
Athletically he's 'good enough' and I'm a little surprised he hasn't even got near the team at all this year.
I guess the question is.. who would he take a spot from. Most that would would be in the gun are much younger and the future of the club, and from what I see more versatile than Connor.

Just watching a few Peel games 10 minutes a time this season he's looking at little half out the door effort wise. If he misses the drop at a stoppage he ain't running the other way with the enthusiasm of a man thinking that might be the difference in pushing a new deal over the line.

Just watching a few Peel games 10 minutes a time this season he's looking at little half out the door effort wise. If he misses the drop at a stoppage he ain't running the other way with the enthusiasm of a man thinking that might be the difference in pushing a new deal over the line.
Not surprising either, if it wasn't for his contract he'd already be out the door.

The recruitment of Erasmus was pretty much the final nail in an already solidly closed casket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising either, if it wasn't for his contract he'd already be out the door.

The recruitment of Erasmus was pretty much the final nail in an already solidly closed casket.
To me CB has led a charmed life to still be on the list.
I think that we have recruited better than was thought we may have. We have recruited players that can play at a high level for long periods and still growing into their games.

Blakey was / is talented enough to be more than a solid role player at AFL level, let alone out of the side then delisted. I think his issue is the sacred fire just doesn't burn. You gotta love being a professional footy player.
I think he hurt his career when he left training to go surfing.
Lost the trust of the club and players. Also the young brigade want success and will work their butts off to get it.
Not sure Connor has that drive any more. If he had it at all.

Will Brodie will only be 28 in 5 years time hopefully after spending multiple Christmas's with the Brayshaw family.. Plus I think we'll have the wings sorted too with O'driscoll and my hope Heath Chapman roaming as quick athletic tall wings. Perhaps with Walker and if he can develop then Henry too also spending time there. Logue, Amiss, Freddy, Treacy and Western forward gives us some great speed and marking as a basis of our future forward line. My hope is that Fyfe does a Mundy and keeps playing for longer with a forward line move too.

I think our 2020 draft of Chapman, O'driscoll, Western, Walker and Treacy will go down as one of best ever and a turning point for the club. Pretty remarkable considering the talent level in that draft does not look like there will be alot of quality long term players develp of that draft group. Even more remarkable considering the picks we took to the draft and our first pick slipped down as we owed pints for the Henry bid. Western's return game was pretty remarkable for such a young player in my eyes. Not just for the goals but for his skills and touch shown.
I'm starting to change our tune on how good our recruiters are. They can't be that much better than everyone else that all their picks are diamonds in the rough. I suspect that the best thing we have at the club is player development, coaching and drive of the playing group. Seeing our average recruits shine this year is testament to this and the hard work put in by all.

Don't get me wrong, our recruiters have been fantastic, I just think the turnaround is deeper than just the names read out on draft day.

I'm starting to change our tune on how good our recruiters are. They can't be that much better than everyone else that all their picks are diamonds in the rough. I suspect that the best thing we have at the club is player development, coaching and drive of the playing group. Seeing our average recruits shine this year is testament to this and the hard work put in by all.

Don't get me wrong, our recruiters have been fantastic, I just think the turnaround is deeper than just the names read out on draft day.
Maybe more to recruiting than just a few kids who can play footy. I think recruiters do a heap of work seeing how dedicated the young fellas are. How much they are prepared to sacrifice for football success.
The recruiters look more inside the young ones minds now.
When you look at who is driving the bus right now, look no further than Brayshaw, Serong and Darcy for starters. These are the boys who, during Covid, were getting their bus driver licences.
Previously we had individual players wanting to drive, but had a lot of passengers. prepared to sit down back and let the likes of Pav , Mundy , Fyfe etc drive.
I am hoping that at long last we have developed into a matured and growing club.

I think he hurt his career when he left training to go surfing.
Lost the trust of the club and players. Also the young brigade want success and will work their butts off to get it.
Not sure Connor has that drive any more. If he had it at all.

I think that’s rubbish, he has huge drive to better himself. Saw him doing repeat 400’s over and over again, with an athletics coach in the off-season. He’s doing everything he can to stay on the list. His tank has improved immensely and you can see it in the wafl games, he’s getting big numbers. It’s just a matter of disposal with the ball that lets him down. A trait hard to train. It won’t be a lack of trying that sees him delisted.

I think that’s rubbish, he has huge drive to better himself. Saw him doing repeat 400’s over and over again, with an athletics coach in the off-season. He’s doing everything he can to stay on the list. His tank has improved immensely and you can see it in the wafl games, he’s getting big numbers. It’s just a matter of disposal with the ball that lets him down. A trait hard to train. It won’t be a lack of trying that sees him delisted.
I will take your points Ric, but I stick to mine, even though it is from afar.

I remember an early game for Blakely and he 20+ handballs and 30+ pos. 10+ Cp. I was thinking this guy is a gun.
I think with Connor on field it’s all in his head. Play to your strengths

I will take your points Ric, but I stick to mine, even though it is from afar.

If you saw him training at Len Shearer in the off-season, would have been close to 40 degrees, pumping out 400m’s on repeat. I lost count of the laps. He’s committed. I appreciate it’s a snapshot, and I only caught a couple of sessions. But it left me no doubt, he trains his heart out. Does he do it day in and day out for years. Who knows. But it made me appreciate that even fringe players are at a level well beyond good / great amateurs.

Also why am I Ric? Who’s this?

If you saw him training at Len Shearer in the off-season, would have been close to 40 degrees, pumping out 400m’s on repeat. I lost count of the laps. He’s committed. I appreciate it’s a snapshot, and I only caught a couple of sessions. But it left me no doubt, he trains his heart out. Does he do it day in and day out for years. Who knows. But it made me appreciate that even fringe players are at a level well beyond good / great amateurs.

Also why am I Ric? Who’s this?
I am only hoping I had you right. A big time Bulldog fan and help run a Bulldog memorabillia FB page.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back