2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt was mostly playing as the deepest forward on the weekend, holding back in the goal square until the ball was close to 50.
Peel was starved of forward entries so he was never going to get a lot of it.
On the plus side he did very well from limited opportunities to kick 3 goals - on the negative side his bloke ran off him and got around 25 possessions which I’m guessing is why he hasn’t been called up as yet. Maybe not quite at required fitness / intensity level for AFL, nothing to do with skill and ability which he has in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sturt was mostly playing as the deepest forward on the weekend, holding back in the goal square until the ball was close to 50.
On the plus side he did very well from limited opportunities to kick 3 goals - on the negative side his bloke ran off him and got around 25 possessions which I’m guessing is why he hasn’t been called up as yet. Maybe not quite at required fitness / intensity level for AFL, nothing to do with skill and ability which he has in spades.

But he kicked 3x goals.

We desperately need someone who can kick goals.

Chuck him in this weekend

Very interesting the amount of people that have consistently said Fyfe won't play WAFL, if he needs managed gametime then why shouldn't he play WAFL?

Won't be the first big name player to play at the lower level, Dixon is doing it right now for Port

If he isn't ready for AFL but we can play him for minutes at the lower level then its better than just doing match sim

Only thing I can see against it is the potential of him being targetted at WAFL level or Covid

This is exactly my view on the game too. I get the great white hope syndrome of Sturt - he is an exciting prospect. But right now he's not AFL standard on defence and pressure and I watch every Peel game pretty much to focus on him and a few others. And it's reductive to say 'i want forwards that kick goals; don't care about the rest'. Forwards have to do both.

This is exactly my view on the game too. I get the great white hope syndrome of Sturt - he is an exciting prospect. But right now he's not AFL standard on defence and pressure and I watch every Peel game pretty much to focus on him and a few others. And it's reductive to say 'i want forwards that kick goals; don't care about the rest'. Forwards have to do both.
I think the point many are making on here is that Banfield/Frederick in the last 2 weeks haven’t done both either so if Sturt can kick 3 that’s better than no goals and then let’s see if he can lift his defensive output.

I think the point many are making on here is that Banfield/Frederick in the last 2 weeks haven’t done both either so if Sturt can kick 3 that’s better than no goals and then let’s see if he can lift his defensive output.

The point is though that there's no guarantee that Sturt will kick any goals at the next level either.

The point is though that there's no guarantee that Sturt will kick any goals at the next level either.
No there isn’t but how can we know what he’ll do if he doesn’t play.
Who plays instead of Banfield and Fredericks. They have done nothing the last 2 weeks to earn selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No there isn’t but how can we know what he’ll do if he doesn’t play.
Who plays instead of Banfield and Fredericks. They have done nothing the last 2 weeks to earn selection.

I agree that Banfield and Freddy need to be replaced but they need to be replaced with a player that's going to give at least a similar output for the team, and ideally better. And that should happen tonight. I doubt either will be selected. Erasmus and Treacy are options imo, even Tucker would currently be better than Sturt, maybe even Crowden and that's saying something. Sturt has the ability, he needs to knuckle down and put in the effort.

Just on Sturt, I don’t think anyone here is saying he’s a lock for our best 22 on reputation alone, it’s more of a case of players like Banfield, Treacy, Amiss being rewarded for strong WAFL form - earning them a call up/recall to the seniors as a reward, then either having disappointing games due to the step up to AFL being too drastic or continuing their strong WAFL form. The difference is Sturt hasn’t even gotten a chance to prove himself at AFL level this year where as pretty much all of our other forwards have.

When the going gets tough for fringe players they often go missing. But I’ll always remember Sturt’s debut against Essendon where he almost single handedly won us the game by outbodying Michael Hurley (a seasoned AFL level defender with high standards) twice in the final quarter and kicked 3 goals in a game which we only kicked 8 for the day. We’ve yet to see that from a player like Banfield and don’t think we ever will.

I think all we want is for Sturt to be rewarded a chance to start for Freo (just like all of our other forwards) and remind us of what he can do at the top level again. If he spuds it up, then great, at least then we know he still needs time at Peel.

I agree that Banfield and Freddy need to be replaced but they need to be replaced with a player that's going to give at least a similar output for the team, and ideally better. And that should happen tonight. I doubt either will be selected. Erasmus and Treacy are options imo, even Tucker would currently be better than Sturt, maybe even Crowden and that's saying something. Sturt has the ability, he needs to knuckle down and put in the effort.
Why make him one of the emergencies then?

Just on Sturt, I don’t think anyone here is saying he’s a lock for our best 22 on reputation alone, it’s more of a case of players like Banfield, Treacy, Amiss being rewarded for strong WAFL form - earning them a call up/recall to the seniors as a reward, then either having disappointing games due to the step up to AFL being too drastic or continuing their strong WAFL form. The difference is Sturt hasn’t even gotten a chance to prove himself at AFL level this year where as pretty much all of our other forwards have.

When the going gets tough for fringe players they often go missing. But I’ll always remember Sturt’s debut against Essendon where he almost single handedly won us the game by outbodying Michael Hurley (a seasoned AFL level defender with high standards) twice in the final quarter and kicked 3 goals in a game which we only kicked 8 for the day. We’ve yet to see that from a player like Banfield and don’t think we ever will.

I think all we want is for Sturt to be rewarded a chance to start for Freo (just like all of our other forwards) and remind us of what he can do at the top level again. If he spuds it up, then great, at least then we know he still needs time at Peel.
Strong WAFL form from Banfield this year?
When exactly was this? I must have missed it because it didn’t happen!
If it did, I would have been much more understanding of his inclusion in recent weeks.
BEEF3276-D4EA-4E78-9073-08CA802879AC.gif

Strong WAFL form from Banfield this year?
When exactly was this? I must have missed it because it didn’t happen!
If it did, I would have been much more understanding of his inclusion in recent weeks.
View attachment 1409849
You are correct. Ole Bails has played one WAFL game which entailed 7 possessions, 3 tackles and 1 goal. Such a good game that he was rushed straight back to the super sub role. Bails must have a clause in his contract that means he plays no more than 3 WAFL games. I had him down to win the B&F for Peel - so wrong was I. I thought his PS form warranted round 1 and the Gerard Healey wank fest on Bails being the greatest and most underrated player to ever set foot on some grassed oval. But for his ghost like presence to drag into about 9 games is bewildering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back