2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me the only potential AFL players I saw today from the WAFL boys were Jake Florenca and perhaps Ty Anderson.

Not overly impressed by any of the others tbh. McQuilkin got a bit of the ball but doesn’t look to have the foot skills to play AFL. Zac Strom barely sighted.

For Freo Blakely and Tucker were typical for them. Lots of the ball for little gain. Wilson had a decent day, as did Hughes. A lot of the others got bullied by bigger opponents. Ball was hardly ever delivered to the advantage of Treacy, Amiss and Sturt yet they got 7 goals between them. The Peel WAFL bar T.Bennell, Bell, a few glimpses from Anderson and a solid effort from Smith are very average even at this level. Peel need the likes of Hancock and Thorne back ASAP.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Blakely, Crowden, Tucker have been soundly beaten in the middle by Scloithe, Florenca and Ah Chee. Hard to say if any are AFL quality on today's performance but the South trio look more likely.
A midfield of Blakely, Crowden and Tucker isn’t close to state league level. Yuck

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Florenca (not Florenco as the commentator repeatedly said) was the best player on the park in the second half by some distance and will be on an AFL list in 10 days time, no doubt about it. Would be very happy if it was us but I don’t think he will be available

cp3_jr

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty average performance all round with nearly every player being outplayed by their opponent.

Sturts scoreboard impact off limited opportunities is encouraging but again his pressure and work rate a concern.

Treacy and Amiss bobbed up with a couple each and competed OK but still have a fair bit of development to go.

Meek and Worner were disappointing and the midfielders kept trying but lack class.

Hughes was reasonable and Wilson showed a bit of his run in patches but definitely behind the AFL defenders.

Johnson showed a bit and his tackling numbers were strong but definitely needs to keep building.

Henry underwhelming and Hamling looks very underdone.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Florenca (not Florenco as the commentator repeatedly said) was the best player on the park in the second half by some distance and will be on an AFL list in 10 days time, no doubt about it. Would be very happy if it was us but I don’t think he will be available

I expect most of the early picks in the MSD to be 19 year olds tbh but Florenca could be the sort that breaks that tread.

Maybe even West Coast with pick one. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of teams go local like last year.

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given that Peel almost have their league team playing reserves today plus a young AFL listed ruck, they should kill South.
Instead South doubled their score

Very bad day all round for the Teal

I see that Benning got towelled up in the hit outs...How was he around the ground?

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can someone please explain to me the danger in putting a natural goal kicking forward into our side and keeping Banfield as the sub?

I was standing next to Bob Murphy on the terrace & was so tempted to ask him this.
Just couldn’t bring myself to invade his privacy. Sorry guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was standing next to Bob Murphy on the terrace & was so tempted to ask him this.
Just couldn’t bring myself to invade his privacy. Sorry guys.

For what it's worth he says he is loving his time at Freo. Bell just ignored me lol

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sturt is not going to be a high possession player but he knows when & where to lead, he’s crafty on the ground & he kicks goals. From everywhere.
With classy mids coming at him he’ll kick plenty at AFL level.
Amiss gives me a similar vibe just a bigger version.

Yeah I have seen enough and I think he has hit all the indicators. Time to bring him in next week or against Brisbane. If he doesn't come in I will finally join the angry pro-sturt mob.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s obviously workrate. Natural goalkickers don’t survive these days without having defensive pressure.
Sturt is getting his numbers up
It irritates the crap out of me that we will probably go into the Dees game with Banfield. Might aswell have 21 players.
We will have to wait until he inevitably has 5 disposals and 3 clangers in a defeat before Sturt or even Erasmus is tried again in his place.
Kicking a few Joe the goose goals against North or other teams we are beating by 70 points seems to be enough to stay in the side.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Sturt is not going to be a high possession player but he knows when & where to lead, he’s crafty on the ground & he kicks goals. From everywhere.

100% And Sturt also seems to me the type of player that will improve at the higher level around better teammates.

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

Josh Carr got asked about Sturt on radio today but I missed what he said, did anyone catch this?

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is going to be raining big time, so not ideal to bring in marking forwards. Last week was a horrible game for the majority of the team and conditions did not suit. I see Banfield as depth and I would have thought as a utility player he is perfect for the sub position. His accuracy has been a issue this year. But having 14 scoring shots in 7 games, with a few as the sub is hard to ignore the fact that he can find the footy in the forward 50.

I am a big fan of Sturt, and think he can be a real asset as a legitimate key forward. I do not like the idea of players coming in on potential, however I would have thought he has earnt the opportunity. 2 games with 4 tackles, and 3 games with 3 goals in the magoos. He is surely close, as I said, maybe this week is not ideal with the weather.

Hopefully he comes in for someone next week. Tabs back soon too. Looking at Melbourne, Sturt can almost be that Bailey Fritsch type player, as I remember a few games a while back where he had that great lead, and a high grab.
Super smart player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back