2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

It is going to be raining big time, so not ideal to bring in marking forwards. Last week was a horrible game for the majority of the team and conditions did not suit. I see Banfield as depth and I would have thought as a utility player he is perfect for the sub position. His accuracy has been a issue this year. But having 14 scoring shots in 7 games, with a few as the sub is hard to ignore the fact that he can find the footy in the forward 50.
Banfield is one of the biggest flat track bully type forwards freo have had.
He doesnt kick goals against decent teams. 14 scoring shots you say, I’d be certain all of them were against teams we were beating the crap out of already anyway.
We need players who will kick goals against the grain, such as when the dees or brisbane have a 3 or 4 goal lead over the next few weeks, or when the momentum has swung against us in big games.
For example, last week in Metricon. We needed forwards to stand up. Banfield was anonymous. Now granted he wasn’t the only one last week but he never steps up when we are behind in a game or in trouble. Ever. Name me one example in recent years and I’ll change my mind.
Two goals from Banfield in the third quarter last week when we couldn’t buy a goal would have been more valuable than every other goal combined he’s scored in the last 2 years. It didn’t happen however.

I’m not sure if Sturt is that guy. He probably isn’t to be honest.
But I’m definitely sure Banfield is not that guy. I’m 1000% certain.
That’s why I’m so annoyed he’s getting gametime instead of players like Erasmus this week, or Sturt or even Treacy.

Banfield is one of the biggest flat track bully type forwards freo have had.
He doesnt kick goals against decent teams. 14 scoring shots you say, I’d be certain all of them were against teams we were beating the crap out of already anyway.
We need players who will kick goals against the grain, such as when the dees or brisbane have a 3 or 4 goal lead over the next few weeks, or when the momentum has swung against us in big games.
For example, last week in Metricon. We needed forwards to stand up. Banfield was anonymous. Now granted he wasn’t the only one last week but he never steps up when we are behind in a game or in trouble. Ever. Name me one example in recent years and I’ll change my mind.
Two goals from Banfield in the third quarter last week when we couldn’t buy a goal would have been more valuable than every other goal combined he’s scored in the last 2 years. It didn’t happen however.

I’m not sure if Sturt is that guy. He probably isn’t to be honest.
But I’m definitely sure Banfield is not that guy. I’m 1000% certain.
That’s why I’m so annoyed he’s getting gametime instead of players like Erasmus this week, or Sturt or even Treacy.
I'm happy to have him as medi sub and in the side every odd round. I hate all the negativity on here towards him because he is one of ours. s**t talk the selection committee not Bailey.

Apart from Peel is there any other teams in the WAFL who would have players under the age of 20 playing League??
Today SF had Riley Colbourne, a 19yo freo NGA from last year (kicked a beauty goal too btw), Manfred Kelly who is about 20, same age as Liam Henry.

Just back after the game today - quite the long lunch and struggling to recall the memories of Peel’s loss today after the beer,wine,rum that was flowing all day.
Peel were never really ‘in it’ from where I stood.
Our forward connection was poor and that was mainly due to slow and sideways movement through the middle.
In the main, Our forwards made the most of their chances - but South’s did this far better and deserved the win for their polish in front of goal.
Tucker was BOG for peel IMO, Treacy the best forward and Hughes probably the best back.
Meek was well beaten .
Liam Henry really disappointing- missed some easy foot passes and had some fumbly hands at times - sigh.
Crowden tried hard and was serviceable.
Hamling looked a long way from AFL quality but given the circumstances, understandable.
Johnson still has a bit to learn about positioning at stoppages, didn’t help himself at times worrying about his man when it was in his attacking 50 and his turn to make the play. Not sure if that was a coaching directive, but was also flat footed at the contest a few times - I’ll put it down to youth and fitness. You can see he has some AFL traits - there was one particular handball out of a pack as he was going to ground (pushed) that was exceptional to see live.
And then there’s Sturt…. Anyone thinking he’ll be a KPF of any form is kidding themselves. He was easily ragdolled and out bodied by a 70kg McQuilkan (spelling ?) while he dangerous on the lead and flying into a pack, when it’s a one on one his body positioning left a lot to be desired today. He was playing deepest forward a lot so not sure that facilitates pressure acts, but at the game it felt like his pressure act contribution was negligible. His skill set might possibly transfer to Freo’s current fwd line structure, or it might not - it didn’t stand out live today.
Amiss needs time, no surprises there.
Beautiful day for footy and a great night for a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of the greatest trolls of all time. I am positive he's a BigFooty poster.

Which is fine if you’re on bigfooty

But He is a 60 year old grown adult with a sizeable media profile. Doesn’t he have better things to do than deliberately try wind up freo fans

It’s not funny, clever or endearing and I don’t understand how it benefits him professionally. As far as I can tell even wc supporters think he’s a knob. Its weird, I don’t get it.

Which is fine if you’re on bigfooty

But He is a 60 year old grown adult with a sizeable media profile. Doesn’t he have better things to do than deliberately try wind up freo fans

It’s not funny, clever or endearing and I don’t understand how it benefits him professionally. As far as I can tell even wc supporters think he’s a knob. Its weird, I don’t get it.

There’s a few of the media types attempting to take the Kane Cornes path of controversial statements. These guys are measured on likes and comments. He’s irrelevant and he’s doing his utmost to feather the best but it’s failing. He’s only going to get more bitter as someone like Wil Schofield gets a job he misses out on. Pav continues to shine. Etc etc.

There’s a few of the media types attempting to take the Kane Cornes path of controversial statements. These guys are measured on likes and comments. He’s irrelevant and he’s doing his utmost to feather the best but it’s failing. He’s only going to get more bitter as someone like Wil Schofield gets a job he misses out on. Pav continues to shine. Etc etc.

Can’t remember the exact quote Ross gave Gossage re Knowledge of the AFL game but it was something along the lines “tall with glasses doesn’t make someone smart”

Fits Goosage to a T

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that I've told him where to shove it, I'd love nothing more, than for zero fans to engage with him and his media profile to just completely evaporate (let's be honest, he's irrelevant already, so it wouldn't take much).

Now that I've told him where to shove it, I'd love nothing more, than for zero fans to engage with him and his media profile to just completely evaporate (let's be honest, he's irrelevant already, so it wouldn't take much).
Well, at the rate he blocks people, there’ll be no-one left to talk too.

Blocked Schofield on twitter over a difference of opinion.

Well, at the rate he blocks people, there’ll be no-one left to talk too.

Blocked Schofield on twitter over a difference of opinion.
He strikes me as a twisted and bitter old man. Is he married?

Yep I refused to acknowledge his tweet and have stopped following him. Only knew about the tweet because it was posted on here.
Don’t give him any oxygen and he’ll suffocate.

Last edited:
Well this is weird , defending banners and Tim ******* gossage in one week

Isn’t he just saying the same thing as a lot on here

A team with 13 full time pro footballers getting torched by a team of semi pros is pretty disappointing no matter how many excuses you want to make

Go the Bullies

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Just back after the game today - quite the long lunch and struggling to recall the memories of Peel’s loss today after the beer,wine,rum that was flowing all day.
Peel were never really ‘in it’ from where I stood.
Our forward connection was poor and that was mainly due to slow and sideways movement through the middle.
In the main, Our forwards made the most of their chances - but South’s did this far better and deserved the win for their polish in front of goal.
Tucker was BOG for peel IMO, Treacy the best forward and Hughes probably the best back.
Meek was well beaten .
Liam Henry really disappointing- missed some easy foot passes and had some fumbly hands at times - sigh.
Crowden tried hard and was serviceable.
Hamling looked a long way from AFL quality but given the circumstances, understandable.
Johnson still has a bit to learn about positioning at stoppages, didn’t help himself at times worrying about his man when it was in his attacking 50 and his turn to make the play. Not sure if that was a coaching directive, but was also flat footed at the contest a few times - I’ll put it down to youth and fitness. You can see he has some AFL traits - there was one particular handball out of a pack as he was going to ground (pushed) that was exceptional to see live.
And then there’s Sturt…. Anyone thinking he’ll be a KPF of any form is kidding themselves. He was easily ragdolled and out bodied by a 70kg McQuilkan (spelling ?) while he dangerous on the lead and flying into a pack, when it’s a one on one his body positioning left a lot to be desired today. He was playing deepest forward a lot so not sure that facilitates pressure acts, but at the game it felt like his pressure act contribution was negligible. His skill set might possibly transfer to Freo’s current fwd line structure, or it might not - it didn’t stand out live today.
Amiss needs time, no surprises there.
Beautiful day for footy and a great night for a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Saved me a summary.
I would add that Meek being well beaten gave South first use of the ball. Florenca had 41 and killed the Peel mids. When Peel were on top for periods, particularly the 3rd it was again the connection to the fwds that was lacking.
I liked what I saw of Sturt live. He just looks like a natural footballer. Woukd love to see what his GPS numbers were. As others have said this is likely why he’s not being picked.

Last edited:
Sturt worries me, he’s a bit of a throwback tweener player who would have been great 5-10 years ago, now 200cm players are equally fast and agile, I don’t think he amounts to more than a fringe player in that 18-25 range, he doesn’t have the feel of someone like Fritsch or even equivalent pressure to Treacy

Although a Souths supporter in the WAFL I am also very interested in how Peel are going too.

Yesterday was a great opportunity to see both sides playing an a perfect day for football. My expectation was for Peel to have the better of it with the talent they had available but they were behind all day and hardly fired a shot, very disappointed in their game.

Crowden and Tucker stayed in the game all day, Sturt was effective off limited disposals but after that it was hard to find any positives for Peel.

Hamish Free easily had the better of Lloyd Meek and that was disappointing. Not sure if Liam Henry is injured but he was a long, long way off the pace in this game.

Overall a very underwhelming game from a Peel side who in my opinion should have been right in it to win this game. Cam McCarthy played for Souths and showed why he was cut by Freo.

Sturt worries me, he’s a bit of a throwback tweener player who would have been great 5-10 years ago, now 200cm players are equally fast and agile, I don’t think he amounts to more than a fringe player in that 18-25 range, he doesn’t have the feel of someone like Fritsch or even equivalent pressure to Treacy
It’s just not Sturt though is it?
Erasmus should be taking Banfields spot eventually, playing forward/midfield and working on his kicking.
Instead they have him midfield, and our only medium tall is Sturt.
If Logue is dropped why play him at Peel as a defender? We know what he can do.
Did Meek ruck alone? Or did someone pinch hit, say Treacy?
The one box fits all, good coaching creates mis-matches, and can turn a game on
it’s head.
Maybe we should swap Wilson with Henry? It has worked with a player like
Rioli at Richmond.
Could settle him down and understand how defenders sweat on your mistakes.

Sturt 188cm 80kgs - First 4 games - 5 goals 1 behind - subbed off in the first quarter of game two. 20 years old at the time.
Fritsch 188cm 84kgs - First 4 games - 4 goals 3 behinds from 4 full games. 21 years old at the time. First season 23 games for 17 goals. 14 times goalless in that year including his last 6 games (2 of which were finals).

Fritsch is 25, Sturt is 22.

Moral of the story - give him some f***ing time. He's exactly what we need and when the time is right he'll replace Banfield.

I haven’t got to watch the 2nd half but I thought Henry was good in the 1st half, might have dropped off after though.

I feel like the whole point of Sturt is being missed. The guy kicks goals, something we don’t have a lot of. He’s not a KPF, he’s not defensively minded, he kicks and creates goals from limited opportunities and everything I’ve seen from him screams that his output is similar regardless of the level he plays at. He’d get burned by terrible kicks 4 or 5 times a WAFL game I reckon.

The only question for mine is that is the defensive loss of playing Sturt out-weighed by the offensive gain. It’s a no brainer for me, but apparently the match committee don’t agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back