2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Western is so close to being a very handy player. Hope he can have a big preseason and a breakout season next year. Has all the attributes.
The Walters replacement.

The suggestion of delisting Sturt baffles me. Why would we delist a still-young first round draft pick with obvious ability, unless they had significant attitude issues. The delists/retirements this year are very clear - we don't need to go looking for any more, especially when they would be very likely to come back to bite us.

I was impressed with the debut of Jed Adams. Big boy with some good skills. Amiss - a good return given the layoff and conditions. Ty Anderson has a lot of speed- looks capable as a mature ager.

Player thoughts at full time:
Worner - best game so far, really excellent marking and consistent disposal
Erasmus - was going really well that got targeted by South Freo thugs and seemed rattled; still had a good game.
Blakely - another good game on his end, ran tirelessly and kicking was pretty good
Hughes - Ran pretty well throughout the game on a wing
Johnson - not the same heights as last week and a lot of clanger kicks but laid a lit of tackles and kicked the sealer. Played about 50% forward and 50% midfield again.
Sturt - battled and ran hard but got missed two sodas early and seemed a bit rattled.
Crowden - not his best game but battled hard
Henry - Was overall quiet, seemed like he spent large periods on the bench. A few missed kicks but also a large number of quality disposals.
Amiss - kicked two goals including a super one outside 50 and probably one score involvement on limited game time.
Western - ran hard and some really good inside 50s with some poor ones.
Meek - was okay with 40 hitouts and he tackled hard but overall not his best game
Colyer - 2 goals and lots of run but also lots of clangers as well.

Henry - Was overall quiet, seemed like he spent large periods on the bench. A few missed kicks but also a large number of quality disposals.
I only saw the last quarter, but felt like he was heavily involved and used the ball better than anyone, particularly forward of centre. Starting to see those skills shining through in games.

Player thoughts at full time:
Worner - best game so far, really excellent marking and consistent disposal
Erasmus - was going really well that got targeted by South Freo thugs and seemed rattled; still had a good game.
Blakely - another good game on his end, ran tirelessly and kicking was pretty good
Hughes - Ran pretty well throughout the game on a wing
Johnson - not the same heights as last week and a lot of clanger kicks but laid a lit of tackles and kicked the sealer. Played about 50% forward and 50% midfield again.
Sturt - battled and ran hard but got missed two sodas early and seemed a bit rattled.
Crowden - not his best game but battled hard
Amiss - kicked two goals including a super one outside 50 and probably one score involvement on limited game time.
Western - ran hard and some really good inside 50s with some poor ones.
Meek - was okay with 40 hitouts and he tackled hard but overall not his best game
Colyer - 2 goals and lots of run but also lots of clangers as well.

Can't agree on Raz, I loved the way both he and Johnno reacted and responded to the attention from the old dogs.

I've also seen better games from Worner even though he was good, and Meek was excellent after half time - used his fitness to beat Free after lowering his clouds early on. Mostly agree on the others except I didn't see any positives in Westerns game - seems to be more a fine weather player.

Last edited:
I was impressed with the debut of Jed Adams. Big boy with some good skills. Amiss - a good return given the layoff and conditions. Ty Anderson has a lot of speed- looks capable as a mature ager.

Ty Anderson isn't a smart player and his disposal by foot is very hit and miss, but I love his pace and how he uses it - Western could take a leaf out of his book in that regard.

Blakely was really good today. Used the ball well and made good decisions.

Don’t know about rattled but Erasmus was smashed at every opportunity by South’s.

The umpiring was baffling that last quarter. At one point 7 free kicks to 1 and some very questionable ones. One in particular robbed Henry at a shot on goal. Can’t remember who might have been Strom danced around and got tackled and dropped the ball but was called a push in the back for an very good tackle where the loose ball was chipped to Henry about 35 metre out in front of goal.

22 possessions from Meek was good as well. The commentators kept talking about how well Free was going but Meek and Smith gave him a hiding in the last quarter. Also big thumbs up for pushing schloithe into the ground. Worth the 50metre penalty everyday of the week.

D#*khead award was closely fought out by Schlensog and Schloithe. In fact anyone whose surname starts with SCHL. Ensog almost edged out oithe but Oithe got the nod again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree on Raz, I loved the way both he and Johnno reacted and responded to the attention from the dogs.

I've also seen better games from Worner even though he was good, and Meek was excellent after half time - used his fitness to beat Free after lowering his clouds early on. Mostly agree on the others except I didn't see any positives in Westerns game - seems to be more a fine weather player.

Fair enough - I'll qualify that my assessments are probably relative to previous weeks. I agree that Erasmus was good (early on I said that I think he is the unluckiest freo player out there to not be playing tonight) particularly early on, but I guess I am saying after the big hit he was probably not as dominant. Johnson stood up to the attention agree with that but overall he had a lot of kicks that went straight to the opposition under not much pressure.

I have seen Worner games where he got more of it but I guess I felt this was the first time where everything he did was pretty good.

I have always been pretty negative with respect to Western (I don't get comments by others that he is the next Walters) but he did have some good disposals early on so I want to recognize that.

Meek again was good; just not as good as he has been.

I can agree with Descent also that Henry's skills shined at times, but (the flip to Western) I am pretty positive about him most of the time and I noticed today that he spent a lot of time off the ground (not sure if that was as a precaution for things happening with players) and was not as involved as his last few WAFL games. He was impactful much of the time he was on.

It’s clearly lies, he was at the game today, and near our players. Wonder what’s going on?
He supposedly had a stomach bug. He's not going to give that to them standing next to them.

Usually we get over viral stomach infections very quickly if it's novovirus but some of the less common ones you can be crook a lot longer.

Tin foils hats can be stood down I think.

He supposedly had a stomach bug. He's not going to give that to them standing next to them.

Usually we get over viral stomach infections very quickly if it's novovirus but some of the less common ones you can be crook a lot longer.

Tin foils hats can be stood down I think.
A lot of "stomach bugs" this year have been COVID or influenza (have seen people who have only had gastro, no cough or fever, and have tested positive to influenza).

Fair enough - I'll qualify that my assessments are probably relative to previous weeks. I agree that Erasmus was good (early on I said that I think he is the unluckiest freo player out there to not be playing tonight) particularly early on, but I guess I am saying after the big hit he was probably not as dominant. Johnson stood up to the attention agree with that but overall he had a lot of kicks that went straight to the opposition under not much pressure.

I have seen Worner games where he got more of it but I guess I felt this was the first time where everything he did was pretty good.

I have always been pretty negative with respect to Western (I don't get comments by others that he is the next Walters) but he did have some good disposals early on so I want to recognize that.

Meek again was good; just not as good as he has been.

I can agree with Descent also that Henry's skills shined at times, but (the flip to Western) I am pretty positive about him most of the time and I noticed today that he spent a lot of time off the ground (not sure if that was as a precaution for things happening with players) and was not as involved as his last few WAFL games. He was impactful much of the time he was on.
Raz was good in close just needs to give it off more as still tries to take them on too much, I am sure this is attributed to his dominance at schoolboy football. He may be a tad slow but makes up for it with thinking on his feet and will improve parts of his games that need it as he matures.
Meek week in and week our preforms if jackson comes only fair he looks elewhere many clubs would play him. Some excellent riuck worjk that our onballers benefitted from.
Henry lacked a little polish yesterday but did a few eye catching things that others cannot do, This is his beauty, floats in and out but more than solid.
Worner was super clean again and opened up the play a few times with piercing kicks and handballs to open players, doesn't panic - He played mostly back from what I saw yesterday no where near a wing.
Amiss was very quiet and a long way off it but you would expect this after the length of time he has been sidelined - Two very handy goals with limited possessions makes me look forward to 2023

Raz was good in close just needs to give it off more as still tries to take them on too much, I am sure this is attributed to his dominance at schoolboy football. He may be a tad slow but makes up for it with thinking on his feet and will improve parts of his games that need it as he matures.
Meek week in and week our preforms if jackson comes only fair he looks elewhere many clubs would play him. Some excellent riuck worjk that our onballers benefitted from.
Henry lacked a little polish yesterday but did a few eye catching things that others cannot do, This is his beauty, floats in and out but more than solid.
Worner was super clean again and opened up the play a few times with piercing kicks and handballs to open players, doesn't panic - He played mostly back from what I saw yesterday no where near a wing.
Amiss was very quiet and a long way off it but you would expect this after the length of time he has been sidelined - Two very handy goals with limited possessions makes me look forward to 2023
Great summary and comments. You are spot on about Raz he monstered PSA football. He isn’t super quick but smashes endurance running. Apparently did well in the middle distance running at school.

Around September last year 6PR were running this draftee profile spot where each week they interviewed a draftee.

Raz had a severe corky that caused bleeding into the quad and missed the last portion of season. He had just started back some light running but was focused on his exams. If I remember correctly his 2km time trial prior to injury was elite around the same mark as Worner (plus or minus 6mins).

He is an inside mid but a handy forward. Underage colts kicked 4-5 goals for Subi in the GF. Watching highlights from last weeks WAFL game there was one passage where he started in the backline and ended up via a few midfield passages kicking a goal just inside 50. Freo put this up on social media. This is Raz at his best. I agree he needs to get the ball out more quickly. He likes to wrestle and wriggle around with the ball to try and get free. He should watch some vision of Michael Barlow or even Caleb Serong to get the quick handball release.

Johnson to me is very similar to Mundy. Seems to create space and time and use the ball well by hand and foot. He had a bit of an off game with his footskills, but there was one where it was obvious Sturt got man handled on the lead and the kick was an uncontested mark to South’s. I’ve not seen Sturt show too much emotion but he was irate and the commentators even said he was pulled the ground.

Worner used the ball well. When you compare to his first couple of WAFL games where it was obvious he could run but he was rusty as with his footskills. I liked his game yesterday. Hopefully no more of him playing reserves.

Henry is work in progress. I’ve commented on him. Big PS coming up. He did bugger all in the last but there was one moment where he used his body to outmark Zac Strom. I had to double check it was Henry. He has certainly built strength and now increase his tank and running patterns.

Re: Amiss I’m just glad to see him back playing hopefully Treacy is back next week with his dodgy gut/ankle or whatever it is. The two of them working in tandem is important. Also frees up Strurt to play his normal role.

Thought Henry's value was getting free and popping up on places to take marks. He only took 5 on the stat sheet but he just seemed to take them at imporant times when Peel needed to keep control of the ball and continue to take some forward ground in wet conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back