Prediction 2022 Phantom Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of maybe the Afl did this, maybe that, could have, should have. Not a single sentence about him taking responsibility for his own actions. One strike policy for inflicting violence on a woman. What, are you suggesting there should be two strike, three strike policy. The man has shown to be a terrible human, who it appears does not have ability to learn or to adjust his behavior. It is not the Swan's responsibility to make him an agreeable human. That was primarily parental responsibility and once of age it is his own responsibility.

And as I posted. Times have changed.

I did this for the Swans board but I looked back as far as Twomey has been doing phantom drafts before the actual draft and here are his Swans selections

2012 (Pick 23) - Jesse Lonergan
2013 (Pick 15) - Tom Cutler
2014 (Pick 18) - Isaac Heeney
2015 (Pick 3) - Callum Mills
2016 (Pick 11) - Jy Simpkin
2017 (Pick 14) - Luchie O'Brien
2018 (Pick 7) - Nick Blakey
2019 (Pick 5) - Sam Flanders
2020 (Pick 4) - Denver Grainger-Barras
2021 (Pick 18) - Tom Brown

Other than the acadmey kids who pick themselves he has never made a correct selection with the Swans.
So if the 10 you listed 3 were academy picks 3 went within 1 of his selection. It’s also really hard to predict a late 1st or early 2nd.

It not about height but power.

As you pointed out the Cats mids all had mature AFL bodies, and it showed.

Swans losing Kennedy was a big loss. Apart from Warner the other Swans mids just were not big or strong enough.

Sheldrick will help.

A Phillapou or Hewett would as well. Bigger combative ball winners.
Rarely venture into the main board but I've been perusing this thread and this topic is a particular source of frustration for me, and on this occasion I have to defend two guys by the name of Callum Mills and James Rowbottom.

You mention that Warner was the only one big enough or strong enough. Maybe the reality is that he - and Parker, though he is what he is - was the only one primed for the grand final?

Mills had 7 CBAs the entire GF. Seven. Our biggest-bodied mid, our All Australian mid, our best & fairest, our captain... kept out of the area where we needed him most. Ask yourself why that would be? There was much speculation for weeks towards the back end of the season that his achilles issue from 2021 was flaring up again. We may never know for sure, but our use of him in the most important match of the year might be a good indication.

Then there is Rowbottom. Whilst all of the hype was deservedly surrounding Warner after that month where he went beserk, it was actually Rowbottom getting us to a grand final. In round 22 against Collingwood with top 4 a possibility, it was Rowbottom who got 8 coaches votes while Warner got none. In round 23 against St Kilda when we very nearly blew our top 4 spot, it was Rowbottom who was our clear BOG while Warner was occupied with the Windhager tag. In the qualifying final against Melbourne, it was Rowbottom who was BOG for us while Warner had his lowest disposal count for the year. In the preliminary final against Collingwood when the Pies came hard and the game was on, it was Rowbottom who was the highest rated player on the ground in the last quarter while Warner had only 7 touches for the entire second half. If Rowbottom didn't look big enough or strong enough in the grand final, it's probably because he was knackered from getting us there (averaging 12.9 contested possessions in the 2 months leading up to it.)

The scariest part is that out of just about every player on our list, Rowbottom has got the most upside. He is so much more of a project player than his performances to date have suggested. He came to us much more raw than anyone realised and has spent his first four seasons in the system with one of the lowest BMIs of all our players and averaging mid-60s for TOG% because his tank needed so much work. To think that a player like that has already played 70 AFL games... most of them in the guts... and actually starred in a decent chunk of them... like I said, it is genuinely scary.

So it's easy to look at our midfield on GF day and say that we miss JPK, or that we're Warner or bust. Pay closer attention to all the games that actually got us to the GF and you'll realise we're actually Mills & Rowbottom or bust. And that is a mighty testament to how good those two are. To star in a grand final, you have to actually be in a grand final...

I dont think there is any dramas at all with the Swans midfield moving forward.

Given how young they are, there is a fair bit of upside.

There aren't many (if any holes in the Swans list moving forward)
might be a reach, but Brayden George could be a good option.
Powerful & creative. And they've got a nice balance of youth and experience that they can have patience as he rehabs.

Rarely venture into the main board but I've been perusing this thread and this topic is a particular source of frustration for me, and on this occasion I have to defend two guys by the name of Callum Mills and James Rowbottom.

You mention that Warner was the only one big enough or strong enough. Maybe the reality is that he - and Parker, though he is what he is - was the only one primed for the grand final?

Mills had 7 CBAs the entire GF. Seven. Our biggest-bodied mid, our All Australian mid, our best & fairest, our captain... kept out of the area where we needed him most. Ask yourself why that would be? There was much speculation for weeks towards the back end of the season that his achilles issue from 2021 was flaring up again. We may never know for sure, but our use of him in the most important match of the year might be a good indication.

Then there is Rowbottom. Whilst all of the hype was deservedly surrounding Warner after that month where he went beserk, it was actually Rowbottom getting us to a grand final. In round 22 against Collingwood with top 4 a possibility, it was Rowbottom who got 8 coaches votes while Warner got none. In round 23 against St Kilda when we very nearly blew our top 4 spot, it was Rowbottom who was our clear BOG while Warner was occupied with the Windhager tag. In the qualifying final against Melbourne, it was Rowbottom who was BOG for us while Warner had his lowest disposal count for the year. In the preliminary final against Collingwood when the Pies came hard and the game was on, it was Rowbottom who was the highest rated player on the ground in the last quarter while Warner had only 7 touches for the entire second half. If Rowbottom didn't look big enough or strong enough in the grand final, it's probably because he was knackered from getting us there (averaging 12.9 contested possessions in the 2 months leading up to it.)

The scariest part is that out of just about every player on our list, Rowbottom has got the most upside. He is so much more of a project player than his performances to date have suggested. He came to us much more raw than anyone realised and has spent his first four seasons in the system with one of the lowest BMIs of all our players and averaging mid-60s for TOG% because his tank needed so much work. To think that a player like that has already played 70 AFL games... most of them in the guts... and actually starred in a decent chunk of them... like I said, it is genuinely scary.

So it's easy to look at our midfield on GF day and say that we miss JPK, or that we're Warner or bust. Pay closer attention to all the games that actually got us to the GF and you'll realise we're actually Mills & Rowbottom or bust. And that is a mighty testament to how good those two are. To star in a grand final, you have to actually be in a grand final...
massive Rowbottom fan.
competes hard, he's pretty clean when mucking in for the ball. His flattening of Merrett in the "shiel/Parker" game was overshadowed by said antics. He effectively took out our key mid with a late but largely fair bump.

Rowbottom, Mills and Warner will have you guys competing nicely for a fair while. Some good depth coming through with Campbell, Stephens, Gulden and Hayward too.

might be a reach, but Brayden George could be a good option.
Powerful & creative. And they've got a nice balance of youth and experience that they can have patience as he rehabs.
I had Sydney in a phantom, and that is exactly who I picked.

without the injury, he almost certainly goes top 10.

It is a risk reward selection that I think Sydney are well placed to take.

We might be willing to make the selection as well with either 18 or 19 if he is there.

massive Rowbottom fan.
competes hard, he's pretty clean when mucking in for the ball. His flattening of Merrett in the "shiel/Parker" game was overshadowed by said antics. He effectively took out our key mid with a late but largely fair bump.

Rowbottom, Mills and Warner will have you guys competing nicely for a fair while. Some good depth coming through with Campbell, Stephens, Gulden and Hayward too.
He plays the right way. Never seen him antagonising or getting in a biff with an opponent. Never seen him remonstrate with an umpire. If he didn't play such ridiculously gutsy and committed footy you'd be forgiven for thinking he wasn't passionate enough. Gets absolutely pummeled every week by blokes bigger than him, just gets back up and goes again. Gets his head ripped off putting his head over the ball but instead of milking the free, he's already moved on and got on with it.

If you get a chance check out the 50/50 ball he won against Clayton Oliver mid-year. Wears the full brunt of Oliver's contact, still manages to win the ball, and earns a high free in the process but he's not even interested in it. Already played on and taken off before the umpire could blow his whistle.

Edit: Found it. The fact he has a fan page in his honour says it all LOL

Post in thread '#8 James Rowbottom'
Player Watch - #8 James Rowbottom

We might be willing to make the selection as well with either 18 or 19 if he is there.
he's my choice if we trade up from 22.
Dream scenario;
Wardlaw/Tsatas/Humphrey/Phillipou
George
Davey
Munkara
Kobe Ryan
Davey to rookie list

I think we have enough spots for that to happen.

he's my choice if we trade up from 22.
Dream scenario;
Wardlaw/Tsatas/Humphrey/Phillipou
George
Davey
Munkara
Kobe Ryan
Davey to rookie list

I think we have enough spots for that to happen.
If we take Wardlaw, George, Davey, Munkara and Ryan we don't have the space for both Davey and Eyre.

I'd rather have Munkara as a Cat B personally

If we take Wardlaw, George, Davey, Munkara and Ryan we don't have the space for both Davey and Eyre.

I'd rather have Munkara as a Cat B personally
thought Ryan might be a pick too much.
tbh, im not fussed if we don't take Eyre, but I'd like both Davey's.

I'd also rather Munkara as Cat B, but I don't like our chances. seems too good to slip through. Whereas Jayden may well given the injuries.

thought Ryan might be a pick too much.
tbh, im not fussed if we don't take Eyre, but I'd like both Davey's.

I'd also rather Munkara as Cat B, but I don't like our chances. seems too good to slip through. Whereas Jayden may well given the injuries.
I think Munkara will either go before 40 or be Cat B. Nothing in between

Plus if Davey is there at our last pick in the draft we will take him to get the 5 senior listed players.

We weren't able to turn Elijah Taylor around. Don't really want to risk a first round pick on someone that could easily not make it due to personality reasons.

I played GV against Adam Yze, he kicked one of my teammates while he was on the ground, hardly a reason to not draft him and in that case clearly not an indicator of someone with personality issues (maybe a bit of white line fever lol)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see us grabbing him, but I'd rather focus on actual needs, instead of a fwd/mid. If we see him mostly full-time midfield, then sure. As it stands, I do eye roll a bit when we're linked with small/medium forwards or half backs. Meanwhile in a year, we probably lose Buddy, Reid, Hickey, Rampe, maybe a few of Gould, Amartey, McLean, Melican (all 1 year left).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back