Strategy 2022 Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 is probably the reference point to use for Hewett. His last season where he played predominantly as a midfielder and stayed fit.

He averaged 88 that year, but played a lot of lockdown roles. I feel like Carlton wouldn't be paying him $450k a year to play many lockdown roles, so he could push that up to 90-100.

Going off this years figures I worked out he should be around $395k. At that price you are looking at him being a keeper and he will be nothing like that. My guess is he has been brought in to protect the other Midfielders and free them up. I would not be going anywhere near him as I think he will play many lockdown roles. I think Walsh will cop a bit more attention next year and will be a risk starting at around $632k. With Voss now the coach my money would be on him to shove a big stick right up Cripps clacker and at $450k and could be the bargain of the year if he gets his 2018,2019 mojo back.

I’m talking statistically rather than looking at SC scores - averaged 28 touches per game. His influence was also far beyond CD, and IIRC received Brownlow votes in one of those other games, although I could be completely making that up.
Cerra averaged 24 disposals a game this year (taking out the game he was injured early). Only two games 30 or over. Only averaged 2.5 tackles per game which really hurts in SC. Didn't look up contested possessions but I suspect they would be low.

He's a beautiful kick, will get a lot of I50's and score assists, so there is definitely room for improvement, especially if Carlton get better. Like him as a player, just don't think he's worth picking in SC. Clangers killed him a bit as he takes on the attacking kicks a lot (assume he will have the same role at Carlton as that would play to his strength)

Going off this years figures I worked out he should be around $395k. At that price you are looking at him being a keeper and he will be nothing like that. My guess is he has been brought in to protect the other Midfielders and free them up. I would not be going anywhere near him as I think he will play many lockdown roles. I think Walsh will cop a bit more attention next year and will be a risk starting at around $632k. With Voss now the coach my money would be on him to shove a big stick right up Cripps clacker and at $450k and could be the bargain of the year if he gets his 2018,2019 mojo back.
I'm not sure I agree he needs to be a keeper at that price. If he was able to get to around $550k that's a simple sideways trade. There's going to be plenty of rookies whose ceiling will probably be capped at ˜$150k growth and require another, if not 2 other, downgrades to become a premium. If Hewett is playing in the midfield, he's every chance of working himself up to a price where he will become 1 simple sideways trade.

Cripps is on the never again list for me at this point. * that campaigner.

Agree with this, very tempted by Cripps. Hard to trust him after two down years, but surely he bounces back with eyes on Walsh, and with their additions in the midfield. It seemed the smaller, fitter mid's were more prominent last year, if he looks fit in PS he could be a great choice.

Also agree about Walsh, reckon he's one you can wait for a down game or two to drop his price a bit.

I'm not sure I agree he needs to be a keeper at that price. If he was able to get to around $550k that's a simple sideways trade. There's going to be plenty of rookies whose ceiling will probably be capped at ˜$150k growth and require another, if not 2 other, downgrades to become a premium. If Hewett is playing in the midfield, he's every chance of working himself up to a price where he will become 1 simple sideways trade.

Cripps is on the never again list for me at this point. fu** that campaigner.
Someone (forget who) mentioned Hewitt played in defense a bit this year, so could be eligible as a defender? He could be worth it if D/M.

Cripps is on the never again list for me at this point. fu** that campaigner.

LOL if he gets to $550k you won't be sideways trading him he really will be a keeper. Heppell started at $319k this year and averaged 100 his highest price was $517k

Cerra averaged 24 disposals a game this year (taking out the game he was injured early). Only two games 30 or over. Only averaged 2.5 tackles per game which really hurts in SC. Didn't look up contested possessions but I suspect they would be low.

He's a beautiful kick, will get a lot of I50's and score assists, so there is definitely room for improvement, especially if Carlton get better. Like him as a player, just don't think he's worth picking in SC. Clangers killed him a bit as he takes on the attacking kicks a lot (assume he will have the same role at Carlton as that would play to his strength)

He won’t be playing the same role at Carlton. We lack inside midfielders, and Cerra was drafted as a more balanced mid.

At Freo he has largely played on the outside, first at half back and then predominantly on the wing. He didn’t need to do a whole lot at the stoppages at the Dockers as they’ve got/had Fyfe, Mundy, Bradshaw and Serong in there. He was best utilised as that final link before pulling a kick into the corridor or drilling inside 50.

I don’t doubt he’s going to be relied on to pinpoint passes at times, I would think though that there’s going to be a design to spend time on the inside, where we haven’t had an effective 2nd or 3rd link. His ability to get into space is going to be very handy.

I get the pricing argument though. Very much a moderate risk/moderate reward prospect.

Agree with this, very tempted by Cripps. Hard to trust him after two down years, but surely he bounces back with eyes on Walsh, and with their additions in the midfield. It seemed the smaller, fitter mid's were more prominent last year, if he looks fit in PS he could be a great choice.

Also agree about Walsh, reckon he's one you can wait for a down game or two to drop his price a bit.

Voss pivotal in Wines’ revival. Reckon Cripps is one to watch if he gets back to his best.

$450k could be peanuts.

LOL if he gets to $550k you won't be sideways trading him he really will be a keeper. Heppell started at $319k this year and averaged 100 his highest price was $517k
Not so sure. Taranto maxed out around $540k this year and I absolutely would have entertained trading him at that point this year if my starting team wasn't a complete dumpster fire and I had trades to burn.

At that point, you could have sideways traded Taranto to Mitchell, Walsh, Merrett, Petracca, or Laird.

Heppell also stagnated at $500K because he didn't get any particularly big scores once he got there. Hewett's shown he's capable of the occasional big game playing in the midfield.

Last edited:
I can’t find the season heat maps on the afl app.
Can someone tell me how to access them?
Or alternatively; please post Dan Houston’s 2021 season heat map.

Cheers guys!

Lloyd + Hall + Helmet + Stewart + rookies.
Piggy + Macrae + Touk + Steele + rookies
Gawn + Grundy + Edwards
RoMa + Thomas + Horne + Daicos + rookies.
This is how I am thinking currently.
If I have any extra cash it will be for bumping up my forward rookies to low end mid pricers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn + Grundy + Edwards
If I have any extra cash it will be for bumping up my forward rookies to low end mid pricers.

Daicos fwd?

Gawn + Grundy + Edwards
I’m thinking of going 3 promos down back and hoping Milera is fit and start him at D4. He should only be around $210k

Hopefully. He kicks plenty of goals.
It wont really matter if I take him as a mid.
I will find a forward mid pricer to replace him.
Thats going to be my general structure. 2 premo forwards.
i'm not sure he gets dpp tbh, he kicks a lot of goals but i'm not sure if he kicks them as a forward or as a mid. i suspect the latter unfortunately.

Gawn + Grundy + Edwards
Coleman from the Lions should be a good pick-up if Daicos doesn't get DPP.

87, 90, and 77 in the last 3 games when he was moved into the backline, and should get plenty of footy playing that rebounding role with Birchall gone.

i'm not sure he gets dpp tbh, he kicks a lot of goals but i'm not sure if he kicks them as a forward or as a mid. i suspect the latter unfortunately.
My plan is to take 4 super premo mids. If I have to have Daicos @m5 it probably helps TBH.
Guns and rookies for me this year.

The Tigers have just swapped picks 38 & 40 for the pies pick 27. We now have 7,15,26,27,28 I reckon we will still get the suns pick 3 from them
Doubtful. The suns will preselect 2 academy kids most likely and only need to take 1 pick in the draft.
Multiple picks wont work for them.
They dont have the empty list spots.

The Tigers have just swapped picks 38 & 40 for the pies pick 27. We now have 7,15,26,27,28 I reckon we will still get the suns pick 3 from them
suns don't want more picks though, i reckon you guys should take that to the draft and ******* load up on a core for the next 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back