Training 2022 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s expand the connection just a little.
Cripps family from Northampton, just up the road from Geraldton.
Jack Carroll is a Geraldton boy and like the Cripps boys boarded at Aquinas College.
Carroll and Josh good mates, same year. There was some earlier talk of Carroll having some “go home” issues.
Fairly certain our latest acquisition Jesse Motlop was another Aquinas boy, so not a bad little group to put together.

Hoping Josh shows enough to earn a spot. We have enough of everything else on the list, but a capable tall forward who can ruck would be a godsend for our VFL group.

Not knocking young Tyreece at all, but we do not need another undersized “almost” KPD. McDonald and Young supply enough back up for Weiters this year. If one doesn’t show as a long term KPD lock, then we need to find a candidate next draft/trade period. A genuine TALL defender. We can of course show optimism at Akuei developing in the wings. If he reaches a genuine 195cm and fill out with his elite athleticism, we may already have our quota. We have plenty of genuine 3rd tall defender options to add to the mix with Kemp, Marchbank, Parks, maybe McGovern, JSOS and although better suited on smaller opponents, Plowman.

That is correct

The old 'give me six years and put my brother on the list next year or i wont resign' trick 🤣
I more hope it's;

"Crippa, we love your brother and with his unfortunate ACL we have an opportunity to keep him a bit under the radar and snaffle him for nix in the pre-season draft! Make sure he follows his program and comes in at pre-season fit and firing!"

Our list is nowhere near deep/talented enough to be doing favors..can’t believe Austin,Voss or cook would approve.

Can anyone explain why we wouldn’t invite the full complement of six train on players we are allowed..it could not possibly be that we don’t rate another four.

Our list is nowhere near deep/talented enough to be doing favors..can’t believe Austin,Voss or cook would approve.

Can anyone explain why we wouldn’t invite the full complement of six train on players we are allowed..it could not possibly be that we don’t rate another four.

At this stage we have 1 list spot left. Given this is now an SSP acquisition, considering best available would have a large group of similar ranked player, so you would lean to needs

Would think a KPD and or a 2nd string forward/ruckman would be our greatest needs.

Some of these types are also training at other clubs, which we can also select

This wouldn't be doing Patty a favour.

We need another ruck or ruck/fwd or fwd/ruck. That's exactly what Josh is. The other biggest need is a KPD and we have one of those training (admittedly more of a 3rd tall, which we need less).

Patty jnr was good enough to make the WA team and was always a late ND/rookie chance. So he's no mug.

He had good form this year and had an amazing purple patch.....although he was a giant 19yo playing at Colts level so we need to temper expectations.

He looks very slow, although recorded a stunning 8.3sec in the agility test (elite for a big).

Certainly worth a look, especially considering he was coming back from an ACL year and may get even better with time.

As for inviting six players down, I agree with you. Why not maxmise your options? However..... teams rarely (never?) invite that many down. It's usually 2-4 as you'll already be pretty honed into who you want to pick up. And I doubt many candidates would be keen on training with you if you already have five otehrs lined up....

Bloody awesome to see Doc up and about, poor kid has been through so much in his life. Deserves a break and turn of good fortune.

Best of luck to Vossy & the Blues this year, will be a team to watch for sure.

This wouldn't be doing Patty a favour.

We need another ruck or ruck/fwd or fwd/ruck. That's exactly what Josh is. The other biggest need is a KPD and we have one of those training (admittedly more of a 3rd tall, which we need less).

Patty jnr was good enough to make the WA team and was always a late ND/rookie chance. So he's no mug.

He had good form this year and had an amazing purple patch.....although he was a giant 19yo playing at Colts level so we need to temper expectations.

He looks very slow, although recorded a stunning 8.3sec in the agility test (elite for a big).

Certainly worth a look, especially considering he was coming back from an ACL year and may get even better with time.

As for inviting six players down, I agree with you. Why not maxmise your options? However..... teams rarely (never?) invite that many down. It's usually 2-4 as you'll already be pretty honed into who you want to pick up. And I doubt many candidates would be keen on training with you if you already have five otehrs lined up....

Perhaps in my wording..I agree if cripps was picked it would be on merit as cook etc would not be doing any favors for anyone.

At this stage we have 1 list spot left. Given this is now an SSP acquisition, considering best available would have a large group of similar ranked player, so you would lean to needs

Would think a KPD and or a 2nd string forward/ruckman would be our greatest needs.

Some of these types are also training at other clubs, which we can also select

Still can’t get my head around not inviting more to compete against each other. There have been talls written about on this site who don’t appear on training lists anywhere, give them a chance, what do lose from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can’t get my head around not inviting more to compete against each other. There have been talls written about on this site who don’t appear on training lists anywhere, give them a chance, what do lose from it.

Understand, I too would prefer a couple more as well, but perhaps there are things we just don't know from the outside. Some of the players I/others have mentioned, the club might have information where they have already been ruled out, not only by us but other clubs. This could be a lack of drive, commitment to standards, etc.

If they aren't training with us, nor any other club, then perhaps that tells you more about the player than anything you read here

The old 'give me six years and put my brother on the list next year or i wont resign' trick 🤣
I believe the only way Josh would agree to coming over was if they gave his brother a six year contract. Apparently could’ve kicked ten goals a game but decided to keep his form hidden if we did the right thing by Patrick.

I like the two we are running with and the whole pool of players can be accessed in the draft. If we spot someone out of the corner of our eye, we can still draft them. I must admit, I would like to have added a more experienced, tall defender but, the club has all the inside knowledge.

I see the signings as having a very clear strategy:

1. Leiu is our primary choice on potential
2. Cripps is a prospect for mid or next year that we want to inspire to elevate his game and standard further, and maybe even sign on for the VFL squad

It's a shame we weren't keener on Fejo Jr and others alongside, but it is what it is, and we only have one list spot presently.

Watching Josh’s highlight video, he moves like a ruckman, which makes sense since he is one. I hope he trains well and plays VFL for us this year and hopefully gets a spot on the list at some point.
TDK looks like a great prospect, hopefully about to take the next step this year. Pitto I think has some limitations but appears to be a great clubman and excellent for the team culture.
Will be interesting to see how we fill that position at the of 2022.

Cerra is ready to explode - regularly hit 25 disposals this season playing a mixture of inside/outside. I hope Vossy leaves him in the guts, and if he does, expecting close to 30 a game

I think he and Walsh will make for a wonderful pairing. Will be borderline impossible to keep either of them under 20 disposals, and if you keep one quiet (<25 touches) odds are the other one will pick up the slack and go 30+.

Should mean Cripps can focus on getting his 25 or so a game inside the pack and just keep feeding it out. Consistency from Cripps is what we need, not a massive ceiling. Make the opposition agonise over how to stop Cripps shrugging his man and finding a bit of space, without leaving Walsh or Cerra unattended.

Really hoping to see a more balanced spread through the midfield, not one bloke getting 35 and everyone else in the teens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back