Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Make that a double curse...us follicly challenged cranial bald and hairless types must stand United against those with illustrious luxurious locks. Down with the hairy plentiful...a pox upon their scalps.
Best of both worlds...

1638824638908.png

Here’s an interesting one. Where do we all see Ben Long this year and what sort of improvements to his game do we want from him over the preseason?

Here’s an interesting one. Where do we all see Ben Long this year and what sort of improvements to his game do we want from him over the preseason?
He is depth unless he can improve his consistency.

Goes missing, won't touch the ball for extended periods. He's unreliable, reckless but great in bursts and seems to give a sh*t, which is a lot more than others at times.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably continues to play the small forward role he played in the back end.

Needs to impact the game more, find more footy. He goes missing too much.

His pressure game was quite good when moved forward.

Longy has the tools to go up another step, needs to play a more consistent game, definitely needs to get more self-discipline.. focus more on the ball and not the man.

as a small forward he needs to kick goals. if he cannot kick more goals then lonie, he might also find himself out of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having been a supporter of Longy's over the journey I can say that I see him at Sandy for the bulk or entirety of the season.
However, it's worth noting that last season the inclusion of Long and Dmac had a tangible positive effect over the more fancied options. We here tend to preference our best 22 on talent and stats accumulation, but with these two it's their hardness, commitment, 1%'s and the effect on those around them that sets them apart.
Since Longy thrived as a lose defender in 2020 but was superseded by Sinclair, there's no question over his ability if given a roll that suits his qualities.
The side question to the one you've posed is: Can the coaches now develop a method of getting the best from him? If not, I fear he'll become the next incarnation of Nick Hind and probably at the bloody Bombers too.

Longy has the tools to go up another step, needs to play a more consistent game, definitely needs to get more self-discipline.. focus more on the ball and not the man.
Would like to see him play midfield at sandy,as not in my best 22 atm

Long and Kent (and probably Wood, if fit) are about 28/29/30 in line for a spot in the team, IMO. Assuming they’re ahead of the main 3 we just drafted.

Tend to agree, although the pecking order can sometimes change during the preseason. If our list is not afflicted by abnormal rates of injury next year, we will have very good competition for spots.

I think Longy tried to modify his game last year to avoid getting suspended, but modified it too much and couldn't find the footy. If we can get him playing with aggression that goes up to the line but not over it, he makes us a much better team. In 2020, you could see opponents crap themselves just knowing that Longy was in the vicinity.

Long , Geary , D Mac will be a big help at Sandy and hopefully Ross joins them soon , Wood was just starting to play some really good footy until he got injured and now that Sharman got his chance Wood will most likely join the boys at Sandy and with Gresh coming back Kent maybe out as well.

Improve his tank, learn how to find some cheap ball and stay involved. He can certainly play and has the tools to be a very good player but if it doesn’t click this year his papers might be stamped. Pressure forward or maybe some tagging jobs, always kills it in the preseason games so if he plays early he needs to fire or sandy it is.

Long , Geary , D Mac will be a big help at Sandy and hopefully Ross joins them soon , Wood was just starting to play some really good footy until he got injured and now that Sharman got his chance Wood will most likely join the boys at Sandy and with Gresh coming back Kent maybe out as well.

I don't know, I really like D Mac as that hard running, physically tough, disciplined wingman, especially now that he has tidied up his kicking. He's the type of player that coaches value higher than the public does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back