Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I see Jimmy Webster in a sling in one of the recent photos? If so....poor bloke had been through the injury wringer!

Did I see Jimmy Webster in a sling in one of the recent photos? If so....poor bloke had been through the injury wringer!

Looked like it was just the gear that holds his gps tracking device. I didn’t take that he was injured from that photo.

I hope so. We could use his elite pace and creativity in our forward line.

I am also getting some really positive vibes about Jack Peris, which is unexpected, as it sounds like he is relishes the contact. Even that footage of Jack getting clobbered by Marshall I can see a wry smile wash across his face after the contact is made but before he hits the ground. Which suggests to me he has an appetite for contact! He obviously needs to bring more than that to the game, but it is a characteristic that is nigh on impossible to teach youngsters. You either have it or you don't quite.
Jack is still just a bub, just scraped in to this years age group.
Plenty of time to come good.

903635.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 19: Josiah Kyle (right) and Jack Steele of the Saints in action during the St Kilda Saints training session at RSEA Park on January 19, 2022 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)
Good size isn't he? Hopefully a few of these boys are regulars this year. We need a bit more pace.

I am talking aaabout Kyle here.

Windhager looks the pick of them to me. Man's build, injured just as he started to show what he could do, multiple positions etc.

I hope so. We could use his elite pace and creativity in our forward line.

I am also getting some really positive vibes about Jack Peris, which is unexpected, as it sounds like he is relishes the contact. Even that footage of Jack getting clobbered by Marshall I can see a wry smile wash across his face after the contact is made but before he hits the ground. Which suggests to me he has an appetite for contact! He obviously needs to bring more than that to the game, but it is a characteristic that is nigh on impossible to teach youngsters. You either have it or you don't quite.
Someone mentioned before he had a rugby league background?

903660.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 19: Tom Campbell of the Saints is seen during the St Kilda Saints training session at RSEA Park on January 19, 2022 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

Tom Campbell is setting the standards on the training track obviously.

Doing intensive preseason workouts on blistering summer days wearing your wooly jumper is hardcore

Watched Saints train at Sandy today, couple of match sims. Not much stood out to be honest...as you would expect all the players looked pretty fit and moving well but I am sure you'd say that about most lists this time of year. Higgins probably the standout in the sim I watched. King didn't make too many mistakes when he got his hands on. Josiah Kyle did not do much at all but when he did get it he looks an absolutely sublime kick. Ryder and Marshall both looked to be running well.

Tom Campbell is setting the standards on the training track obviously.

Doing intensive preseason workouts on blistering summer days wearing your wooly jumper is hardcore

That pic looks like A Current Affair just turn up to some dodgy tradesman's house to confront him about charging little old ladies $1500 to replace three tiles.

Training Report - 21/01/2021 Trevor Barker Oval

1Made the odd skill error which is to be expected at this stage of pre-season, but is a huge unit. Huge year for the Coff as he will have competition for a spot.
3Looks super fit, and his zip around packs was very noticeable.
4Good to see him back. He did this unbelievable pirouette/spin which was unbelievable to watch and demonstrates that he is well and truly over his achilles injury. He has genuine x factor, and despite the occasional errant kick he is so important for us. Finished the session doing some running drills.
5Didn't really notice him that much but maybe that was because in the match sim he was on the yellow team which was the weaker of the two.
6Didn't really notice him
7Did not train
8The stand out. Looks fit AF!! I'm tipping him to have a huge season. Unbelievable runner and such great ball use. Looks like he'll be lining at HBF again this year.
9Steele doing Steele things. Looks driven. Such a perfectionist and sets amazing standards for teammates.
10Did not train
11The most skillful player on the list. Oozed class and everything he did looked effortless. Looks fit, and I'm tipping this to be his break-out season where he elevates himself to the next level.
12Looks super fit, and moved so well. Many of the drills were focused on him leading out towards the ball carrier. Thought he led a bit too wide a few times and found himself marking the ball in the pocket and on a very tight angle. Seems like they want him to lead out a lot more, and not just sit in the goal square trying to take one-on-one contested marks.
13Picked up from where he left off last year. Trained with the midfield group and looked very good.
14Did not train
15Lined up on a HFF, pushing up to the wing. JB always trains well and has undoubted skill. Time to take his training form into games.
16Looked great and was involved in everything. Loves being involved and having the ball in his hands. Looks very strong.
17This kid was the stand out of our new recruits. Has a bit of presence about him and I was surprised at how physically developed he is. I'm tipping he will be the first of our new recruits to debut.
18Looks super fit, and covered the ground easily. Seems happy and super relaxed.
19Same as Paddy. Looked super fit and his skills are just amazing for such a big man. Makes the game look easy and it's obvious that his team mates love him.
20Spent some time training with the forwards. His leadership skills are so obvious.
21Did not train
22Stood out, and was involved in pretty much everything in the match sim. Always in the right spot to receive the ball close to goal. Such a smart forward.
23Didn't really notice him but like the others, looks super fit.
24Is a big unit, but in my opinion we won't see him this year as his game still needs development, particularly his kicking which is efficient, but might get a bit messy under pressure.
25Did not train
26Trained with the defenders and matched up on King a few times and did quite well. For a guy that is quite skillful, he made a couple of skill errors when trying to hit easy targets.
27Did not train
28Moved well and is such a difficult match up for defenders with his combination of height and agility.
30Trained really well and with some presence. Great height and his trunk/lower body looks really strong. Needs to build strength in his upper body but such a great size. CHB is his for the taking.
32Didn't really notice him
33Participated in drills, but not in the match sim. Good to see him back up and running. I don't expect to see him in the early rounds but maybe from round 7 onwards.
34Didn't really notice him.
35Has found his spot at HBF, and his kicking skills and decision making are unbelievable. Along with Hill, we could have one of the most damaging HB lines in the competition.
36One thing I noticed is that he has really worked on his kicking and I don't think he missed a target today. One of my personal favorites and good on Ratts for backing him in.
37Looks to have put on a bit more size and was more physical, particularly in some of the close in contested work but didn't shy away from them.
38Did not train
39Played on King and did a really good job. Such a strong competitor, he definitely deserves to be on the list, albeit as a back up.
42Really tall, but lacks any physical presence. Looked like he was struggling to run out the session. No doubt he is a long term prospect, but has good skills for a big man as he proved un the U18 competition.
43Didn't really notice him that much, but I think he's the kind of guy that saves his best for games. Doesn't look like he's put on a lot of size though.
44Mr. Reliable
45Ran laps and I overheard him telling someone that he suffered a mild concussion.
46He did a couple of things that were special. Has X factor and explosive pace. He ran down someone (forgot who it was) starting from at least 5 meters behind and in the blink of an eye he had closed the gap and laid a tackle. Need to be patient as he is very slight, but I think he could turn out to be a special talent.

Watched Saints train at Sandy today, couple of match sims. Not much stood out to be honest...as you would expect all the players looked pretty fit and moving well but I am sure you'd say that about most lists this time of year. Higgins probably the standout in the sim I watched. King didn't make too many mistakes when he got his hands on. Josiah Kyle did not do much at all but when he did get it he looks an absolutely sublime kick. Ryder and Marshall both looked to be running well.
Kyle outstanding run down and tackle from behind on Coffield
Windhager running along boundary with the better runners including Wood. Looks very fit, easy running style, good endurance,stayed with them.
Sharman lacking in confidence
Gresh and Clarke look good
DMac good kicking skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training Report - 21/01/2021 Trevor Barker Oval
An absolutely fantastic report there lace out.....well done.

I think it every pre-season but I'm getting quite excited.........we appear to have a very balanced list.

Come on injury gods...........pretend we're Melb for 2022........give us a break(bad choice of word).......

LOL.
Who’d realise that this morning’s crowd of 5 would consist of 4 BF posters plus 1 stray?

I had a gap in my schedule so I spent an hour at TBBO this morning but left before the match sim.
The hour was split into three:
20 minutes warm ups,
20 minutes backs v forwards, and mids by themselves,
20 minutes practicing in 2 lots of 20 (odd).

The backs v forwards consisted of two groups practicing movement into, and defence of, a high ball into the F50. The two groups rotated, one set waiting on the goal line, the other practicing.

Mids were at the other end of the ground, practicing ball movement. Notable inclusions in this group were Clark and Owen.

The last 20 minutes involved each group of 20 (odd) split up with the intent to work the ball from one end of a defined area to the other, handball only, tackling encouraged. Ball possession was penalised with the new rules.

As with any first look of a new season, my eyes were primarily focused on differences. So the following are impressions only.

Crouch is seriously cut.
Gresham is in excellent condition.
Clark must be a Goth given his pasty complexion. Anyone waiting for him to bulk up is wasting their time: his body shape has not altered in his five years so what you see now is what you are going to get.
Byrnes stood out. Very busy.
Sharman showed some serious good moves, particularly in traffic.
Allison stood him a couple of times and beat him, and Allison is getting a great shape for himself.
Owens was not so much a stand out. Quite tall.
Windhager will be good. gringo2011 better claim him now before someone gets in before you. He kicked a very nice joe the goose.
Kyle has that wonderful, classical Indigenous body shape.
Gilbert McAdam like.
He wasn’t getting a lot of the ball, but not for lack of leading
NWM didn’t train and Peris only ran laps.
If Peris is still with us in a couple of years, that kid is going to grow into the perfect body shape. He’s a kid now but boy, you can see that he’s got great genes.

But, Ephemeral Hope , the one that I want to talk about is Heath.

He is the tallest on the list. By some margin.
He is not a lumbering giant, showed some speed and agility.
So he’s not a Billy Longer.
Tall, but not well built yet.
He has a good frame that will be great after a couple of seasons.
However what struck my eye was his dexterity in that last drill.
He’d get the ball, either avoid or take the tackle, but keep his hands clear for the handball.
No idea if he is ready for AFL at this stage, I would want to see more of him.
Particularly his spring.
But at least he has a sense of the game.
Which is what you’re looking for in a development ruck.

If you have any questions about particular players, I will endeavour to respond. But some of them, I just didn’t notice. Not for lack of interest, more because I was focusing on other things.

PS: Jack Hayes should get a gig. Not particularly quick but a Jason Blake style utility.

Great to hear about Dan doing a good job at not participating.
I fully expect his non-participation this year to be amongst the standout non-participation of his career.
He's an excellent role model and i hope that all the young kids use him as a excellent example of how not to participate.

Thanks for the training reports everyone.

Great to hear Gresh is back and moving well. Windy seems bloody exciting. Our forward half could be pretty dangerous if he comes on with Higgins, Butler and JB.

Good to hear Allison is improving.

Just a question - with JB at half forward and Hill at half back, who was starting on the wings during the match sim?

From Saintsational again. Saintmike65 did the last training report I posted. Seems to double up most of what others have covered but a few interesting opinions.

Approximately 40 players were split into 2 groups, with the main senior guys wearing black jumpers and others in yellow.
Interestingly, Windhager was with the black jumper group, perhaps a reward for his impressive recent training performances.
He was again prominent today, a beautiful mover with poise and class...very excited to see what he'll bring this year and into the future.
The training was fiercely competitive, with a high concentration on high pressure, in close scenarios, combined with a LOT of running.
Had a brief chat with Ernie Merrick, seems like a lovely bloke.

PLAYERS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:

JOSH BATTLE - I was impressed by his movement, plus his aggression and second efforts...looks like he intends to make his defensive role his own.
A spoil he did up against Max King was very effective and won appreciation from his teammates.

TOM HIGHMORE - Very creative with his run, being a link between defense and midfield.

NICK COFFIELD - Looks determined to put an up and down 2021 behind him...more aggressive today at the ball and body.

JACK HIGGINS - I'm a huge Jack Higgins fan and he lit it up today with his creativity and aerial ability...THE outstanding player on the track no doubt is in for a special year!

JACK SINCLAIR - has lost nothing in the off season, his run and carry plus his ball use was great.

RYAN BYRNES - reckon he'll surprise some people this year, his run was impressive, and generally made the right decisions...got the feeling he's gone past Jack Bytel.

JADE GRESHAM - in great Nick and moving really well...fingers crossed for a full season.

MAX KING - Breakout season looming for Max after showing glimpses last year...If he stays on the park, reckon he'll king 60+

ROWAN MARSHALL - Looking in ripping shape and moving very well...looks a bit stronger in the upper body!

DAN McKENZIE - I must confess I wasn't a fan of DMac, however, he's won me over...He was always courageous and good in the air, with good endurance but now has added much better decision making and ball use.

***As a footnote, Jack Hayes has done everything that would have been asked of him and I would be stunned if he's not added to the list.

From what I’ve seen of Hayes admittedly only highlights he reminds of Oscar Allen. Doesn’t seem super quick or that he has any stand out traits but he has a way of just becoming a talented player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back