Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to hear that Hill wants to play half-back when he was recruited to play as a wingman. I wonder where does that leave Coff, Connolly etc. They can't all play as HBFs. $900k is a lot of money we spent on him to play halfback.
Coffield doesn’t compete with him for the half back spot. They play a different type of half back. Connolly on a wing would be interesting

Not saying he isn't professional, and him being willing to go on the HBF where he found form shows he is willing to do whatever is best for the team, but when the chips are down 3 points up in a GF would he be willing to put his body over the ball or hesitate for a split second?

I don't know.
That's a weird statement for mine. Like, EVERY player would be throwing themselves in when within touching distance of a flag..
It's the commitment when 5 goals down in round 2 to butter up and roll up the sleeves that have been the problem with Hill for me.
Paycheques aren't really a big concern of mine either, its the players on the paddock that make the difference, not what they get paid.

So is there any real passion to win another flag after three at the Hawks and 900k at the Saints which is like a retirement fund?

Why would he have any passion for the Saints, he is a mercenary and the ONLY reason he came to us was the big pay packet.

Not saying he isn't professional, and him being willing to go on the HBF where he found form shows he is willing to do whatever is best for the team, but when the chips are down 3 points up in a GF would he be willing to put his body over the ball or hesitate for a split second?

I don't know.

e8a392511f94fae23b0f185f42a0b38a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a weird statement for mine. Like, EVERY player would be throwing themselves in when within touching distance of a flag..
It's the commitment when 5 goals down in round 2 to butter up and roll up the sleeves that have been the problem with Hill for me.
Paycheques aren't really a big concern of mine either, its the players on the paddock that make the difference, not what they get paid.
We’ve seen him smother the ball and do the 1%era more this last season. He’s improved heaps.

Was just thinking about this. He did it quite a few times and every time the crowd was pleasantly surprised, you could hear it.

I was at that game. There were a lot of things to applaud, but aside from Hunter Clark’s two goals, this smother was the one which I applauded for the most. I am definitely backing in Hill for next year, and IMO it’s equally between him and the coaches to decide which position he plays.

We can win when Hill’s playing adequately, so we only have more to gain when he’s playing well. And this tends to get lost, but he’s had a fair few good games for us now. 2021 was a rough year for a lot of our players - not just Brad. Forget about the 900K crap, it’s done! That’s on the club, and I don’t get the impression that Hill’s taking advantage of that or doesn’t have passion. For all our sakes though, who wouldn’t want to see him performing at his best for us?

Anyways, lots of other exciting pre-season narratives going into 2022. I’m keeping an eye of 2017 trio of Clark, Paton and Coff-season.

Last edited:
I was at that game. There were a lot of things to applaud, but aside from Hunter Clark’s two goals, this smother was the one which I applauded for the most. I am definitely backing in Hill for next year, and IMO it’s equally between him and the coaches to decide where he plays.
They’re very likely waiting to see what happens in the draft. Might be a player they want to start off on a wing or HF/HB line

So is there any real passion to win another flag after three at the Hawks and 900k at the Saints which is like a retirement fund?

Why would he have any passion for the Saints, he is a mercenary and the ONLY reason he came to us was the big pay packet.

I don't know.
The better the rest of the team gets, the less he'll be able to get away with it.
At some point if his form remains poor Ratts will have to take action or risk Lethers bringing out the big stick at the end of the year.

If Hill plays half back, then that opens more time in the midfield for Hunter Clark and there's less of a reason to play him at half back.

Hill's dash and speed off half back was really damaging in the 2nd half of the year, and a lot of our better wins came off the back of him getting the ball in his hands. Hopefully he can learn some better defensive craft over the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

e8a392511f94fae23b0f185f42a0b38a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For every one smother, there are a dozen weak efforts. Hill is a major disappointment and there is no getting around it. 900k for a Half back Flanker :rolleyes:

In saying that I don't blame Hill, he is cream on top, now the grunt worker. I blame the starry eyed 'experts' at the club who were willing to sell the farm for a bloke looking to consolidate after a successful career.

Ripping bloke is Hill by the way. Nicer more friendly bloke you would never meet.

We’ve seen him smother the ball and do the 1%era more this last season. He’s improved heaps.

Unfortunately both were in that one GIF and it was still 100% improvement on the previous season.

Fortunately I think they are serious this year lol

We hear it every year, time to stop talking and start doing. Ratts looks fitter, he needs to get our new fat campaigner fitness bloke on his amphetamine diet or what ever he's doing.

We hear it every year, time to stop talking and start doing. Ratts looks fitter, he needs to get our new fat campaigner fitness bloke on his amphetamine diet or what ever he's doing.

Would not be hard to train harder than last preseason

I don't know.
I hear what you're saying but then if we're in that position in the 2022 GF* I suspect he's earnt his money for the year to be part of getting us that far So yeah I reckon he would. A premiership later on in his career with Paddy would give as much drive as not being 100% because he's got 3 in his bag already.

*Following years are way too far off to consider how player x would perform action y at time z I reckon.

I agree with you and said it many times, sick of the talk too. But they rehashed the high performance team and a lot of the blokes who don't need to be back yet are already back. That's actions to me, and that's good.

Brad Hill vent thread v8.6 🙄

He can’t play on the wing at Marvel Stadium. The space is too confined. Been saying itsince I first head the rumours. We need guys who can compete on the ground and in the air on the wings so preferably 190+ runners.
McKenzie whilst not that tall is great in the air and his competitiveness is perfect for the role. Owens who is a similar player will be ideal.
Having said that if we play a final at Optus or the G I’d be playing Bradley on te he wing 100%

Hill will play where he best helps the team to win. We can stick him on the wing and he does nothing or we can stick him at HB where he can actually influence games. Can think of quite a few attacking half backs that have been a huge part of premiership teams. Teams started tagging him when he went to half back last year so maybe they thought he was half decent.

Hill doesn't defend well enough to be a full-time HB. It also doesn't utilize his running capacity enough. His best footy at Fremantle was played at the wing, and it should be the same with the Saints.
Hill is good with the ball, but not a strong enough body player in contests to get it himself, and that's not a good thing if you play in defence. Put him on a wing or run him on the ball for parts of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back