Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Really can't see him getting a game if we are injury free

I agree he played his whole career just about as a wingman and produced his best football there and now we want him as a halfback flanker.
We got him as a wingman and it's up to him to perform in that position , playing as a flanker and picking up the easy disposals is not the reason he is on big money.
We are flush with backmen and we don't need a guy who has never been great defensively.
Sorry but that's my opinion.
we moved him to Hb to hide him, he was gifted games 1 st half of the year and he should of been dropped early in the year
Dont apologise for having an opinion Buddy

From what I've seen his best football for the Saints is off half back. It seems insane to just put him back on the wing and expect it to suddenly start working. I think he can be a matchwinner off half back.
His game against Collingwood at half back was elite. If he can do that regularly, then who cares what other position he has played.

Really can't see him getting a game if we are injury free

I agree he played his whole career just about as a wingman and produced his best football there and now we want him as a halfback flanker.
It’s not that we “want him as a halfback flanker”, it’s simply that he’s played a year and a half on the wing for us and was generally rubbish, but was then far far better when moved to HB.

So it doesn’t matter if he was the best wingman in the history of the world prior to coming to us, if he’s no good there with us now- for whatever reason- and way better off HB.

If that continues to be the case, he will and should stay across HB.

Ultimately we’d prefer him to get back to his very best on the wing, but I for one won’t be losing any sleep over it if he makes say the AA team playing across HB and being the “spitter” off the back of the square after centre bounces.

With Billings going to the half forward flank and Hill to the halfback flank who's our wingmen
Not sure - any of DMac, Ross, Clark, Hanners, NWM, Owens could all be possibilities. Maybe Jones spends time there as part of the midfield rotation.

But if he is playing better and contributing more as a half back then a wing, why not keep him there?

It's going to be interesting how the side lines up.
Hoping Ratts and his team are brave with selection and dont just go the ultra safe option

With Billings going to the half forward flank and Hill to the halfback flank who's our wingmen
Fitness and form pending, the preferences would presumably be Hannebery, Ross, Clark, D-Mac and Byrnes, and Jones and presumably Billings will rotate through there as well.

If Paton comes back well I’d like to see us try Jimmy on the wing (on the track and VFL at least). It’s where he played a lot of his footy in the juniors and his top 10 finishes in the time trials suggest he has the endurance to play there, plus he has the speed and kicking skills you’d like there.

I don’t see why he couldn’t be like a more skillful version of D-Mac there.

You really don't think his best value for the team would be playing wing like he did for the hawks when he won flag and AA selection
He has played his whole career as a wingman apart from 10 games
Insane to expect him to play in the position we gave up a king ransom for ?
It's insane because we've found the position where he plays best in our side. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

There are plenty of good wingmen that went to half back and were excellent there. David Wirrpanda a great example. Maybe that's just where Hill is at at this stage of his career. It doesn't matter what we signed him for or what he's paid it matters how we get the most out of him.

Exactly this.
He was brought in to fill a position and to do it at an elite level. We have Jweb, Pato, Coff, Sincs, Connolly and a few others that can play the HB roll perfectly well. Get on the ******* wing and do your ******* job Bradley.

I'd rather get something out of him than nothing. He was terrible on a wing. He wouldn't be in the side if he'd stayed as a wingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather get something out of him than nothing. He was terrible on a wing. He wouldn't be in the side if he'd stayed as a wingman.
He was ok at Hb, wasn't even the the best HB in the team, whether its wing or HB he needs to be a lot better than he has been the last 2 years

I don't really care about the money now - it's a done deal. But we got him in for outside run on the wing and elite ball use I50, which we still need and that's his best spot. Both himself and the coaches should be finding a way to maximise the output. The other thing is he is a liability defensively and I think someone like Coff could be a much better hbf than Hill if we let him settle, but we're moving him to play a deeper defensive role to try and get some value out of Hill and then complaining that Coff hasn't been that good. Even Highmore could be a weapon floating across intercepting on 1 flank with Sincs on the other

Coff seems an intercepting spare type who plays flat footed. Hill does at least run to provide options. The weird thing is that we had Savage and Hind capable of playing the running back role and we chose a more accountable set up with Paton as a close checking small and Clark as a distributor. Now we have Hill playing there.

He was ok at Hb, wasn't even the the best HB in the team, whether its wing or HB he needs to be a lot better than he has been the last 2 years

He's still a good player off hbf. As a wing he was non existent.

You really don't think his best value for the team would be playing wing like he did for the hawks when he won flag and AA selection
He has played his whole career as a wingman apart from 10 games
Insane to expect him to play in the position we gave up a king ransom for ?

A seagull can't cook his own chips. They had players capable of feeding him.

Coff seems an intercepting spare type who plays flat footed.
The weird thing about that is that in the juniors he would use his speed to break the lines and weave his way through traffic and all that, yet with us he just seems to stand there, intercept the ball and then give it off, off a step or two.

Hopefully now that we have Highmore and Wilkie (and perhaps Battle) who can play that type role we’ll get Coff to trim down a little, get much fitter and start to use his legs and speed much more. Something I remember Ratts saying during this latest season we wanted him to do more of (“use his legs”).

At his combine he recorded a sub-2.90 second 20m sprint, which is seriously moving (faster than speed demons like Jetta, Rohan, D-Mac, etc), so it’s like this weapon he has, but just doesn’t use.

We need him to become a better kicking version of 2009/2010 Gilbo.

He would take intercept marks galore (and took a total of 196 marks in 2010), but would also break the lines with his run and carry.

Coff has the attributes to be able to do that as well. But with much better kicking obviously.

My 2c on Hill - and two points.

I think he is a victim of the way the game is played now. With the stand rule, it's much harder to press through the middle of the ground and teams were getting picked apart through short kicking, so a lot of intercepting occurs in the D50 where the ground shortens (it's why I50 is the hardest kick in football). It's easier to receive the ball in this situation (D50 intercept) with the game in front of you and provide that line breaking run, instead of working back into space from the wing to be that next hit-up kick, which we never really got going with Hill.

Which gets to my second point. There are two types of wingmen (well there are more, but alas) - those who run the length of the ground and those that hold their position. Hill needs to be that guy running the length. We need him to gut run and push back into D50 to receive and start these chains, but also link up and be that I50 kick. It's less important IMO for him to be holding his space out on the wing and be that target. He should be within 10m of wherever the ball is and use his pace and hands, not be a marking target.

Good idea, stopped it falling in your eyes when you were up on the cross. You can only blow it out of your eyes so many times before you wish you'd bought a hair-tie. On a side note, a guy that can turn water into wine but didn't turn his palm-nails into rubber-bands may have been trying his water/wine party trick way too often.
I preferr water into beer personally😊
And obsv. Jesus was a sadist😉
I have stigmated myself over 10 times now...
The last time was a clout nail into my leg whilst climbing down a ladder.
I have nailed myself to a cross shape in a stud wall frame before.... unintentionally fyi.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back