Training 2022 Pre Season

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
It'd be nice if Long did break out but I don't see why much will change now. He's not a natural accumulator of the ball and I don't see that changing. Don't see him getting close to a spot at half back, and as a forward, his strengths are too limited to defensive pressure.
But it would be nice.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
It'd be nice if Long did break out but I don't see why much will change now. He's not a natural accumulator of the ball and I don't see that changing. Don't see him getting close to a spot at half back, and as a forward, his strengths are too limited to defensive pressure.

Very overrated footballer. Could not draw you a footy.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
He was the stand out in the 2020 pre season it never really went on with it.

Hopefully something clicks for him this year. He's going to find it tough to find a spot.
Wasn't his 2020 season his best?
Unfortunately for Ben, Sincs has taken his spot since than and you're right that he'll find it hard to get a spot this year. I'd like to see him forced to accumulate in VFL. He's been one of those guys that always does poorly in the 2's but get a spot in the 1's due to injuries and what have you. He's never really been in the gun till this year but if he could sort out that one thing he's become pretty valuable IMHO.

Very overrated footballer. Could not draw you a footy.

He is a hard nut, and doesn’t mind hitting people at pace, albeit often clumsily. Also good in the air although he doesn’t fly near as much as he should.

I think his tackling contested appetite has a place in a forward line. Unfortunately I just don’t see him as a goal kicker, which is why I would put him behind others.

Things can change though and there is enough there for him to refine his game and make it more Dan Butler like.

We need him to be either tackling or snapping on goal or creating a path to goal.

He was the stand out in the 2020 pre season it never really went on with it.

Hopefully something clicks for him this year. He's going to find it tough to find a spot.

I wouldn't have though he needed to trim down?
Me either , i don't think his weight has ever been a problem and in any case how could you tell he has lost weight in that photo

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I miss the ross lyon days where they wouldn't touch a football until february.

Not.
I don't - they've grown up with a football in their hands, if they can't kick or handball by now they shouldn't be on the list.

If anyone has learnt anything from last years efforts its that right now - we need running running running and more running!!!!

Last edited:
He is a hard nut, and doesn’t mind hitting people at pace, albeit often clumsily. Also good in the air although he doesn’t fly near as much as he should.

I think his tackling contested appetite has a place in a forward line. Unfortunately I just don’t see him as a goal kicker, which is why I would put him behind others.

Things can change though and there is enough there for him to refine his game and make it more Dan Butler like.

We need him to be either tackling or snapping on goal or creating a path to goal.
Because he has knocked over a few at times some fall in love with him but IMO he is way overrated on here, this year may be his last

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Happy new year folks. 👍

I don’t think he’s particularly close to our best team, but the thing in Long’s favour is that in our likely best 22, Butler is the only one that resembles a “pressure forward”.

If we have King, Roma, Skunk, Sharman, Gresh, Billings, Higgins and Butler in the team and playing mainly forward, it looks distinctly short on forward pressure, which is vital in modern footy.

Will be one of the fascinating things to watch as the season progresses.

Rumblestrip

Draftee
Oct 15, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
It is often said that players have break out years when the reach around 60 games. If there is any truth in this, then any or all of Ben Long , Nick Coffield, Hunter Clark, Jack Higgins, Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie, Dan McKenzie and Rowan Marshall could be big improvers this year. Although the last 3 may have already got there.

Boys on saints tv said he was one of the real standout at training before Christmas. Think he might of had a bit of a kick up the bum last year and knows this year is make or break. Got so much talent, I hope he can get back and exceed his 2020 form
Showed some greenshoots playing lonies defencive fwd small fwd role.

Tbh you can see it the problem is consistency. Hes a bit like dmac before his break out year.

I think he needs confidence. Once it clicks he will be a player.

I like Long down back - bit hard with Webster/Paton competing
You can see the oppo take some very short steps when he is around which is why I think playing him as a defencive fwd will allow some loose balls to the likes of Higgins Gresham Billings Butler etc.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
You can see the oppo take some very short steps when he is around which is why I think playing him as a defencive fwd will allow some loose balls to the likes of Higgins Gresham Billings Butler etc.
Pretty hard to fit Higgo, Butler, Billings, Gresh, Byrnes and Long in the same line-up though.
Will be depth I would think, which isnt a bad thing as fair chance their will be times where players will have to sit out.
Will need to take his chance when he gets it (as like all of them)

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Me either , i don't think his weight has ever been a problem and in any case how could you tell he has lost weight in that photo
Jeez man he looks slim in the photo. Maybe his weight has been an issue..? I definitely think his fitness has been an issue.

He's hardly overrated, he seems to trigger some supporters (IE you) but he's a fringe player that could come good a la DMac. Don't see the harm in trying to garner some excitement about a guy that has shown glimpses in the past. His skills are better than most on our list, he can take a speccy, he's hard as a cats head. He has the tools to make it.

It feels like he has been around for a long time but Ben Long is also sitting right in that 60 game window where players can just click and move to the next level.

Jeez man he looks slim in the photo. Maybe his weight has been an issue..? I definitely think his fitness has been an issue.

He's hardly overrated, he seems to trigger some supporters (IE you) but he's a fringe player that could come good a la DMac. Don't see the harm in trying to garner some excitement about a guy that has shown glimpses in the past. His skills are better than most on our list, he can take a speccy, he's hard as a cats head. He has the tools to make it.

He has below average football smarts and often makes poor decisions. Not in our best 30.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
He has below average football smarts and often makes poor decisions. Not in our best 30.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
In 2020 he was best 22 and we made finals. Probably not in our best 30 now but he has the tools to be good and has actually shown that.

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

It is a make or break year for Long. I get the frustration about his ability to find the footy but he is one of the few players on our list that only needs a couple of touches to have a massive impact. My main concern is his brain fades, does some seriously stupid s**t out there. Really needs to fix up his decision making and discipline.

I feel it’s all about confidence with Longy though, a move to the forward line could really be the awesome for him. Simplify his role, just pressure, hit campaigners and fly your marks (underrated aerialist) like in this highlight package.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

It is a make or break year for Long. I get the frustration about his ability to find the footy but he is one of the few players on our list that only needs a couple of touches to have a massive impact. My main concern is his brain fades, does some seriously stupid sh*t out there. Really needs to fix up his decision making and discipline.

I feel it’s all about confidence with Longy though, a move to the forward line could really be the awesome for him. Simplify his role, just pressure, hit campaigners and fly your marks (underrated aerialist) like in this highlight package.

It's funny that Long and Battle from the same draft year have been basically mismanaged and thrown about the place with little plan for their progression.
I still have faith in both, but can our coaches find the right use for them is a significant question mark.

Back