Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny, because he was touted as such a brilliant development man at Port and the first year he left they crashed; they were bemoaning the fact that he was the success behind Hinkley. What the hell happened….the minute he came to us he turned into a lemon.
He was not touted as a brilliant development man at Port. He was head of footy there for a short time and before that he was a journey-man at a few clubs in different rolls. He did absolutely nothing of note as a professional except be a "good bloke" which amounts to SFA if you're intending on being successful.

As a rebuilding club StKilda picked out a brief period in his career and spun the highly respected Richo who had once served as a development coach at some stage in the past, into "the highly respected development coach Allen Richardson" in the same way that McDonald's advertised %100 Australian Beef whilst serving us imported dog meat bought from %100 Australian Beef Pty Ltd.

Irrespective of Port's issues, Richo has been nothing special his whole career. He's a football person, but more of a public servant or admin boob and nothing of a leader or developer. If he ever had an original thought he's probably call an ambulance or hide in the toilet for a long while. Who knows what he actually does at Melbourne, but with Choco there l don't think he's top of the development team, possibly in charge of refilling the staplers or minding the pot-plants.

The hard part is to admit you got fooled by some really basic media spin. We all like to think we're pretty savvy but the truth is we're all desperate for any sign of hope and will swallow just about anything if it gives us a moment's comfort.
If you have any lingering doubts, jump on youtube and watch his post gamers until you start looking for sharp objects to stab yourself in the ears with. Note at that point his dull monotonous repartee isn't a product of any strategic media diversion, but a simple matter of the best he's got at that point in time.
We all got taken in. There's no shame in it. Just let go, then realise that if you strip the adornments from a Mr Potatohead, what you're left with is just a potato that was always there in the first place if not for you being deceived by some glasses and an oversized mustache.
Your job is not to question, just pay your dues each year and STFU else wise. Richo was the 3 day work week or trickle down economics. Best not thought about too hard.

Well he was a best 22 player only 12 months ago. 2021 was a shocking year for him but he was very mismanaged including being way overused as the sub. Despite that he actually played some good footy at the end of the year as a forward, which is where I think he'll play this year and I think he will probably be best 22 as a forward at the start of this season.

Long played forward from round 15-20 last year and kicked 2 goals from those 6 games (between 75-82% TOG each game). I wouldn't say that's playing much good footy.

I'd have him ranked around 30th-35th on the list at the moment.

Long played forward from round 15-20 last year and kicked 2 goals from those 6 games (between 75-82% TOG each game). I wouldn't say that's playing much good footy.

I'd have him ranked around 30th-35th on the list at the moment.

Yeah it's impossible to defend him on stats. He's definitely got good qualities but unless he can display them more consistently then he's going to be up against it.

He was not touted as a brilliant development man at Port. He was head of footy there for a short time and before that he was a journey-man at a few clubs in different rolls. He did absolutely nothing of note as a professional except be a "good bloke" which amounts to SFA if you're intending on being successful.

As a rebuilding club StKilda picked out a brief period in his career and spun the highly respected Richo who had once served as a development coach at some stage in the past, into "the highly respected development coach Allen Richardson" in the same way that McDonald's advertised %100 Australian Beef whilst serving us imported dog meat bought from %100 Australian Beef Pty Ltd.

Irrespective of Port's issues, Richo has been nothing special his whole career. He's a football person, but more of a public servant or admin boob and nothing of a leader or developer. If he ever had an original thought he's probably call an ambulance or hide in the toilet for a long while. Who knows what he actually does at Melbourne, but with Choco there l don't think he's top of the development team, possibly in charge of refilling the staplers or minding the pot-plants.

The hard part is to admit you got fooled by some really basic media spin. We all like to think we're pretty savvy but the truth is we're all desperate for any sign of hope and will swallow just about anything if it gives us a moment's comfort.
If you have any lingering doubts, jump on youtube and watch his post gamers until you start looking for sharp objects to stab yourself in the ears with. Note at that point his dull monotonous repartee isn't a product of any strategic media diversion, but a simple matter of the best he's got at that point in time.
We all got taken in. There's no shame in it. Just let go, then realise that if you strip the adornments from a Mr Potatohead, what you're left with is just a potato that was always there in the first place if not for you being deceived by some glasses and an oversized mustache.
Your job is not to question, just pay your dues each year and STFU else wise. Richo was the 3 day work week or trickle down economics. Best not thought about too hard.
I think that we'd been burnt by the poison dwarf who worked against the board and was seen as machiavellian. Richo seemed a more basic bloke who would be more likely to burn the sausages than the clubs credibility.

Blokes saying he needs to touch the footy 20 times a game, do realise there is only so many possessions that go round in a side on game day. Not everyone can touch the ball.

If he is up forward, I would want to see his pressure rating. People saying Butler had a bad year last year because he didn't hit the scoreboard as much as 2020, but don't realise he was still in the top handful of pressure forwards in the comp.

IMO that should be his role. I don't care if he isn't hitting the scoreboard, so long as he is helping STK win the following stats on game day: F50 Tackles, F50 Stoppages, Pressure Rating, Score from Stoppages, Score from Turnovers - doesn't matter if he is the one kicking the goals or not, just want him contributing in this fashion.

I saw this on SS.
by Saintmike65
Training was held at an oval in Turner St. Highett.
Of the players that missed a fair chunk of footy last year, Marshall and Battle look in great shape and were super impressive on the track, with Battle covering the ground the best I've seen him, foot skills also noticeable either foot.
giphy - 2020-12-18T173222.703.gif

Gresham also looked very good, with his ball use by foot better than I remember...no up and unders!
Jones looked very sharp & no clangers by foot!!
Paton looked good, with his dual sided foot skills on show at various times.
tenor.gif

Ryder also looks fit but on the downside, Hannebery ran laps with Dean Kent, an all too familiar sight.

In one of the half ground drills, interesting matchups with Paton on Sharman, Battle on Membury Wilkie on King, and Webster on Butler...later on, Hayes was up against Paton.
Battle CHB!

giphy - 2020-10-24T211428.417.gif

Pretty excited about Windy. Got a cracking build and is obviously explosive, and is likely to have that agility and nous through congestion, due to the basketball background, plus his skills seem to be good.

Another one that could rotate between the forwardline and midfield down the track.

Might be like a bigger, better skilled version of Byrnes.

Pretty excited about Windy. Got a cracking build and is obviously explosive, and is likely to have that agility and nous through congestion, due to the basketball background, plus his skills seem to be good.

Another one that could rotate between the forwardline and midfield down the track.

Might be like a bigger, better skilled version of Byrnes.
I reckon he’s a bloody good chance to be in the seniors by round 5.

Blokes saying he needs to touch the footy 20 times a game, do realise there is only so many possessions that go round in a side on game day. Not everyone can touch the ball.

If he is up forward, I would want to see his pressure rating. People saying Butler had a bad year last year because he didn't hit the scoreboard as much as 2020, but don't realise he was still in the top handful of pressure forwards in the comp.

IMO that should be his role. I don't care if he isn't hitting the scoreboard, so long as he is helping STK win the following stats on game day: F50 Tackles, F50 Stoppages, Pressure Rating, Score from Stoppages, Score from Turnovers - doesn't matter if he is the one kicking the goals or not, just want him contributing in this fashion.
Fair enough but Longs problem is that he's not really great in any of the areas you mention so his possession rate is an issue.

He's not a lockdown defender, he doesn't score enough goals, his disposal isn't elite - so he needs to work out which part of his skillset will get him a game and work hard on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't his 2020 season his best?
Unfortunately for Ben, Sincs has taken his spot since than and you're right that he'll find it hard to get a spot this year. I'd like to see him forced to accumulate in VFL. He's been one of those guys that always does poorly in the 2's but get a spot in the 1's due to injuries and what have you. He's never really been in the gun till this year but if he could sort out that one thing he's become pretty valuable IMHO.
Yes it was his best season.

Unfortunately it still wasn't that great. Just solid.

It was nothing compared to the wraps he was getting for his pre season form

In regards to Ben Long not being best 22, not getting the numbers we all expect from him, maybe it’s because he sacrifices his game to do the team thing.
Jack Steele I’m sure is arguably our best tackling player by a country mile, so have compared one of his & Longs stats, supporters maybe just a little surprised.

1ACB3CE2-5839-47C8-9EF8-3C00D8ED5E50.jpeg 80410759-0257-429B-8D45-21004277E506.jpeg

I feel like not having many older gun leaders probably held back the development of some of our players. I'd say of the senior players that make young players from drafts 2013-2016 walk a bit taller we had Roo (2017), Joey (2017) and Armo (2019).
I remember Robert Harvey saying that he learned what it takes to get the most out of your football career from Trevor Barker and his work ethic. That is a legacy that has lasted well beyond Trevor's lifetime. This is a form of leadership that lasts and becomes culture. With Nick Riewoldt still having an influence at our club, and the raft of players, like Dal Santo and Joey who still contribute some of their wisdom, we can still bring that culture aspect to our club.

The club has brought in past players like Ross Smith (recently) to help this culture develop.

Past meets present: Ross Smith returns to Moorabbin for stirring address

St Kilda has called on the wisdom of 1966 premiership hero Ross Smith in a bid to reignite the club's push for an elusive second flag.

By Owen Leonard, AFL Media on Dec 21, 2021, 12:05pm

I think that we'd been burnt by the poison dwarf who worked against the board and was seen as machiavellian. Richo seemed a more basic bloke who would be more likely to burn the sausages than the clubs credibility.

The story at the time was that Richo had been second choice in the initial process ( when Watters was selected ) ,and that rather than go through it all again, they just told him the job was his if he wanted.
Makes you question the process i suppose.

The story at the time was that Richo had been second choice in the initial process ( when Watters was selected ) ,and that rather than go through it all again, they just told him the job was his if he wanted.
Makes you question the process i suppose.
Coming 2nd in any selection process behind Watters should have raised all kinds of alarm bells.

In regards to Ben Long not being best 22, not getting the numbers we all expect from him, maybe it’s because he sacrifices his game to do the team thing.
Jack Steele I’m sure is arguably our best tackling player by a country mile, so have compared one of his & Longs stats, supporters maybe just a little surprised.

View attachment 1311530 View attachment 1311531
So he is slightly better at 1% , he should be too as Jack is too busy getting the ball , Longy not so much

The thing is Jack steele is also the 2nd highest at the 1% efforts. Guess who’s first?
At a wild guess id say long since you said that in a previous message , are you saying he is best 22 because of his 1 % efforts ?

At a wild guess id say long since you said that in a previous message , are you saying he is best 22 because of his 1 % efforts ?
Think he is not as far back as some think, best 22? IMO very close.

Think he is not as far back as some think, best 22? IMO very close.
I just don't get why he has so many who think he is a good player , hasn't proven he can play back or forward , has average skills and just because he has taken the odd specky and knocked a few over he is a good player, Your right he is Close ,,, Close to being traded or delisted end of year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back