Training 2022 Pre Season

He had his arm wrapped up in the gps tracker vest. But it did look a bit odd. Hope he’s ok.

I think he was just mucking around a bit (surely if there was a real injury he’d have the arm in a proper sling)

Anyway, think I read he did train after all.

xR56Hzo.jpg

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Well considering I’m not getting into WA anytime soon I’m off to the USA mid-April. (Holding thumbs)

Are you to going to Cappadocia?
Yes doing the big loop, Istanbul to Gallipoli, across to Troy, along the Turquoise coast Pummakale, Konya and Cappadocia, then fly back down to the Torquoise coast for a week before flying home. Maybe stop and experience Doha for a day or two. We fly QATAR alot but have never stopped over in Doha.

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
903660.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 19: Tom Campbell of the Saints is seen during the St Kilda Saints training session at RSEA Park on January 19, 2022 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)
Good to see an stkilda city junior play for sainters. Brett bowey frank carbone bill mildenhall all city boys

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes doing the big loop, Istanbul to Gallipoli, across to Troy, along the Turquoise coast Pummakale, Konya and Cappadocia, then fly back down to the Torquoise coast for a week before flying home. Maybe stop and experience Doha for a day or two. We fly QATAR alot but have never stopped over in Doha.

Bozcaada was also a nice little place off the beaten path

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
How’s Joyce been going at training? Thought he showed a lot in the games he played last season, could become the key to letting Dougal roam.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
With full respect to Joyce, he did some nice things but still didn't look like he's ever going to be a first choice player.
With Battle shifting back, also Oscar Adams and Allison under development, Joyce probably stays on the list but remains in the 2's for his career.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
With full respect to Joyce, he did some nice things but still didn't look like he's ever going to be a first choice player.
With Battle shifting back, also Oscar Adams and Allison under development, Joyce probably stays on the list but remains in the 2's for his career.

As is the plight of 98.5% of all the Irish that play the game. Joyce seems to have a good head on his shoulders though. So many of the Irish guys go over with a big fish mentality, but soon find out that they're just another sardine in a big school. That's why so many get "homesick." I know a few guys over here playing GAA to a good level, but they really do think that they're going to walk straight into AFL clubs without much effort.
I think it comes as a big shock to them...the whining, whingeing, and bitching from them & the GAA when they return only exacerbates their unrealistic expectations of what they perceive their talents to be. Personally I would rather these rookie spots be given to Aussie guys that actually WANT and know how to play the game.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
As is the plight of 98.5% of all the Irish that play the game. Joyce seems to have a good head on his shoulders though. So many of the Irish guys go over with a big fish mentality, but soon find out that they're just another sardine in a big school. That's why so many get "homesick." I know a few guys over here playing GAA to a good level, but they really do think that they're going to walk straight into AFL clubs without much effort.
I think it comes as a big shock to them...the whining, whingeing, and bitching from them & the GAA when they return only exacerbates their unrealistic expectations of what they perceive their talents to be. Personally I would rather these rookie spots be given to Aussie guys that actually WANT and know how to play the game.
Yes I've thought the same for a while now. For the number of foreign players tried the success rate is clearly poor. The likes of Peris and Kyle are a far better chance.
I still think though that Darragh could stay on at minimum wage for 5 years if need be. He's still improving each time l see him.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes I've thought the same for a while now. For the number of foreign players tried the success rate is clearly poor. The likes of Peris and Kyle are a far better chance.
I still think though that Darragh could stay on at minimum wage for 5 years if need be. He's still improving each time l see him.

Yep, these small incremental gains from the Irish lads is about the best that can be hoped for. It's very rare that any of these guys come good. Athletically gifted...maybe. AFL players, highly unlikely and improbable. Joyce is okay as a back up, and he can fill a gap and play a role when others are down. The money, lifestyle, business and study prospects within the AFL system is far better compared to anything the GAA offer (which is nothing [supposedly]) Joyce seems to be liked by the boys, keeps his head down, and I daresay he knows a good thing when it's being offered. All he has to do is tick the boxes and he'll have a handy launch pad for the rest of his life.

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or does everyone else think that we have got worse and worse on the social media platform over the last 5 years. The club seem to hide stuff from its members and don’t give us much content. I’m not asking for the world, but just the odd interview with a player, say one of the draftees on how there going. What’s the latest with NWM? Supposedly hasn’t been seen on the track since the first week? Has he done a serious injury? I hope not. Even the jumper number stuff seems amateur hour. All of us already seem to know whose wearing what number next year due to our website being updated, how about they announce it with some pride like every other club? They probably still will try do it somehow, but for me it’s far to late. Also on numbers, it seems strange that Carlisle’s number 2 seems to be held vacant which is odd. Very rarely the club would do that to such a prestigious number. Three reasons I could possibly think of are:

1- have retired the number after spud?
2-Jack hayes gets the number? Highly doubt a rookie would get the 2 though.
3-they are saving it for a certain someone next year? Ben king anyone..

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or does everyone else think that we have got worse and worse on the social media platform over the last 5 years. The club seem to hide stuff from its members and don’t give us much content. I’m not asking for the world, but just the odd interview with a player, say one of the draftees on how there going. What’s the latest with NWM? Supposedly hasn’t been seen on the track since the first week? Has he done a serious injury? I hope not. Even the jumper number stuff seems amateur hour. All of us already seem to know whose wearing what number next year due to our website being updated, how about they announce it with some pride like every other club? They probably still will try do it somehow, but for me it’s far to late. Also on numbers, it seems strange that Carlisle’s number 2 seems to be held vacant which is odd. Very rarely the club would do that to such a prestigious number. Three reasons I could possibly think of are:

Couldn’t agree more we’ve been terrible. There was a period of time we were actually ok. Constant pre season updates, player interviews, half descent draft interviews. It’s frustrating because I’m possitive half of us here would volunteer our time and still be able to come up with 10 times the amount of content and quality. Don’t know where this lacklustre approach is coming from. Like you look at other teams like North/Doggies/Crows it’s much better.

We were good for about a year in 2014 but apart from that we’ve always been ordinary in that department and probably always will.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or does everyone else think that we have got worse and worse on the social media platform over the last 5 years. The club seem to hide stuff from its members and don’t give us much content. I’m not asking for the world, but just the odd interview with a player, say one of the draftees on how there going.

I'm told they ran out of cash for marketing stuff, they decided that with reduced cash from covid, they needed to focus on direct footballing expenses. Probably a good call tbh.

Back