Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t agree more we’ve been terrible. There was a period of time we were actually ok. Constant pre season updates, player interviews, half descent draft interviews. It’s frustrating because I’m possitive half of us here would volunteer our time and still be able to come up with 10 times the amount of content and quality. Don’t know where this lacklustre approach is coming from. Like you look at other teams like North/Doggies/Crows it’s much better.
We've pumped more money into the footy department, and left the SM department behind a bit from what I heard.

With the budget cuts, they are focused more on on field results than on line results

Training at Sandy again today. Just some random notes below.

First session I saw was backs vs forwards and at the same time there were some midfield drills going on in the centre. The midfield drills were not strongly contested so I didn't watch a lot of those.

In forwards vs backs

King vs mainly Howard = Max was the standout of this session. Took 3 contested clunkers in a row (2 vs Howard). Looked super sharp. I know it is just training but he looks a bit more mobile and certainly more sure of himself at the moment. Genuinely excited about what he can do this year.

Sharman vs Wilkie = Wilkie was the other standout in this session (whole day really). Beat Sharman in every contest and was just so clean and strong with everything. Sharman then spent a fair bit of time with Roughie and was much better when the match sims were on and he had more room to move.

Higgins vs various = this guy looks exceptional at the moment. Standout last week, again today he just looked so clever and creative.

Butler vs Sinclair = Sinclair was pretty dominant. Another one who is looking really solid at the moment.

Membery vs various = Members did not look "on". Did better in the match sim but struggled to get first hands on the ball.

Coffield looked really strong no matter who he was on.

Didn't see Billings or Gresham today - not sure if they weren't there or I just missed them. If they were there they were very quiet!

Match Sim

It was set up on rotation with midfield and defensive starts. Again divided into yellows and blacks but where last week the split seemed to be on 1st 22 vs 2nd 22 today seemed it was split more to provide match ups - Howard vs King for example.

Max dominated this session too. Looked great in the air and on the ground.

Clark did some clever stuff and looked better than last Friday I thought.

Hill also looked really sharp, mainly roaming around the back but won two contested situations

Windhager has got some serious burst speed, when he puts the foot down he goes past other players very quickly. He didn't do a lot today, was only briefly involved in team drills. looks like he is being eased in. My prediction for what it is worth - he will be the steal of the 2021 draft, "academy" pick notwithstanding.

General Stuff

Tom Campbell did laps of the oval the whole hour I was there - felt sorry for the guy!

Geary looked in great shape doing running work, didn't do anything competitive. Long and Kent also sat out any competitive work.

Thought Paddy looked like he had dropped energy from last Friday.

Again Josiah Kyle did not do much in the competitive drills ( he snapped one beautiful goal) and he seriously would not look out of place in an under 16 game. But he looks like he was born with a footy stuck to his hand and when he is off doing his little personal drills his movement reminds me most of Phil Krakoeur - that fast, darty little way whenever he has the ball. Long, long way to go but I will watch his development with interest.

We've pumped more money into the footy department, and left the SM department behind a bit from what I heard.

With the budget cuts, they are focused more on on field results than on line results

This account is doing a great job in the meantime

As is the plight of 98.5% of all the Irish that play the game. Joyce seems to have a good head on his shoulders though. So many of the Irish guys go over with a big fish mentality, but soon find out that they're just another sardine in a big school. That's why so many get "homesick." I know a few guys over here playing GAA to a good level, but they really do think that they're going to walk straight into AFL clubs without much effort.
I think it comes as a big shock to them...the whining, whingeing, and bitching from them & the GAA when they return only exacerbates their unrealistic expectations of what they perceive their talents to be. Personally I would rather these rookie spots be given to Aussie guys that actually WANT and know how to play the game.
Im sure hes only there due to being a free hit for depth. You have to have a few cheapies on the list.

First session I saw was backs vs forwards and at the same time there were some midfield drills going on in the centre. The midfield drills were not strongly contested so I didn't watch a lot of those.

In forwards vs backs

King vs mainly Howard = Max was the standout of this session. Took 3 contested clunkers in a row (2 vs Howard). Looked super sharp. I know it is just training but he looks a bit more mobile and certainly more sure of himself at the moment. Genuinely excited about what he can do this year.

Sharman vs Wilkie = Wilkie was the other standout in this session (whole day really). Beat Sharman in every contest and was just so clean and strong with everything. Sharman then spent a fair bit of time with Roughie and was much better when the match sims were on and he had more room to move.

Higgins vs various = this guy looks exceptional at the moment. Standout last week, again today he just looked so clever and creative.

Butler vs Sinclair = Sinclair was pretty dominant. Another one who is looking really solid at the moment.

Membery vs various = Members did not look "on". Did better in the match sim but struggled to get first hands on the ball.

Didn't see Billings or Gresham today - not sure if they weren't there or I just missed them. If they were there they were very quiet!

Match Sim

It was set up on rotation with midfield and defensive starts. Again divided into yellows and blacks but where last week the split seemed to be on 1st 22 vs 2nd 22 today seemed it was split more to provide match ups - Howard vs King for example.

Hill also looked really sharp, mainly roaming around the back but won two contested situations

Windhager has got some serious burst speed, when he puts the foot down he goes past other players very quickly. He didn't do a lot today, was only briefly involved in team drills. looks like he is being eased in. My prediction for what it is worth - he will be the steal of the 2021 draft, "academy" pick notwithstanding.

General Stuff

Tom Campbell did laps of the oval the whole hour I was there - felt sorry for the guy!

Geary looked in great shape doing running work, didn't do anything competitive. Long and Kent also sat out any competitive work.

Again Josiah Kyle did not do much in the competitive drills ( he snapped one beautiful goal) and he seriously would not look out of place in an under 16 game. But he looks like he was born with a footy stuck to his hand and when he is off doing his little personal drills his movement reminds me most of Phil Krakoeur - that fast, darty little way whenever he has the ball. Long, long way to go but I will watch his development with interest.
Did NWM train?

In forwards vs backs

Match Sim

General Stuff

Great stuff Thanks

As is the plight of 98.5% of all the Irish that play the game. Joyce seems to have a good head on his shoulders though. So many of the Irish guys go over with a big fish mentality, but soon find out that they're just another sardine in a big school. That's why so many get "homesick." I know a few guys over here playing GAA to a good level, but they really do think that they're going to walk straight into AFL clubs without much effort.
I think it comes as a big shock to them...the whining, whingeing, and bitching from them & the GAA when they return only exacerbates their unrealistic expectations of what they perceive their talents to be. Personally I would rather these rookie spots be given to Aussie guys that actually WANT and know how to play the game.
Thats is some generalisation and Tbh i read nothing but Irish guys appreciating what the AFL has down for them and how much they have grown personally and as athletes- no great whinging from what i can tell. Btw 98% is way off the mark imo.

Here’s the thing I’ve emailed the club and offered to do media stuff for free. In fact I might do it again.

Yep, if they really wanted to improve things it’s not like couldn’t get someone qualified to volunteer.
Like honestly half of us here would be happy to right training reports, draft profiles, heck I’d do interviews of the guys if I could. I’ve listened to the podcasts and honestly some of their interviewing is pretty poor in my opionion.

Thats is some generalisation and Tbh i read nothing but Irish guys appreciating what the AFL has down for them and how much they have grown personally and as athletes- no great whinging from what i can tell. Btw 98% is way off the mark imo.
Jimmy Stein seemed to go OK. Been plenty of other Irish lads to make it in the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, if they really wanted to improve things it’s not like couldn’t get someone qualified to volunteer.

Don’t we have a tie-up with Monash and/or Homlesglen ?

Would think a couple of the Marketing/Comms students would be happy to do it as interns to get some work experience.

Not that hard surely.

Im sure hes only there due to being a free hit for depth. You have to have a few cheapies on the list.
Yep, too true...and in a way that's kind of what I'm getting at. Joyce seems to have the maturity that many of the the other imports lack. He seems aware that he is there to fill a gap in case of injury, and that he is not - and never will be - a superstar, or that is owed a position within the starting lineup. If more of his countrymen had the same mindset, the Irish experiments would be far better off...and I wouldn't have to listen to every Paddy, swilling Guinness whilst eating a shite sausage, tell me about how we're exploiting their precious boys like their priests in a 1940's orphanage.

Last edited:

You're from Kilkenny aren't you...or was it Kidare? Look I would like to agree with you, but I can't. Maybe it's more that the local media goes into a bit of a 'tizz when an Irish boy comes back to Ireland. There has been a very anti AFL outlook in most cases within Ireland, with the view that it's draining the GAA (I think there is roughly 20 Irish players on ALL of the AFL lists...a tiny proportion of which will go on to play a few games, and an even tinier percentage that will play regularly, in any case...it's hardly draining the pool)
There have been more than a few disgruntled ex employees coming back to Ireland with a dented sense of entitlement. Personally, and I by no means speak for anyone else, I think the experiment doesn't work. The GAA hates it, the Irish sports media hate it (love clickbait though, so apples and oranges) and the locals hate it. Most the boys that come back have a pretty checkered GAA career on return too, with the sentiment being that the AFL ruined them. Maybe there are a few that are grateful, but in my experience being over here for over 20 years, this is not the case.

Jimmy Stein seemed to go OK. Been plenty of other Irish lads to make it in the AFL
Stein definitely number 1. Kennelly (not sure of spelling) was great too, and the bloke playing for the cats is more than handy. Majority unfortunately don't make the grade. I think the resources would be better placed on pathways for homegrown talent.

Stein definitely number 1. Kennelly (not sure of spelling) was great too, and the bloke playing for the cats is more than handy. Majority unfortunately don't make the grade. I think the resources would be better placed on pathways for homegrown talent.
Majority of home grown players don't make the grade either. To reach the top shows the skill of the few players from Ireland to make it.
Joyce has not disgraced himself when he had gotten a gig.
Spots are tough back there and he is really good depth. A few ahead of him.

Majority of home grown players don't make the grade either. To reach the top shows the skill of the few players from Ireland to make it.
Joyce has not disgraced himself when he had gotten a gig.
Spots are tough back there and he is really good depth. A few ahead of him.
Agree, Joyce has certainly not disgraced himself at all (my other posts are quite adamant on Joyce's place within the team) And yes, you're also quite correct about the homegrown players, but I think the strike rate of finding a potential diamond in the rough is deeper within the other leagues playing AFL, than finding it 12000 miles away with a game sharing "traits" of the same game.
One thing I will give the GAA is that they are absolutely fantastic at building community through the sport...from a grass roots level to the upper tiers. Their model is very consistent and yields good results in regards to their brand, not just in Ireland but abroad also (particularly the U.S.A. & Canada) they've been better at growing the game (due largely to expat communities admittedly) than the AFL has, and have been doing it for longer. It's something the AFL could take on board themselves as they seek to expand...and might also potentially help bring both codes closer together and make the relationship mutually beneficial rather than the somewhat tetchy one that exists now.

Gee we look fit this year. Obviously pre season is always a time when players look fit and optimism is high.
But I genuinely felt like last pre season we didn’t look overly fit, especially in comparison to this year.
Key examples are Steele, Gresh and Marshall. Steeley looks trim af atm and looks primed to go to another level if that’s even possible. And Marshall and Gresh both look to have significantly slimmed down from last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back